PDA

View Full Version : Myst IV EAX or Multichannel Audio

groucho64738
10-01-2004, 02:07 PM
Does anyone know if Myst IV is really supporting EAX and/or multichannel audio? I have a Creative Audigy 2 ZX with a 7.1 speaker system, and I'm only getting sound through the front 3 channels, nothing through the rear/side channels.

Uru had good sound support, is that not the case with this game?

maztec
10-01-2004, 02:29 PM
I believe the game is not surround. Would expect to see that on the box. It does support some amount of stereo/three speaker action.

If I'm wrong, someone correct me.

groucho64738
10-01-2004, 02:37 PM
That seems to be what I'm gathering. That's a real step backwards from the last ubisoft myst they released. They're working really hard with releasing high quality video and dvds and stuff, but didn't bother with the audio. Especially when there's birds and animals and stuff....that's really lame.

maztec
10-01-2004, 03:32 PM
Myst 3 Exile supported EAX/Multichannel? Hadn't realized that....

groucho64738
10-01-2004, 08:10 PM
I was referring to Myst URU. I guess that's a completely different development group?

maztec
10-01-2004, 08:30 PM
groucho, that was done by Cyan and is a 3D app. Although it was published by Ubi.

In the case of Revelation it was produced, developed, and published by Ubi. Cyan just gets their name on it because Myst is a Cyan brandname.

Oh, by the way. Got the dirt on it. Revelation supports 2.1 sound and does not support 5.1.

So stereo but not surround. Figuring that you're more or less standing inside a bubble it makes some amount of sense.. at the same time, standing in abubble with 5.1 or even 7.1 would have been truly awesome.

So there we have it.

byronhinson
10-02-2004, 03:54 AM
Certainly surprised they did not go with 5.1 sound especially with it being on DVD and filled with sound effects and even the way in which tapping every object in the game produces something different. Quite disappointed with the sound side surprisingly.

Equisilus
10-02-2004, 04:21 AM
I have the same setup (Augigy 2 ZS with 7.1 speakers) and am also disappointed that one of the few games that I expected to support surround sound doesn't. It's especially disheartening considering that graphics and sound are important qualities in an adventure game, and particularly in the Myst universe.

That's not to say that Myst IV is a poor game because of the lack of surround (far from it, I think what I've seen up to now is amazing), just that it is a poorer game as a result.

AFGNCAAP
10-02-2004, 12:24 PM
Funny how the manual plugs the Audigy2 ZS 7.1 sound card when surround isn't supported.

stakyr
10-08-2004, 08:43 AM
more over the game is supposed to be in dolby digital, which in this case and using DD prologic, could give the suuround feeling
maybe the guys over cyan or ubi, could make a patch, not for multichannel audio, i know this is not possible (in terms of work needed and final size) (or is it?), but for support of the cmss feature of the eax, or encode in DD.
I think even if the outcome is more than 200mb everyone will be more than glad to dl it

just a thought

maztec
10-08-2004, 12:51 PM
When you're in a scene the game plays in surround 2.1 for a whole slew of reasons.

When you're in a video sequence it supports 5.1

Hope that helps. Apparently it autodetects and does as appropriate.

agj3
10-10-2004, 10:57 AM
I'm running EAX in "GAME" emulation and appear to be getting 5.1 sound. How discrete it is I don't know, but all 6ix speakers are outputting... I can level adjust surround and subwoofer.

I was getting 2.1 front only until I went in and fooled around with the EAX consol. Lots of options there. I'm SB Audiology, BTW.

Stedmister
10-11-2004, 11:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by agj3:
I'm running EAX in "GAME" emulation and appear to be getting 5.1 sound. How discrete it is I don't know, but all 6ix speakers are outputting... I can level adjust surround and subwoofer.

I was getting 2.1 front only until I went in and fooled around with the EAX consol. Lots of options there. I'm SB Audiology, BTW. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

EAX will do that with any game as long as you ajust the settings.