Frenchminem
04-27-2005, 04:22 AM
Hi!!!
I still have a bad FPS rate, while using an
AMD 3500+ 64bit
1GB DDR 400MHZ dual mode
ASUS A8V deluxe
GeFORCE 6800GT 256MB...
I tested the black death track... with... in all perfect, with 1024*768... only 25FPS, at best, and 4-5 FPS, when explosions effects happens.... I still don't understand why this game don't work better!
I tried in 640*480, with 16bits, and all option at lower... I'm still so far of 100fps...just can reach 60fps.... ????
maybe I'm using a so bad driver... wich one is the more used by IL2 players, on Nvidia side???
or maybe , I should put... ****... there's really no reason, HL2 and Doom3 are no worries....
do someone solved such problems!??

VW-IceFire
04-27-2005, 08:38 AM
I would goto the community help forum and post your troubles there. Be sure to read the stickied post on howto create a DXDIAG and howto post that in your question so that the experts can go over your system configuration and drivers and figure out what the problems are.

Likely you have a problem with OS or drivers that is causing the problem...that or something is setup improperly for the game itself. But I have much less of a system with much higher FPS...

Keep in mind that Doom 3 and Half Life 2 are not as demanding overall as any modern flight sim. Doom 3 and HL2 are mostly big graphics with some heavy physics thrown in on the side. Flight sims are even more demanding with physics and CPU calculations ontop of some fairly sophisticated graphics. Rule of thumb, if you can get a flight sim to work well, then all other games will run even better.

CAPT_COTTON
04-27-2005, 10:28 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif
Tempest Maniac is right try help forum to find some one with same setup and also go to airwarfare.com and to the TECH section and read all the stuff for your machine http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Bet there is an answer in there http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

JunkoIfurita
04-27-2005, 05:07 PM
Definitely post in community help, but I fear the response will be the same as I'm about to make:

You DO have a kick-*** machine, but to run in 'all perfect' (that is with water=3 on), it's still not a quick enough machine, particularly the graphics card. The ONLY people who've been able to play with perfect (water=3) water are those using TWO 6800ULTRAS in an SLI setup, or those with the 6800 Ultra PCI-express cards. Another Gig of RAM might help.

As IceFire said, Doom3 & HL2 don't do half of what this flight sim engine is required to do (keep track of over 500,000 objects and their status not including the aircraft, for example. That's on the Berlin map).

However, you can run 'all perfect' with water=1 or water=2 with very high frame rates. The only difference is that the waves don't roll high, but rather ripple on the surface. Reflections and rippling are still there, and purty.

I'd also suggest running in only 4x Anti-aliasing and 4x Antistropic Filtering. The difference between that and 8x is minimal, and the frame increase is significant.

----

RogueSpetsnaz
04-27-2005, 09:12 PM
muahahah thats me....! sorry buddy you need sli here are my specs... adn sorry again i couldnt resist lol

Custom AMD Athlon 64 bit 4000+
2 gb DDR400 RAM
500 gb of memory (including external hardrive)
10,000 rpm duoble layer cd+dvd writer
nVidia 6800 Ultra with SLI

stansdds
04-28-2005, 04:05 AM
Yeah, I have an AMD64 3500+, 2 GB RAM, SB Audigy 2ZS sound, and a PCIexpress NV6800 Ultra and with all graphics at max I drop to the single digits on the intense scenes. Perhaps one day there will be hardware that will run this game with full graphics and be affordable to the masses, but that day is still aways off.

newstryka
05-01-2005, 10:31 PM
Stansdds
I understand your frustration, I have been through the same route and researched alot.
I have AMD 3500 64bit. Nvidia6800GT Asus A8N SLI and 1gb RAM, TrackIR 3 Pro.
Thought I had it licked but as the others say, you can't really run the game at full settings on line.
After much fiddling I found the following:

Need average 30fps to play properly, would like more as still stutters a bit but I like the high graphics settings.
I run the Nvidia 'Coolbits' video driver add on. It increases my video card performance from 350mhz to 410mhz. Use GL mode...the web at airwarefare.com gives some excellent tips for this.
I run the game with 2Q Antialiasing, 2 Anistroscopic, trilinear and no vert sync. I run all in game settings on excellent except for clouds. Resolution seems to depend on whats best for your screen, try them all, but I run 1240x960 on a Viewsonic 191b that has a refresh of 8ms.
I dont usually run the perfect water settings as it is the main culprit for slowing frame rate, I run water=2,still looks good in FB as that is the game most play on line and I like the action.
With all this I get around 30fps, sometimes more, sometimes less. Looks great, the only thing I dont like is the jagged edges, but cant seem to get any better if you want the frame rate for combat. I have the ability to put another graphics card in the SLI mode which would be excellent but at the moment its too much and what I have is pretty good.

Another option os to use perfect water=3 and set the anti aliasing at zero, gives good water and frame rate but jagged edges. Anyone else add to this?

All the best.. stryka
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

stansdds
05-02-2005, 04:13 AM
I am also running AA at 2Q and AF at 2x. I think I will try turning off the v-sync and see if that helps me. I can run with water=3 and it looks great, but with the really heavy action it will slow down and sometimes hit single digit frame rates. At this time a 6800 Ultra SLI system is probably the best platform, but very expensive. Odds are that we will see a single PCIe card in the next 12 months or so that will be able to handle this game.

stansdds
05-02-2005, 04:29 AM
I just ran a quick test using the "Kamikaze" track. V-sync seemed to have negligible impact, so I am leaving V-sync on, but AF is now off. AA at 2q looks almost as good as 4x, but with improved frame rates. Basically, I am following the recommendations found over at Airwarfare since they seem to work best. Their recommendations can be found at:
http://www.airwarfare.com/tech/graphicsil2.htm

Dumbo_AK32nd
05-02-2005, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by JunkoIfurita:
The ONLY people who've been able to play with perfect (water=3) water are those using TWO 6800ULTRAS in an SLI setup, or those with the 6800 Ultra PCI-express cards.

I only have a single 6800GT card and I fly in perfect mode (Water = 3) all the time with no problems. The game runs smooth as butter, both off-line and on-line.

Using the "Kamikaze" track as my benchmark, and keying off the average FPS on the final frame, I'm getting 30 FPS with the following settings:

PERFECT terrain graphics
EXCELLENT all other graphics
Water = 3
Forest = 3
3dgunners = 1
AA = 2x
AF = OFF
High Performance imaging
VS = ON
Force Mipmaps = Trilinear
Conformant Texture Clamp = ON
Trilinear Optimization = ON
Anisotropic mip filter optimization = ON
Anisotropic sample optimization = ON

newstryka
05-02-2005, 09:17 PM
Great. Other than the perfect water thats about what I get but slows in action. The only thing you didnt mention was your screen resolution that really affects the game. I run at 1240x1024 cos it looks nice!

stansdds
05-03-2005, 03:57 AM
I am running the 66.93 drivers as recommended by Airwarfare. The drivers that came with my card were 71.something, but it would not let me play DVD's and I read several reviews that indicated this was a known problem as well as these drivers made the card report its temperature much higher than the actual reading.

My card does need some cooling help, the ambient case temp runs around 40C and the card idles around 54C and spikes up to about 70C under heavy load. I just can't help but think this is way hot, especially considering the cpu never gets above 44C under heavy load with a stock heatsink and fan. I have opened the expansion slot cover from the back of the case so the card has a fresh air source and a lower front intake fan has been converted to exhaust so the bottom of the case has a linear air flow and this brought the load temps down to their current level. Before this modification the card would hit 74 and 75C, then the game would lock up or the textures would become corrupted.

Dumbo_AK32nd
05-03-2005, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by newstryka:
The only thing you didnt mention was your screen resolution that really affects the game. I run at 1240x1024 cos it looks nice!

Sorry about that...

I'm running at 1024x768x32.

Dumbo_AK32nd
05-03-2005, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by stansdds:
My card does need some cooling help, the ambient case temp runs around 40C and the card idles around 54C and spikes up to about 70C under heavy load. I just can't help but think this is way hot, especially considering the cpu never gets above 44C under heavy load with a stock heatsink and fan.

I'm no expert, but from other posts I've seen elsewhere, I don't believe 70C is too hot. My rig has good cooling...several fans and plenty of air flow...and I'll spike at 81C after I've been playing for a couple of hours. My temps on start-up are typically in the 60-70C range.

And I have absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Dumbo_AK32nd
05-03-2005, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by newstryka:
Great. Other than the perfect water thats about what I get but slows in action.

Yeah, things can slow down around the fleets if the AAA is thick. But at least I'm not getting a slide show...the plane is still flyable. Just be sure to stay "in cockpit" and stay away from external views.

If you've set-up [DGen] settings in your conf.ini file (you have to do this yourself...they're not in there by default), change the rate of fire on the ships to slow things down. This will definitely help during off-line play.

Another help is to turn your "3dgunners" OFF in the conf.ini file by making their value = 0. (This is another line you have to add yourself...it's not in there by default)

Dumbo_AK32nd
05-04-2005, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Dumbo_AK32nd:
My rig has good cooling...several fans and plenty of air flow...and I'll spike at 81C after I've been playing for a couple of hours. My temps on start-up are typically in the 60-70C range.

Now I'm thinking that these read-outs of mine must be a driver-related bug. Why? Because I just noticed that it's reading 47C as the ambient temperature in my study...

...which translates to 116F.

Hardly! My room temp is more like 68F.

fordfan25
05-04-2005, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by stansdds:
I am running the 66.93 drivers as recommended by Airwarfare. The drivers that came with my card were 71.something, but it would not let me play DVD's and I read several reviews that indicated this was a known problem as well as these drivers made the card report its temperature much higher than the actual reading.

My card does need some cooling help, the ambient case temp runs around 40C and the card idles around 54C and spikes up to about 70C under heavy load. I just can't help but think this is way hot, especially considering the cpu never gets above 44C under heavy load with a stock heatsink and fan. I have opened the expansion slot cover from the back of the case so the card has a fresh air source and a lower front intake fan has been converted to exhaust so the bottom of the case has a linear air flow and this brought the load temps down to their current level. Before this modification the card would hit 74 and 75C, then the game would lock up or the textures would become corrupted.

try this

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835888112

it lowerd my 6800gt temps under load by 15.C