PDA

View Full Version : Carrier Landing's!

woofiedog
11-03-2004, 08:03 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif Is it just me... or am I just getting Better at Crashing into the Stern or having what is left of my Aircraft falling off the Stern of those Carriers.
If I was a real Naval Avator... there wouldn't be anything to send home in a Envolpe.
I guess I would save the Navy in shipping Cost.
I'd be happier if the Piecies would at lest stay on the Flight Deck.
Then I could say I made it in... well in piecies ... but at lest on top of the Deck.

T_O_A_D
11-03-2004, 08:23 AM
Here watch mine they might help as an example
http://www.french.themotorhead.com/il2/viewtopic.php?t=52

Gooner01
11-03-2004, 08:27 AM
LOL, I hear you, Woofie. My problem is, I hit the deck OK, but fail to catch a wire, end up off the bow into the drink, whereupon I am immediately run down by the ship. Oh, well- more practice, I guess. I have the most success with Wildcats or Zekes. I haven't gotten a Corsair down safely yet!
S! Gooner

scootertgm
11-03-2004, 09:54 AM
When you hit teh deck if you don't catch a wire right away, you need to go to 110% throttle and bolter.

Whats funny, is if you watch vintage carrier landings, it literally looked as if they just "Plopped" on teh deck. they came in slow and stalled onto teh deck as iff they didn't eve need a wire...

Simjock
11-03-2004, 11:35 AM
I just made my first carrier landing in PF. I had to go around several time but I finaly caught the secound cable I learned that a high angle of attack on aproach gives the tail hook a better chance of catching somthing.

Once you do land, celebrate later cause chances are there's another plane on aproach right behind you.

woofiedog
11-03-2004, 01:36 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif Great video's TOAD!
I'm hopeful with a little more practice the Deck Crew on that Carrier wouldn't have to keep repaintimg the Stern.
Thank's for all the encouragement and information... the Crew on that Carrier will stop shaking everytime I come around with a New Aircraft.

Taylortony
11-03-2004, 04:14 PM
woofie read the pf read me file in the folder there is an aide to landing to get you on the ball have copied it below for you...does this help?

How to land on an aircraft carrier

First and foremost, come in from the stern (i.e. from behind).
In order to make it easier to learn, we€ve included a non-historical helper feature that may be useful for people who otherwise find it difficult to land on the carrier.
If you turn off the 3D cockpit (Shift-F1 by default, with €œNo Cockpit€ set to On in the Difficulty section), you will see an extra reticle floating around the virtual cockpit. When landing, try to keep decreasing your airspeed, and keep the reticle on the centerline of the carrier deck, at about 1/5th of the total length away from the stern. In other words, this reticle shows you the direction of your speed vector, and the landing angle should be about twice as shallow as when landing on a land strip.
Also, remember that a three-point landing is a requirement, not an option when it comes to aircraft carriers. First of all, it€s virtually unavoidable when you land at an appropriately low airspeed. Secondly, most arrestor hooks are simply not long enough to snag a wire if you land with your tailwheel high above the deck. Finally, a two-point landing is likely to cause a rather strong bounce, that can be especially disastrous if you did snag a wire. As your landing airspeed increases, so do the chances of catastrophic failure.
We very highly recommend practicing this a lot before going into combat, especially online. There you will encounter carriers moving at greatly varying speeds in greatly varying weather conditions. Start with a fast-moving carrier in clear weather first, as this allows you higher approach speeds and a stationary carrier deck.

woofiedog
11-03-2004, 10:49 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif Thank You Taylortony... this will help me out abit.
As the old saying go's... practice make's perfect.
It's one of the hurdles... a new challages that gives us something new to work on.
Maybe we can have a Best Carrier Landing Competion!
And submit a video clip of your best Carrier Landing.
I must say though... I am having a Ball with Pacific Fighters and learning Carrier Landings is another part of staying alive along with Air Combat with the Enemy.
It's all part of the Game.

T_O_A_D
11-04-2004, 04:29 AM
Thanks Woofiedog

I didn't record it, but I managed a landing while under fire cripled and more enemy attacking Online. I broke my gear and prop in the hastend attempt. I guess the deck hands must of pushed the wreck overboard. What a rush much more than the normal Vulching attempts on Land runways.

Carrier Ops are my Favorite have been for along time. I'm realy pleased to be able to do it with this Game engine finally.

woofiedog
11-04-2004, 06:28 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gifI agree fully about having Carriers added to IL-2.
Landing on the deck of a Carrier is almost a new Game in it's self.... and boy do I need more practise.
The closest I came at a good landing... I ran out of gas from all the fly off's.
But I'm still admazed at the Great Job Oleg and the rest of the team did on PF.
I'm sure this is going to bring in a lot more newer flyers for the Game.

mortoma
11-04-2004, 10:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gooner01:
LOL, I hear you, Woofie. My problem is, I hit the deck OK, but fail to catch a wire, end up off the bow into the drink, whereupon I am immediately run down by the ship. Oh, well- more practice, I guess. I have the most success with Wildcats or Zekes. I haven't gotten a Corsair down safely yet!
S! Gooner <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You are going too fast then. The best thing to do is to practice your approach and find out where the plane starts to stall and drop a wing. Then use a speed only slightly above that speed from then on. Even if you have to crash a few times during your practices, it's no big deal. You simply must find that minimum flyable approach speed. If you go too fast, the a$$ end of your plane will be too high in the air, and the hook won't catch. This is even more true of the Japanese planes, which have a hook that doesn't hang down very far at all. Not much lower than the tail wheel itself. You have to do a perfect three point landing to hang up a Japanese plane. Also, you are supposed to immediately hit full throttle a second or two after hitting the deck, that way if you don't catch you will go off the bow end and take off again and not go in the water. This is the way they do it in real life. Always hit that throttle. If you hook up, then the full throttle will not be a big deal and you can then cut the throttle, once you see you're hooked up. But if you don't hook up, at least you'll be able to do a go-around and try it again!!!

ddsflyer
11-04-2004, 11:10 AM
The carrier landing flight model still needs a lot of work. These planes float way too much when the power is pulled and the gear is way too bouncy. Watch films of real WW2 carrier landings.

1. When the pilot cuts power the plane should drop like a stone. This is true of all larger higher powered aircraft. Once established in slow flight with power on, a sudden reduction of power causes much prop drag and immediate loss of lift due to loss of prop slipstream over the wing.

2. Real oleo struts are pretty good shock absorbers, especially the long-stroke kind favored by the Navy. Only the earliest Corsairs had the bounce problem, certainly not the later ones and the Hellcats.

3. Corsair pilots used a constantly turning approach because the long nose blocked the view of the carrier deck in 3-point attitude. In the Grummans you could see over the nose

F16_Petter
11-05-2004, 02:37 AM
I used to have some difficulties too at first but, after practicing on static aircraft carriers it made it easier.

It should be the other way around but, somehow...

MOhz
11-05-2004, 04:13 AM
petter, is that a buffalo?? because if so then i must say that i fear flying that plane because it is a pain to land...!! i fear the buffalo more landing than engaging an enemy! it just bounces like crazy, really the landing gears are ......

WTE_Ibis
11-05-2004, 04:57 AM
Me too...ar..well i'm beautiful see my avatar