PDA

View Full Version : Periodic freezes in Tree age

IDawgIK
12-01-2003, 11:25 AM
Hi, I just recently got Uru and am playing through the single player game. Everything works fine, except in the tree age (I forgot the name of it), my RAM usage on Uru jumps to 344MB+ and the games freezes every couple of seconds. I can link back to another age and they all work fine, it's just this one.

Specs:
AMD Athlon 1.4GHz, 768MB PC-2100 RAM, GeForce 4 Ti-4600, Sound Blaster Audigy 2, 60GB Hard Drive.

Any help on this matter is appreciated b/c I cannot play that age at all, it starts immediately when I get into it. I've tried lowering my settings to no avail.

Thanks
Ian

IDawgIK
12-01-2003, 11:25 AM
Hi, I just recently got Uru and am playing through the single player game. Everything works fine, except in the tree age (I forgot the name of it), my RAM usage on Uru jumps to 344MB+ and the games freezes every couple of seconds. I can link back to another age and they all work fine, it's just this one.

Specs:
AMD Athlon 1.4GHz, 768MB PC-2100 RAM, GeForce 4 Ti-4600, Sound Blaster Audigy 2, 60GB Hard Drive.

Any help on this matter is appreciated b/c I cannot play that age at all, it starts immediately when I get into it. I've tried lowering my settings to no avail.

Thanks
Ian

Fyrehawk
12-01-2003, 07:40 PM
The tree age is Kadish Tolesa.

Are you running the latest drivers for your Sound card and graphics card? Just for a test, try disabling the sound and running through the level.

"There is a thin line between insanity and genius. I have erased this line".
--Oscar Levant

IDawgIK
12-01-2003, 10:38 PM
I just updated my sound drivers, I'm also running the latest non-beta drivers from nvidia, 52.16.

I tried running it with no sound, no change. I tried copying my saves out and reinstalling the game, thinking something might have gotten corrupt, no change. I deleted the book and reentered the age from the initial linking book, no change.

What's really odd is that its ONLY this age so far. Teledahn and Garheeson work fine. I haven't touched the fourth age yet.

It's just periodical locks ups, every couple seconds where the whole game freezes and then comes back. I'm not sure what could be causing it...

Gonna try default settings now, see if that fixes it.

Ian

IDawgIK
12-01-2003, 11:15 PM
ok, just tried the default settings that uru puts for video and sound, still does not fix my problem. I'm running out of ideas of things to do to make this work. I've even tested some more ages, and all work fine, it's just Kadish Tolesa that's having this problem. It's basically rendered that Age unplayable.

Any ideas and suggestions, please let me know, I'll try anything at this point.

Ian

maztec
12-02-2003, 04:38 PM
odd.. turn down the number of simutaneous sounds when entering kadish and seei f that helps.

Fyrehawk
12-02-2003, 06:01 PM
Question: When you ran the game without sound did you actually disable the sound within the game, or just turn off your system sound? If you just turned off your system sound, the game is still attempting to process sounds.

"There is a thin line between insanity and genius. I have erased this line".
--Oscar Levant

IDawgIK
12-02-2003, 08:09 PM
I'd gone and unchecked 'Enable Sound' in the audio tab of Uru. So it wasn't trying to process any sounds. I'll try dropping the number of sounds down to the minimum and then enter that age, see if that fixes it.

I dunno, I'm finding this very wierd.

Interestingly enough, this age worked just fine in the pre-retail beta, it's just now with Uru retail and Uru: Live that it won't work...

Ian

maztec
12-02-2003, 08:50 PM
That's very odd Ian.

Have you changed anything on your system since going from beta to prime/live?

IDawgIK
12-03-2003, 12:11 AM
Well, I managed to get it working. Interestingly enough, it was because had too new of video drivers if you can imagine that. I was using the Nvidia 52.16 and it was causing all kinds of problems with that, once I switched back to 42.23 it worked better. But I was still getting interesting pauses when I was using any kind of Anti-Aliasing in uru. I then decided to try having the AA off in uru and turn it on for my video card directly. I set it for 4xS (Direct 3D only) and it now runs beautifully.

Thank's for all of your help everyone :-)

Ian

frenyo
12-03-2003, 02:23 AM
If you are using 1024x768 resolution or better, you may want to turn AA off, the difference can be seen only under magnifying glass, especially if moving all the time. I used to put the graphical settings to max. only when making screenshots for desktop images etc.

-----------------
Frenyo/Norfren in game
Beta tester
Guild of Greeters

IDawgIK
12-03-2003, 07:41 PM
well, I'm running it on an lcd monitor, not a crt, so it looks a lil odd without AA, especially in Relto, wiht all the plants. It's running ok now though, so I dunno what happened with it.

What was odd was it was only that age. Ohh well, I'm happy, I'm up to the 4th puzzle in Kadish now :-)

maztec
12-03-2003, 07:45 PM
frenyo, on my LCD AA makes a huge difference at 1600x1200...