PDA

View Full Version : Sound Blaster Problems

GSHastings
08-07-2005, 09:15 PM
I have a new Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value which is causing problems in Pacific Fighters.
If I don't switch on "Enable Extension" in Audio/Sound Setup, the sounds are very poor, and intermittent.
If I do "Enable Extensions" then the game sounds are terrific. Buy my own comm transmissions sound have an extreme echo effect making the headphone sidetone sound like I have my head in a barrel.
I have all the EAX features disabled on the Sound Blaster software, but still this extreme echo effect gets applied.
Anyone else have similar problem and determine how to fix it?

Thanks

VW-IceFire
08-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by GSHastings:
I have a new Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value which is causing problems in Pacific Fighters.
If I don't switch on "Enable Extension" in Audio/Sound Setup, the sounds are very poor, and intermittent.
If I do "Enable Extensions" then the game sounds are terrific. Buy my own comm transmissions sound have an extreme echo effect making the headphone sidetone sound like I have my head in a barrel.
I have all the EAX features disabled on the Sound Blaster software, but still this extreme echo effect gets applied.
Anyone else have similar problem and determine how to fix it?

Thanks
I had a similar problem with the old Audigy 1 OEM. Without extensions enabled, it sounded like ****. And with extensions enabled it sounded great outside but inside the cockpit...I got this nasty EAX "enhanced" echo that sounded like the cockpit of my fighter was infact a large tin can.

I fought for ages...ultimately succuming to the use of my onboard Soundstorm audio system which is fortunately the best onboard audio system ever invented (I don't think its been surpassed). Its about on par with the Audigy 1 but I'm told not as good as the Audigy 2.

Keep fighting...there is a way to beat this problem. I'm sure there is.

PrimaryMan
08-08-2005, 01:06 AM
I just got an Augidy2 this weekend and had similar problems with really bad quality sound. Whenever I clicked on a button in the GUI I got three repeated clicks not one and when in the cockpit the voice comms were echoed and there was constant static. No combination of settings improved anything.

But it all works sweet now. This is what I did, perhaps this could work for you:

Run "DXDIAG".
When this opened I found I had two sound setting pages "Sound 1" and "Sound 2".
Sound 1 was under the name = SB Audigy 2 Audio [D000] so I made sure the hardware acceleration slider was set to the full right.
Sound 2 was under the name = Modem #0 Line Playback (emulated). This had the slider on none (to the left) so I moved this to full right also.
Clicked on "Exit", started the game and everything was fine.

The best sound I get is with the extension switch set facing up (not sure if thats on or off). In this configuration the sounds are deeper and louder with more authority than with the switch facing down.

Also under the "Creative EAX Consule" dialog box make sure the "Enable Audio effects" box is NOT ticked, you might be applying a preset effect.

GSHastings
08-09-2005, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the reply.
In my case, both the SBAudigy 1 and 2 had hardware acceleration full right.
I took the 2 and turned it off.
That fixed the comms echo problem, but I then got the three clicks, and the constant static.
I do start with the "Enable Audio Effects" set to off. It's interesting though. If I open the "Creative EAX Console" while Pacific Fighters is loaded, that applet is not functional. The "Enavle Audio Effects" is still not checked (off), and I can set it on, but the list box of the various effects does not populate. There is definitely some kind of software collision happening between Pacific Fighters and the EAX software/hardware.

Thanks again.

GSHastings
08-09-2005, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
I fought for ages...ultimately succuming to the use of my onboard Soundstorm audio system which is fortunately the best onboard audio system ever invented (I don't think its been surpassed). Its about on par with the Audigy 1 but I'm told not as good as the Audigy 2.

Thanks for the reply.
I too have an onboard sound, by Analog devices (Intel motherboard), and it works great for everything except Falcon 4.0. There is a new re-release of that sim, and I flew it a lot a few years ago. The onboard sound doesn't work at all with that program (not in the original and patched releases of F4.0 either).
In fact, Falcon 4.0 actually killed the sound on my computer completely until I rebooted. Even if I exited Falcon, the sound would still be dead.
So I bought the Sound Blaster to fix the Falcon 4.0 problem. Which it does perfectly. Only to find that it was hosed on my other favorite sim, Pacific Fighters.
Sometimes you just can't win. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Christos_swc
08-10-2005, 06:31 AM
I don't know if this helps but you can try running creative playcenter and making sure the EAX is set to off.