PDA

View Full Version : Slow animations..?

RushJet1
10-28-2004, 10:07 AM
This game runs decently fast on my machine... until I see some animations. It doesn't crawl or anything, but I'd think my machine would be able to play this game at quite a good framerate- I wonder why it's doing this?

Radeon 9600 Pro (128mb), Athlon XP 2400+, 512 mb DDR RAM, Soundblaster Live! soundcard.

maztec
10-28-2004, 12:24 PM
Upgrade your version of Quicktime?

Try making sure you have nothing running in the background?

Defragment your hard drive?

Do a full install -- so it's not reading the movies from your DVD drive?

Get a faster DVD drive if you can't do a full install...

I believe that's the immediate choices available.

Maz

RushJet1
10-28-2004, 05:05 PM
OK, I'll upgrade Quick Time, and defrag my harddisk since I did a full install. Even in the main menu screen I can see that it's streaming the music from the harddisk by its activity (not constant but it IS in a pattern... it might be having trouble locating files within the 1gb music file).

maztec
10-28-2004, 10:27 PM
Maybe upgrade your sound cards drivers also..

wall87
11-06-2004, 10:59 PM
Ok, my PC is the same way. When ever I see animations the framerate really drops. I even tried it in different resolutions and there is no difference. Now if I turn off the extra effects it's ok, but then the game dosn't look nearly as alive.

I really thought my PC could handle this game with no problem. I even played Doom III running on high quality!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Is there something I can do to make it work better?

Specs:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz
769MB of Ram
40GB Hard Drive
Nvidia Geforce 6800GT (256mb)

I also upgraded all my drivers and have hardly any background programs running.

maztec
11-07-2004, 01:36 AM
Hmm, driver version?

You using the beta nVidia drivers? Try them?

wall87
11-07-2004, 01:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maztec:
Hmm, driver version?

You using the beta nVidia drivers? Try them? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The driver I'm currently using now is 70.41. I've tried tons of different versions, beta and nonbeta and the results are all the same so I don't think it's the driver.

I would just think my computer could handle this game with no problem. I defraged the hard drive also. The game is playable but the framerate drops to the 30s whenever an animation is shown and sometimes even the 20s.

maztec
11-07-2004, 02:21 PM
Complete install?

And it's not exactly a game where framerate matters... 30 frames per second is more than the human eye can see *smirk*

wall87
11-07-2004, 02:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maztec:
Complete install?

And it's not exactly a game where framerate matters... 30 frames per second is more than the human eye can see *smirk* <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, full install, I even tried a minimum install. No change.

When ever I move it's very jerky and far from being fluid, I'm just estimating the fps. And I thought 60fps was more then the eye can see because I can notice 30 is less then 60.

wall87
11-13-2004, 04:23 PM
So does anyone have any solutions?

maztec
11-14-2004, 02:39 AM
I'm not sure the number off the top of my head, but it's something like 14.2 frames per second is the maximum the human eye can see. But unless it's over 29.4 frames per second it's possible for you to get caught between frames and thus see them. That is why the higher the fps the "smoother" it looks.

Anyway, this is a very interesting problem. Could you post your dxDiag please? And.. have you tried defragging your hard drive? Also make sure you disable whatever is sitting around in the background?

wall87
11-14-2004, 09:40 AM
DxDiag (http://home.comcast.net/~wall28/DxDiag.txt)

I defraged my hard drive many times and before I start the game I close down all my background programs as well.

OneofDex
11-16-2004, 02:18 AM
Hi wall87, what type/model is your harddrive ?

maztec
11-16-2004, 04:16 AM
------------------------
Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
------------------------
Drive: C:
Free Space: 10.0 GB
Total Space: 38.1 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: MAXTOR 6L040J2

It's in his DxDiag :P That's a 7200 RPM ATA133 drive.

wall87, I'm not ignoring you. Trying to get a response from Ubi as to your problem. Heh, lets put it this way, I wasn't satisfied with their response to me, "All movies in the game are at 30fps." Well, duh. . Anyway. I suppose the question is what do you mean by jerky? You mean it stutters a LOT with over 1/10th second pauses.. Or it just looks a touch stuttery to your 60FPS trained eye?

wall87
11-16-2004, 02:19 PM
------------------------
Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
------------------------
Drive: C:
Free Space: 10.0 GB
Total Space: 38.1 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: MAXTOR 6L040J2

It's in his DxDiag :P That's a 7200 RPM ATA133 drive.

wall87, I'm not ignoring you. Trying to get a response from Ubi as to your problem. Heh, lets put it this way, I wasn't satisfied with their response to me, "All movies in the game are at 30fps." Well, duh. . Anyway. I suppose the question is what do you mean by jerky? You mean it stutters a LOT with over 1/10th second pauses.. Or it just looks a touch stuttery to your 60FPS trained eye? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well it depends where I'm at in the game, different scenes give different results. Some scenes it will run really smooth (usually not too much animation going on) and some scenes it does stutter a lot. The thing is, DOOM III runs a lot smoother on my computer then this game does. And I know my system is powerful enough to make this game run smoothly but for some reason it dosn't. I also noticed some crackling in the sound in a few scenes in the game. My sound driver is up to date as well.

Thanks for helping me work out this problem.

maztec
11-16-2004, 07:01 PM
On the off.. You try the v1.02 patch yet?

wall87
11-16-2004, 08:19 PM
On the off.. You try the v1.02 patch yet? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, no change.

maztec
11-16-2004, 09:12 PM
*grumble* thinking

OneofDex
11-16-2004, 09:52 PM
The game stresses SATA drives.

maztec
11-16-2004, 11:20 PM
heh, I have it running on a system with an ATA133 drive with no problem.

So *shrug*

OneofDex
11-17-2004, 06:54 AM
Which forum are your hardware specs posted I'll take a look.

maztec
11-17-2004, 01:18 PM
Wall:

My apologies for OneofDex - he's taken to mocking me as of late.

In other answers. Try turning down the number of sounds that the game attempts to play. The sound quality level/etc. Your sound card is a SoundMAX card which fits in that so/so category at times. Some games handle it better than others. Just happens that M4 assumes that you know what's best and lets you pump things up to max - which doesn't always work that well.

Anyway, I'll bet if you turn it down a level or two, your stuttering should go away - since it probably occurs during scenes that are playing a lot of audio. Same goes for people with lagging audio, turn down the sound quality and/or # of sounds and it should improve the behaviors.

Maz

wall87
11-17-2004, 03:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OneofDex:
The game stresses SATA drives. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What exactly is a SATA driver? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

wall87
11-17-2004, 03:54 PM
Wall:

My apologies for OneofDex - he's taken to mocking me as of late.

In other answers. Try turning down the number of sounds that the game attempts to play. The sound quality level/etc. Your sound card is a SoundMAX card which fits in that so/so category at times. Some games handle it better than others. Just happens that M4 assumes that you know what's best and lets you pump things up to max - which doesn't always work that well.

Anyway, I'll bet if you turn it down a level or two, your stuttering should go away - since it probably occurs during scenes that are playing a lot of audio. Same goes for people with lagging audio, turn down the sound quality and/or # of sounds and it should improve the behaviors.

Maz <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

How do you turn down the sound quality? The only thing I found was frequency which didn't do anything.

maztec
11-17-2004, 06:33 PM
SATA is a hardware ocmmunication method that basically operates under the philosophy of "the less complex the communication, the faster it can be!" Instead of having several pipes for communication (which technically should be faster) it uses less and sends the data one chunk at a time -- which ends up being faster, oh and is a smaller cable :P That las tbit is my fave.

Now lets try this all at once:
1) Look at the drivers for your sound card, see if there is any way to accelerate it or tune it .. or something :P

2) Go into M4 set game resolution to 640x480; Music Frequency to the bottom (which as far as I can tell all it does is affect how often the game plays music...); Turn off the special immersive affects; Turn off the water effects...; And turn off the depth of field effect.

Now, another thing to pay attention to.. Is it consistent with which videos stutter? If so.. are they videos where you're still in the game-world and it's overlaying Yeesha or whatever? Is it animations like the rail-ride where you can still turn your head? Or is it animations like the spider chair where it actually overlays things with a QT video?

I'd try upgrading QuickTime, see if that helps any.. And if we can nail down which type of animation -- lets see if it's consistent to a specific type? -- we might be able to figure out what's going on....

Maz

OneofDex
11-17-2004, 08:09 PM
Dear Maztec, I was hoping that you would show me a hardware spec of a working configuration. Where have I mocked you ???????????

maztec
11-17-2004, 09:35 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=580100736&m=8261092132

I've already posted that info a few times, but that link should take you there.

OneofDex, now I'm going to ask you one last time, nicely. What is your computer specifications. Full dxDiag please. You've refused repeatedly to give me that information. You have never stated what your problems with the game are and you have yet to provide this. All you do is spout excuses that you don't want to provide that information because it won't let me help you.

Fine then, so either get the blot out of the technical forum -- I really don't care if you're a paying customer or not, I'm not an employee, it does not give me anything other than some amount of personal satisfaction by doing this -- or share that information.

OneofDex, if you don't do that, I will start deleting your posts that I feel to be out of line, mocking, or flat out trollish. Yes, you have pushed my patience to its limit.

You're welcome.

Maztec.

maztec
11-18-2004, 01:42 AM
OneofDex, all future posts from you need to be placed here:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=580100736&m=6271047242

Maztec.

wall87
11-18-2004, 03:06 PM
SATA is a hardware ocmmunication method that basically operates under the philosophy of "the less complex the communication, the faster it can be!" Instead of having several pipes for communication (which technically should be faster) it uses less and sends the data one chunk at a time -- which ends up being faster, oh and is a smaller cable :P That las tbit is my fave.

Now lets try this all at once:
1) Look at the drivers for your sound card, see if there is any way to accelerate it or tune it .. or something :P

2) Go into M4 set game resolution to 640x480; Music Frequency to the bottom (which as far as I can tell all it does is affect how often the game plays music...); Turn off the special immersive affects; Turn off the water effects...; And turn off the depth of field effect.

Now, another thing to pay attention to.. Is it consistent with which videos stutter? If so.. are they videos where you're still in the game-world and it's overlaying Yeesha or whatever? Is it animations like the rail-ride where you can still turn your head? Or is it animations like the spider chair where it actually overlays things with a QT video?

I'd try upgrading QuickTime, see if that helps any.. And if we can nail down which type of animation -- lets see if it's consistent to a specific type? -- we might be able to figure out what's going on....

Maz <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, I found no way to accelerate the sound card driver. I did find an updated driver but still like 2 years old.

I tried that, no change. The only time I really noticed the crackling is in certain areas in the Spire age. I haven't been to the Haven age or many other ages yet so I can't really tell you if it does it anywhere else on the game.

Well the crackling is actually more like consitant pops, but it's not related with the video stutters.

I did try upgrading it and still no change. Another thing I noticed is when starting up the game, the beginning vidoes sometimes stutter, but not too much. I wonder if it has something to do with my graphics card?

Alahmnat
11-18-2004, 03:36 PM
A rather old-time suggestion dating back to the days of Journeyman Project 3... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

As far as your sound crackle, a suggestion from the JP3 troubleshooting guide said that f you were encountering crackling audio, you could try to lower the amount of hardware acceleration in your sound card's properties. Under WinXP, this can be found under Countrol Panel -> Sound, Speech, and Audio Devices -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> Audio tab. Click on the "Advanced" button under the playback section and drop the hardware acceleration down a few notches, then try playing the game again.

Like I said, this is an older suggestion, so I have no idea if it'll work, but you can give it a try http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

maztec
11-18-2004, 04:28 PM
Knew there was something I was missing -- Thanks Alah http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

wall87
11-24-2004, 01:49 PM
So any more ideas anyone? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

wall87
12-07-2004, 08:51 PM
Anyone? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

maztec
12-07-2004, 11:01 PM
Nothing new. Only thing I can think to request is did you post your dxdiag information?