PDA

View Full Version : Chessmaster DS elo 1850

EdwardsNH
10-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Forgot to put that in my review.

I imagine that's pretty accurate, since they aren't dealing with dozens of possible processors.

Plenty strong enough for me, but I imagine there are some folk out there that that might not be enough for http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Arkansaw
10-31-2007, 06:59 AM
If this figure is accurate even on the longest time controls...I would think it is a little too weak

EdwardsNH
10-31-2007, 09:20 AM
Seriously not trying to be sarcastic here, but what are you rated?

I know a lot of people that buy chess programs based on their crazy high rating, and these people are below 1600.

I'm not sure I get the reasoning.

I know a person who has done some serious studying may be higher than that, but does the average Joe see 1850 and say, "Well, I may pass that in a couple of years, so it's not worth it".

Again, no sarcasm intended... Am I missing something?

Arkansaw
10-31-2007, 09:45 AM
I'm around class B strength...if that figure is correct it would mean that over the long run, if I try to play serious games with it I should score around 50%. But what I would prefer, is a higher maximum strength than 1800s (though not that I would want to play at this setting all the time).

likesforests
10-31-2007, 10:23 AM
An engine's strength is also important for analysis and endgame practice. Eg, an 1800-rated engine may find most tactical errors, but it often missed positional errors and plays a weak endgame. I often crush Crafty (2500) in endgames where Rybka (3100) manages to draw or even defeat me, and I'm definitely rated under 2000.

EdwardsNH
10-31-2007, 11:24 AM
ah... That makes sense to me and my under 2000 play.

I liked the "set up position" option of the DS, and have been using it to practice some routine endgames, so this is good to know. I would think a simple tablebase would be small enough to fit on the DS cart, though I doubt it is there.

cpl_trim
11-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Well, it's generically "Elo". It doesn't say specifically "USCF" or "FIDE". But I suppose it's reasonable to assume equivalency. What is the rating of the PC version of CM11 ? How much strength is lost on account of the inferior processing power of the DS ?

I'm pretty happy with it so far. I'm just getting back into chess after playing very little for the last 20 years. My last USCF rating was 1766 in the mid-80's. So far, the AI character's play on Hard is giving me good competition while I shake off the rust. Seems prone to hang a piece here and there and make aimless moves when you keep the pressure on, but on the other hand, quick to punish human player's mistakes.

One thing puzzles me, the ratings for Analytical Reasoning, Memory and Focus. How are these derived and what do they relate to ? You get some "Brain Age" progress graphs of these categories, but without anything to relate the values to, it's a little hard to see the point.

likesforests
11-06-2007, 08:52 PM
What is the rating of the PC version of CM11 ?
It's rated 2946 on my computer; probably +/- 75 points on other systems.