PDA

View Full Version : What does Weapon Convergence Distances mean?

Tuskegee1989
06-14-2008, 01:19 AM
And what does the little numbers at the bottom stand for?

OMK_Hand
06-14-2008, 01:45 AM
Hi Tuskegee1989.

Thanks to Bearcat and masses of helpful people who've invested an extraordinary amount of interest and passion, all that you need to get going can be found here:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=51910959

major_setback
06-14-2008, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by Tuskegee1989:
The guns are set pointing slightly inwards so that bullets or shells will meet at some point in the distance (converge). You can set that distance. The numbers are in metres ie 500m convergence, where the bullets will roughly meet at 500m in front of your plane.

From the web:
"The Spitfire had eight Browning machine-guns spread out along the wing. These each had 300 rounds of normal bullets, tracer, incendiary or armour-piercing (the last type only effective against the thinnest of armour). The guns were configured so that the bullets converged on a single point some distance in front of the aircraft. At first this distance was over 400 yards, however pilots soon found that the best results were obtained if they made it 250 or 200 yards instead. The use of eight machine-guns meant that even the novice fighter-pilots thrown into the battle by the British had a chance of hitting something if they could get into firing position.The Spitfire had eight Browning machine-guns spread out along the wing. These each had 300 rounds of normal bullets, tracer, incendiary or armour-piercing (the last type only effective against the thinnest of armour). The guns were configured so that the bullets converged on a single point some distance in front of the aircraft. At first this distance was over 400 yards, however pilots soon found that the best results were obtained if they made it 250 or 200 yards instead. The use of eight machine-guns meant that even the novice fighter-pilots thrown into the battle by the British had a chance of hitting something if they could get into firing position."

BWaltteri
06-14-2008, 06:18 AM
Flying a Bf-109E I missed the enemy always with my wing cannons when flying close so I had to set the convergence to 200m.

Uufflakke
06-14-2008, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Tuskegee1989:

I suppose you are talking about the red coloured numbers in the left bottom corner during your flight?

SPD = Speed
Alt = Altitude
HDG = Heading in Degrees (which is your compass: N=0, E=90, S=180, W=270 degrees)

All three of them you can switch off.

Tuskegee1989
06-14-2008, 09:07 AM
I didn't mean that but thanks anyways. I was talking about when you go into your arming your weapons set up.

Bremspropeller
06-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Weapon convergence means that your projectile-trajectories intersect each other instead of running in parallel.

The convergence setting sets up a defined distance in front of your aircraft where that intersection happens.
Also, the projectiles will be right in center of your gunsight at that range.

As the projectiles follow a parabolic trajectory, closer in than convergence-range means, the rounds are above our sight, farther than convergence-setting means, the rounds are below your sight and the paths have crossed - rounds from the right-hand gun(s) will be on the left of the sight and vice-versa.

Basicly, you shuld set the convergence between 450m (pretty far out) and 100m (pretty close in) - any other value is either too high or too low.
One meter is a little more than one yard or 3.3 feet.

Tully__
06-14-2008, 11:46 PM
http://mywebsite.bigpond.com/dav2ken/Convergence.jpg

Bremspropeller
06-15-2008, 06:28 AM
Alright, the pic says it all.
Forget what I wrote about shells short of convergence being above.
They're BELOW the sightline as you can see in Tully's diagram.

PapaLazarou.LoG
06-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Also remember that when chasing a target at 6, if it's at 200m from you, the convergence point will be hit closer than him, because bullets will have to travel more than 200m to reach him.
These things along with vertical convergence are way more pronounced with slower rounds as >20mm.

SeaFireLIV
06-15-2008, 03:40 PM
Perfect, tully. That`s just what`s needed.

Tully__
06-17-2008, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by Bremspropeller:
Alright, the pic says it all.
Forget what I wrote about shells short of convergence being above.
They're BELOW the sightline as you can see in Tully's diagram.

They might be above for part of the trajectory if you have your convergence set to very long range.