PDA

View Full Version : I hate to complain, but . . torpedos?

XyZspineZyX
06-28-2003, 02:49 AM
does anyone else think that they are ridiculously underpowered? I mean, my grandfather was on a submarine and he has given me many autobiographies by other submariners and one torpedo was usually death for a sub.

And a sub could sink a merchant ship with one topr if it was lucky, and usually never more than 3. Military ships took some more, but not MUCH more . .

So will someone please explain to me why a sub in FB multiplayer took 10 direct torpedo hits and did not sink?

I was flying He-111 with double torps, going after ships, and I nailed this sub on five passes and it remained afloat! I have sunk ships in multiplayer before (cannons on an Il-2) so I know it is possible, but why are torps so weak. The torps could have done more damage had I put a sharp wooden stick on front instead of however many kilograms of explosive!

I love this game, it is great fun, but we are going for realism and realism is one torp per sub, and only a few per other boats.

please, maybe it is too late for upcoming patch, but sometime in the future give us real torpedos. I love torpedoing stuff (which is why I made five passes instead of giving up after the second)

XyZspineZyX
06-28-2003, 02:49 AM
does anyone else think that they are ridiculously underpowered? I mean, my grandfather was on a submarine and he has given me many autobiographies by other submariners and one torpedo was usually death for a sub.

And a sub could sink a merchant ship with one topr if it was lucky, and usually never more than 3. Military ships took some more, but not MUCH more . .

So will someone please explain to me why a sub in FB multiplayer took 10 direct torpedo hits and did not sink?

I was flying He-111 with double torps, going after ships, and I nailed this sub on five passes and it remained afloat! I have sunk ships in multiplayer before (cannons on an Il-2) so I know it is possible, but why are torps so weak. The torps could have done more damage had I put a sharp wooden stick on front instead of however many kilograms of explosive!

I love this game, it is great fun, but we are going for realism and realism is one torp per sub, and only a few per other boats.

please, maybe it is too late for upcoming patch, but sometime in the future give us real torpedos. I love torpedoing stuff (which is why I made five passes instead of giving up after the second)

XyZspineZyX
06-28-2003, 02:58 AM
Someone correct me if I am wrong. But I think aireal torps are lighter and do less damage then sub based ones.

Gib

Aflak wrote:
- does anyone else think that they are ridiculously
- underpowered? I mean, my grandfather was on a
- submarine and he has given me many autobiographies
- by other submariners and one torpedo was usually
- death for a sub.

"You dont win a war by dieing for your country. You win a war by making the other fool die for his country."

<center>
http://gibbageart.havagame.com/images/sig01.jpg (http://gibbageart.havagame.com)
</center>

XyZspineZyX
06-28-2003, 03:05 AM
your catalina could prove fatal to any sub with light bombs (german sub commander nightmare: catalina with radar that could see periscopes - - - well, there was radar that could see periscopes (not sure it mounted on cats . . but the info was radiod to the cats, so same deal))

still, they are probably lighter than ship based (maybe, but three or four enlisted men could managae a torpedo, so it is conceivable that a plane could also)

and further on that thought, the He-111 in its bomber variant could hold 30 small/mid sized bombs . . .

when you replace all of that payload (plus bay mechanisms: torps just strapped to the underside) you can have wuite alot of punch for a torp.

I will agree that an air-delivered torp shouldn't sink your average freighter or battleship, but subs are much smaller and much more fragile.

anyway, just my pet peeve about this game. I love every thing else, but to be an effective torp bomber you gotta turn limited ammo off.

XyZspineZyX
06-28-2003, 03:06 AM
there is a bug online wrt ships and damage.

XyZspineZyX
06-28-2003, 03:09 AM
You aren't wrong Gibbage, I think only a handfull of aircraft could carry a full scale torpedo.

My question to the original poster is: Did you die before your torpedos struck? Cause if your plane was shot down before they hit they don't count, never have not even in Il2 which is just stupid if you ask me.

As for a submarine, a single torpedo of any scale would certainly sink a ww2 sub if it breached the pressure hull. Submarines unlike surface vessels have barely enough positive buoyance to remain on the surface. And if flooding occurs especially if its a breach to the ballast tanks a submarine is in serious trouble.

http://www.redspar.com/redrogue/CraggerUbisig.jpg

About after 30 minutes I puked all over my airplane. I said to myself "Man, you made a big mistake." -Charles 'Chuck' Yeager, regards his first flight

XyZspineZyX
06-28-2003, 03:11 AM
Btw a US submarine captained by a famous WW2 submariner sunk itself with a single torp. The gyro failed and the torpedo went into what is referred as a "death circle" and circled back and struck the sub before she could make to avoid it.

http://www.redspar.com/redrogue/CraggerUbisig.jpg

About after 30 minutes I puked all over my airplane. I said to myself "Man, you made a big mistake." -Charles 'Chuck' Yeager, regards his first flight

XyZspineZyX
06-28-2003, 03:24 AM
There is a bug in FB multiplayer that prevents clients from damaging ships. A torp will trash a sub (and pretty much anything else) in single player.

XyZspineZyX
06-28-2003, 05:14 AM
Panzzzz wrote:
- There is a bug in FB multiplayer that prevents
- clients from damaging ships. A torp will trash a
- sub (and pretty much anything else) in single
- player.
-

NO .. the larger ships damage model is divided into segments and on a big ship you need several hits on the same segment to sink it, that why its important to keep hitting the same point on the target.

on the plus side for the attacker, torpedoes can be dropped from any height at any angle and any speed and still work, you can virtually divebomb with them in FB.

XyZspineZyX
06-28-2003, 06:23 AM
The same ships that are killed with single torpedo hits in single player will withstand anything you can throw at them in a multiplayer server. I'm not talking about the big stuff, I'm talking about patrol boats and the like. You can hammer away at a ship online all day, and they won't sink.

XyZspineZyX
06-28-2003, 05:12 PM
Unless you're the host, right? The bug only affects people who joined the server.

<center>http://mysite.freeserve.com/flying_moose/images/2-picture3.jpg?0.488377430005666 </center>

XyZspineZyX
06-28-2003, 07:07 PM
Right. Hosts have no problems, it's only clients that can't damage them.

XyZspineZyX
06-29-2003, 06:18 AM
Cragger wrote:
- Btw a US submarine captained by a famous WW2
- submariner sunk itself with a single torp. The gyro
- failed and the torpedo went into what is referred as
- a "death circle" and circled back and struck the sub
- before she could make to avoid it.
-

Are you talking about the Scorpion that was sunk by its own torpedo during the 1950's?

XyZspineZyX
06-29-2003, 11:49 AM
It makes me think of one the Germans first tried guided torpedos. They where supposed to track the targets vessel sounds that came from the screws and engine of the ship but, the system worked so good that it tracked the silent engines of the U-boat instead...

They build in a delay so that the homing part of the torpedo armed after some time and not right after launch.

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye
shall be judged: and with what
measure ye mete, it shall be
measured to you again.

http://members.chello.se/ven/ham-pin.gif

XyZspineZyX
06-29-2003, 11:59 AM
YEah, or maybe the sub was placed in really shallow water so it COULDN'T sink! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

All I know is that I can't hit Jack with torpedoes, mainly because I get my wings shot off by ship AAA before I can drop the torpedoes...

XyZspineZyX
06-29-2003, 12:29 PM
German aerial torpedoes had to be dropped inside of 1000m range.(RL)

One is swimming with fishies if one tries that in FB with the sniper AA.

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/air_power/ap18a.jpg