PDA

View Full Version : No sound in IL2:FB

XyZspineZyX
11-09-2003, 06:59 PM
Initially I had the graphics set to 1024x768x32 with full detail, and I had the sound set the highest quality with hardware acceleration turned out.

The tutorial tracks ran at a nice pace, but trying an actual mission was a nightmare. There were constant pauses and stutters, and moving the view around the cockpit nearly brought the game to a halt.

I read somewhere that turning off hardware acceleration for the sound can improve performance. There was a very noticable improvement when I gave it a try. The view could be moved around the cockpit almost smoothly, and there was a significant decrease in the frequence of the pauses.

After using this setup for a while, I decided to go ahead and turn the sound of completely. In addition to not caring much for the radio chatter, I thought the sound was not necessary for the enjoyment of the game in the first place, and I wanted to see whether there would be another noticable improvement in performance.

Indeed, there was. Stutters occur very rarely now, perhaps a very brief one every 15 or 20 minutes. The over the top radio calls are gone, and I do not miss the sound of the engine or of the cannons too much. Meanwhile, I can run the game at a relatively high resolution in 32 bit color mode and with full detail, without the performance suffering.

I doubt that the benefits of turning off the sound are a secret, but I thought I'd share it anyway for those who are looking to sqeeze a few more FPS out of the game.

XyZspineZyX
11-09-2003, 06:59 PM
Initially I had the graphics set to 1024x768x32 with full detail, and I had the sound set the highest quality with hardware acceleration turned out.

The tutorial tracks ran at a nice pace, but trying an actual mission was a nightmare. There were constant pauses and stutters, and moving the view around the cockpit nearly brought the game to a halt.

I read somewhere that turning off hardware acceleration for the sound can improve performance. There was a very noticable improvement when I gave it a try. The view could be moved around the cockpit almost smoothly, and there was a significant decrease in the frequence of the pauses.

After using this setup for a while, I decided to go ahead and turn the sound of completely. In addition to not caring much for the radio chatter, I thought the sound was not necessary for the enjoyment of the game in the first place, and I wanted to see whether there would be another noticable improvement in performance.

Indeed, there was. Stutters occur very rarely now, perhaps a very brief one every 15 or 20 minutes. The over the top radio calls are gone, and I do not miss the sound of the engine or of the cannons too much. Meanwhile, I can run the game at a relatively high resolution in 32 bit color mode and with full detail, without the performance suffering.

I doubt that the benefits of turning off the sound are a secret, but I thought I'd share it anyway for those who are looking to sqeeze a few more FPS out of the game.

XyZspineZyX
11-09-2003, 10:56 PM
I knew it allready but, it's nice you posted this. However, I think that sound is an essential part of this game so, I leave it on. The sound always has been the weakest link of Il-2 and FB. Someone said that the reason for the sound-issued stutters is that the sound cards don't evolve as fast as the graphic cards. I have an onboard sound card and I leave it on.

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye
shall be judged: and with what
measure ye mete, it shall be
measured to you again.

http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/templates/subSilver/images/logo_phpBB.gif (http://acompletewasteofspace.com/forum/index.php)

XyZspineZyX
11-09-2003, 11:29 PM
So you are suggesting we turn off ALL sound for faster, smoother play?

This reminds me of an Aesop fable where the Fox (who had his tail cut off by an irate farmer) told everyone else to cut off their tails cos it looked cool!

I advise going to the Technical forum and check out the great Hunter82`s simple but very effective fixes on improving sound yet improving smoothness and reducing stutter...

"Tis better to work towards an Impossible Good, rather than a Possible Evil."

SeaFireLIV.
(Spitfire & Escape Whiner Member).

Message Edited on 11/09/0310:30PM by SeaFireLIV

XyZspineZyX
11-10-2003, 03:39 PM
It was an observation on how much the sound can affect the overall performance, and a suggestion for one possible remedy to speed up the game if you do not want to lower the graphics settings and if all else fails.

In my case, the Turtle Beach card I have is not being very cooperative, so turning off the sound seemed to work well for me. Of course it is not for everyone, as it is not always necessary or desirable.

Thanks for the tip; I will take a closer look at Hunter82's suggestions.