PDA

View Full Version : CH Pedals

JugHead-usmc
03-07-2006, 12:05 PM
How do these work? Do they manage your rudder? and what are you thoughts dislikes/likes of these. Now I have a normal size foot size 9 are these comfronatable? Should I some how mount them to the floor for better flight? Please exucse the questions. Its about time I invest in these?

notamuppet
03-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Hello JugHead If you like a bit of fun read this thread. http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/3881052714

Major_V
03-07-2006, 12:29 PM
JugHead:

I have them and would not fly without them. Yes, they control the rudder just like in a real airplane.

The likes: work very well, reliable, usb cable provided (CH Pro Pedals), allow for realistic and precise rudder control.

The dislikes: pedals are too close together! Not highly uncomfortable, but they could use another 4-5" of separation. Also, they are fairly lightweight and will slide around unless they are anchored or wedged up against a wall or desk.

Major V

Bearcat99
03-07-2006, 05:46 PM
The only way to fly.

Prop_Strike
03-08-2006, 12:43 AM
Love my CH Pro Pedals as well, but like Major_V said...wish they were wider!!
Has anyone modified theirs to be 4-6" wider without breaking or putting any strain on them?
If so, can you explain how? Preferable with photos..... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Worf101
03-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Major_V:
JugHead:

The dislikes: pedals are too close together! Not highly uncomfortable, but they could use another 4-5" of separation. Also, they are fairly lightweight and will slide around unless they are anchored or wedged up against a wall or desk.

Major V

This "dislike" is enough for me to start looking for a different set of pedals. I may go with with a set of Thrustmaster Elites but I'd prefer a set of Simpeds. Problem is Dieter, the one man gang behind Simpeds, is sick with cancer and all production of his pedals have ceased. But truth be told, I don't know how much longer I can continue to scrunch my feet in such an awkward angle.

Da Worfster

Waldo.Pepper
03-08-2006, 12:49 PM
I am 6'4" tall. My ch pro pedals are perfect for me.

My advice? Try them before you codemn them as too close together.

bazzaah2
03-08-2006, 12:57 PM
had mine for about 4 years now and am really happy with them.

R_Target
03-08-2006, 02:07 PM
I've had mine about two months and love 'em. The pedals are a little close together as the others have noted, but it's no dealbreaker.

VMF-214_HaVoK
03-08-2006, 02:41 PM
Just got my set amost 2 weeks ago. I can see the promise in the. But after using a twist stick for 6 years I been getting my butt handed to me. But I do feel once I get use to them I would not fly with out them. I went through the same process when I got my X52 and had to get use to using a throttle.

x6BL_Brando
03-08-2006, 04:02 PM
I don't think height really affects pedals. The ergonomics of position are more to the point when setting up pedals and are related to the distance from one's *** to the floor, and how far forward the pedals are set from a centreline perpendicular through a fixed point (crown of the head for example.) This can be tricky to set up if the desk is too small front to back and set up against the wall, or is one of those horrible pieces of PC store furniture with a pull out drawer for the keyboard yukness. I'm 5'6" - my best buddy is 6'4" with size 11 feet. He can use my pedals with no problem, as long as the pedals are further away from his centre line
Obesity might be a different matter I suppose.

han freak solo
03-09-2006, 09:11 AM
+1 on the CH pedals here.

I admit, when I first got mine last summer, I thought the pedals were too close together as well. Once you get used to them and let your feet hang off the sides a little they are the ticket, baby!

I think the size is a good compromise since they are made for the PC and fit under PC desks no problemo.

Do I love my pedals? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/inlove.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

horseback
03-09-2006, 09:46 AM
Been flying with mine for three years now, and just the thought of trying to fly the 4.0X series with a twisty stick gives me hives.

I have my sensitivities way down for yaw (you'd be amazed what a difference a subtle rudder application makes in a turn or coming out of a roll), and I usually fly in my socks or a pair of Ugg boots (on cold days..."Daddy's got his flying boots on!"). I have set my controllers up so that they are ALWAYS in exactly the same place (I made a 1/2 inch thick board with cutouts for my stick and throttle that fits snugly on top of my keyboard drawer), with the pedals braced so that they don't slide around.

My office type adjustable rolling chair is replaced with a comfortable 'fixed' chair, too. Fortunately, my feet are only size nines, so they fit on the pedals, but it seems to me that it wouldn't take much to add wooden or high impact plastic 'extensions' to widen the stance or make a bigger footspace that you could attach to the pedals.

Given the lack of cost-effective alternatives to CH Pedals, I'd take a serious look at the modification route if the physical fit is wrong.

cheers

horseback

T_O_A_D
03-09-2006, 09:47 AM
I'm not going to hack on my CH pedals, They fit me fine. 5'11", 10 1/2EEE feet.

But you guys with a cramped feel to them. Why dont you just make some pads to bolt on the pedals and widen the area to place your feet.

I don't place my feet all the way on them anyway, exept to push the toe brake. Other wise my toes are just on the bottom of them to keep me from stomping on them anyway.

If its sliding around put them on a rug, or some of that woven foam rubber stuff for kitchen cuboards and drawers, to keep stuff from sliding around.

EDIT-----------
Hah I see horseback and I was typing about the ame response http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Vacillator
03-09-2006, 09:55 AM
What TOAD said:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> I don't place my feet all the way on them anyway, exept to push the toe brake.
Other wise my toes are just on the bottom of them to keep me from stomping on them anyway. </pre>

Great piece of kit.

Redwulf 32 - Nis
03-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Bought a set of CH pedals over a year ago. Don't know how I managed without 'em. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

On the con side, I discovered that they had a very unnatural, immersion killing center detent. Nearly made me throw them away. However, after removing the offending detent, immersion returned (tad soft maybe but nothing you can't get used to).

arjisme
03-09-2006, 10:33 AM
I recommend these pedals as well. They are very good, especially for the cost.

On the negatives, I agree they are too close together. If I want to put my feet fully on them, it is an unnatural and uncomfortable position. I'm much more comfortable with my toes pointing 45 degress outward. I adjust by resting my heels on the pedals and just let the feet rest a bit sideways on them. No deal breaker, but it is the one thing I would like see changed. If they were wider, I think they would be more comfortable.

Also, the edge at the bottom of the pedals (heel rests against) is uncomfortable, especially as it does go up the sides of each pedal a bit. But, still, no deal breaker. I use these and wouldn't fly without them.

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-09-2006, 11:08 AM
If you've any experience at all in a real airplane, you'll want a set of pedals. I also use the CH PRo pedals and they work just fine for me. I have them under my Akers-Barnes pit and they're just about the right width to provide good function and not crowd the sidewalls.

Because they can double as a throttle/brake combo for driving sims, the toe axis has considerable travel (relative to RL rudder/brake pedals anyway), but for the $100 you spend, you get a great set of pedals that should last years.

TB

RevvinUK
03-09-2006, 11:19 AM
It would be easy to add some plates to make the foot position wider apart, I see some Cougar owners here so surely they must be used to modding by now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Personally the CH Pedals suit me just fine, not too close together and sufficiently sprung to give some resistance but not too much so that I can make smooth adjustment.

gates123
03-09-2006, 03:00 PM
I've had mine for about 6 months, there are great but I still seem to be tweaking the config settings after every patch here and there. Can some of you post your settings, I seem to be pretty happy lately where I'm at with precision gunnery but im always open to testing new ones.

3,5,8,12,17,25,34,45,68,100 0.1 filter

han freak solo
03-09-2006, 06:37 PM
Z=0 0 2 5 7 14 28 42 65 85 100 60

Same set up I found to work for me since the original 4.oh whatever. I upped the last item (filter?) from 0 to 60 since 4.03.

BTW, I use a really "floppy" lean back chair. Using the pedals requires me to do a constant sit up. At least that's what I tell myself to satisfy my need for exercise. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

El Turo
03-09-2006, 07:16 PM
I'm on the larger side at 6'6", size 14 shoes.. as long as I fly in socks, I've had no problems with the size of the pedals whatsoever. They work today just as well as the day I pulled them out of the box 5+ years ago. Rock solid.

I will mirror what others have said about feet hanging off.. I generally fly with either the balls of my feet on the bottoms of the pedals themselves (with heels resting on floor), or with the balls of my feet in the middle of the pedal and the edges of my feet hanging off the sides a bit. Whatever works, though! Definately.. DEFINATELY worth the purchase. SO much better control than twisties or rocker arms (shudder).

JugHead-usmc
03-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Well hell, you dudes are far more taller than I. I'm a 5,4 midget in comparison to you dudes. I might get these. What are they like 150.00?

JugHead-usmc
03-09-2006, 09:19 PM
My last question about CH Pedals, do you dudes have any suggestions on where to purchase these? I dont want to wait. I would like to get them at a store somewhere. I live in the Midwest in Kansas City do you live here and do you have a store you can suggest on picking these bad dudes up?

_VR_ScorpionWorm
03-09-2006, 09:25 PM
www.provantage.com (http://www.provantage.com)

Got mine from here for only $98.XX, total paid was only $102.XX(with shipping to Texas)

I agree about the center detent, hate it but great addition, I have a homebuilt 'pit so my heels fit inside the bottoms and I just have me feet at a good 45 degree angle, I'm comfortable and only need to bring my toes onto the pedals for the brake.

_VR_ScorpionWorm
03-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Oh, and CompUSA is the only retailer that sometimes carries them.

Waldo.Pepper
03-09-2006, 09:33 PM
do you dudes have any suggestions on where to purchase these?
Ebay all the way! 35 clams!

_VR_ScorpionWorm
03-09-2006, 09:33 PM
To get some shipped to Kansas:

$96.51 ground shipping, you'll have to go the whole way to see if there are any taxes.

_VR_ScorpionWorm
03-09-2006, 09:44 PM
Here's how mine fit in with my setup. This is a bit of an older pic, now have a more powerfull rig and TrackIR.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/Scorpion08/normal_Cockpit2.jpg