PDA

View Full Version : Canopy Glass

Sooocool
08-10-2008, 06:33 PM
I have heard that WW2 aircraft generally had a one inch thick piece of bullet proof glass in front of the pilot or gunner, but was wondering about the rest of the canopy. In IL-2, the canopy gets holes but does not shatter completely. Was it Plexiglas, plastic, or some form of safety glass similar to automotive?

WTE_Galway
08-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Sooocool:
I have heard that WW2 aircraft generally had a one inch thick piece of bullet proof glass in front of the pilot or gunner, but was wondering about the rest of the canopy. In IL-2, the canopy gets holes but does not shatter completely. Was it Plexiglas, plastic, or some form of safety glass similar to automotive?

I think the bullet holes in game are like the camera lenses flare .. pure artistic licence.

As for what materials ... apparently in Russian planes early war a variety of cellophane that yellowed with age. Which explains the tendency of early war VVS pilots to fly sans canopy. It enabled them to see.

VW-IceFire
08-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Don't know too much about this...but I keep hearing about some of the British and American planes having Perspex type glass (?). Or blown-Perspex. Not sure what its qualities were.

ImMoreBetter
08-10-2008, 07:27 PM
I also recall Perspex.

Plexiglass is just a tradename of perspex.

luftluuver
08-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Fighters got 'bullet proof' wind screens with the rest of the canopy perspex.