PDA

View Full Version : Q&A (Updated 10/3)

kleaneasy
02-03-2011, 05:27 AM
The Dev team are trying to answer all of your frequently answered questions. To kick things off here are a couple they’ve answered for you this week…

Community Answers – Part 2

Q. What options are available to skinners? For example, will they have any control over weathering layers and panel lines or is that hardcoded?

A. The panel lines and weathering are not available for editing. You can only do the overall paintjob. We felt that this was the most balanced decision, considering the fact that most paintschemes on online servers in our previous titles were horrible quick hack-jobs that made aircraft look atrocious. By expertly applying professional overlays on top of your custom skin we ensure that every single skin looks good.
We even feel that this is historically accurate. As a real person approaching a real aircraft with a bucket of paint, you can paint over the existing structure any way you like, but you can’t re-rivet the skin or rearrange the panels.

Q. How many campaigns are there? One Spitfire, one Hurricane, one 109, one 110?

A. One British campaign, in which you fly the Hurricane and the Spitfire, and one German campaign in which you fly the 109, the 110 and the Stuka.

Q. How big are the bomber formations in most missions? Is the 'bomber unit' size scalable in campaigns?

A. We balanced our campaign missions for minimum spec machines, so bomber formations are pretty small. The largest mission is about 50 planes total, 21 of them bombers and the rest fighters.
If you have a more powerful machine, larger battles are of course possible.

Q. Are the airfields and surroundings 'alive' in campaigns - you know, vehicles moving around, crew figures, a NAAFI truck?

A. All life has to be hand-built by the mission designer. All our stock missions come with very busy airfields.

Q. Are there any animated characters in briefings, on the field before or after flights?

A. No

Q. Do kill markings get recorded on your aircraft skin? (Probably not, but it's nice to day dream.)

A. There are actually kill markings. They are applied as a separate decal onto some, but not all, fighters. You just enter a “kills” number into your plane options, and voila, it’s there.

Community Answers – Part 1

Will the game feature a dynamical campaign?
No, at least not in the initial release of the game. The campaigns are all scripted and focus on specific events.

Will the game include dedicated server software?
Yes, a dedicated server software will be part of the initial release.

Previously answered questions...

What version of the game is available in my country?

The Collector’s Edition is available in the UK (exclusively via the Ubishop) and throughout Europe.

In the UK the CE is the only boxed version available to buy.

Digital download version of the game is available in the US.

*we will update this question with more details on availability in each region as we receive it.
IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover System Requirements (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8071032709/m/6811032709)

What DRM will the game use?
IL2 Sturmovik: Cliff of Dover will use the SolidShield DRM solution. SolidShield features a flexible activation process and allows for up to 3 simultaneous game installs......more information (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8071032709/m/6051033319)

amarok1
02-03-2011, 11:14 AM
Will be 6DOFs supported?

Are the printed books in the Collector's Edition only in English or also in German or other languages?

Fox_4
02-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by amarok1:
Will be 6DOFs supported?

I thought it was already known, or considered highly likely at the very least, that 6DoF will be supported. At least it's been one of the basic features I've (for some reason) thought the sim was going to have. Maybe an old developer update said something about it?

I'd like, more specifically, to know whether ********* will be supported. (Or am I not allowed to mention its name on this forum? I haven't been on this forum much, apart from very recently, for over a year so sorry if I'm out of the loop on that rule. Delete this chunk of my post if inappropriate but I consider it a reasonable question)

Edit: No, that is still not allowed here unfortunately.

VW-IceFire
02-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by amarok1:
Will be 6DOFs supported?

Are the printed books in the Collector's Edition only in English or also in German or other languages?
Not sure if it's been acknowledged but Oleg has said from the start that the game would have 6DOF support and that the cockpits were designed from the beginning to support it.

So no gaping holes in the sides and so forth like would be the case in IL-2.

avimimus
02-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Does this mean we can change our hardware five times before buying a new copy, and reinstall the application once per month?

Or does it mean that we can change our hardware and reinstall after waiting a month (regardless of activations)?

Bearcat99
02-03-2011, 08:08 PM
From what Ms K said.. I think that is a 5 activations.. for hardware or whatever.. and once a month CoD will revalidate itself somewhere... Is that close? Either way I wouldn't worry about it until I see it in action. IMO the best way around the hardware thing.. is to just back it up to another drive on your system.

Avat
02-04-2011, 03:37 AM
I can't believe you agree for this kind of **** DRM.

<span class="ev_code_RED">EDIT - posting about or in support of piracy and game cracks is not permitted</span>

Bearcat99
02-04-2011, 06:31 AM
I'd rather have this kind of DRM and see 1C make some kind of profit so they can keep on doing this as opposed to having a couple hundred thieves steal the sim before it is even released setting the whole process back .... as happened in FB, The AEP, PF & 46..

BadA1m
02-04-2011, 07:29 AM
Unfortunately, we are the victims of thieves every day. We pay for what they steal with every purchase we make, we're watched by video cameras every time we walk into a store, our taxes would be much lower if Police were unnecessary, etc,etc,etc.

This is only one more way that we pay for the activity of thieves. I hate being treated like a thief as much as the next guy (as a matter of fact, I've been in the security industry most of my adult life), but some kind of DRM is simply a fact of life with these things. I'll throw a fit if I can't install my game for some reason, but I'll still buy it.

mooby11
02-04-2011, 10:49 AM
check the video clearly shows 6dof

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=18564

dangerdoggie
02-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Still no news on the availability of the Collectors Edition for North American customers?

I see the regular version is up on Amazon.com but not the CE version.

RickRuski
02-06-2011, 12:31 AM
"5 activations and a new instal every month"??

This sounds like every month you will have to go online to reactivate your game and get a new activation code. If not, why else would you have 5 activations and a new instal every month. What happens if you don't play online, does the game deactivate automatically?? requiring an online reactivation again.

blairgowrie
02-06-2011, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by RickRuski:
"5 activations and a new instal every month"??

This sounds like every month you will have to go online to reactivate your game and get a new activation code. If not, why else would you have 5 activations and a new instal every month. What happens if you don't play online, does the game deactivate automatically?? requiring an online reactivation again.

The way I read it Rick, you are only required to activate once. But if you have to reinstall you would have five activations you could use.

Urufu_Shinjiro
02-06-2011, 09:24 AM
The way i read it is you have 5 activations available, if you use one or two by having to reinstall a few times trying to fix an issue you will get one of those back a month until you have five again. If you use all five in a month you'll have to wait till you get one back. This way under most circumstances the paying customer will have no problems, but pirates trying to activate the same copy a couple hundred times a day will have issues. At least until its cracked, but at least this system is relatively consumer friendly.

weah1967
02-07-2011, 09:48 AM
Hi,
I'm trying to find out how many versions of IL2CoD will be released in Europe. Is there a international version with multilanguage install option?
I am a bit concerned, because I'm stationed temporarily in Germany, I don't speak German, and I want to play the game in English, as it was meant to be.
Thanks

DD_crash
02-08-2011, 05:18 AM
I think that Ubi should be able to sell the Collectors Edition and DVDs world wide. The supply issue is causing a lot of bad feeling.

Rjel
02-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Is the ingame recording system (I assume there is one) similar to the .ntrks or .trks we have in IL2? What we are used to IL2 is the best of any sim I've played. If it is more featured ladened and versatile so much the better.

jensenpark
02-26-2011, 01:16 PM
Ubi never misses and opportunity to miss an opportunity.

emtguf
02-28-2011, 06:56 AM
The thing I do not like about this DRM method is simple. It does not work. Within 24 hours of release this game will be cracked. The paying customers will be hinged by the online activation, and install totals while the pirate run free.
This happened with Silent Hunter 5. Less than 24 hours after release the game was pirated. Pirates were able to play the game but the buying public wasn't for the most part due to the Authentication servers crashing nearly constantly.

DRM does nothing to hinder piracy all it does is hinder the people who pay for the software. This has been proven time and time again. The only game I know that has not ever been cracked is Steel Beasts Pro. More companies need to get with them and find out how to do it without this crappy Ubi DRM model that doesn't work in the first place.

Can't wait for this to release but I can wait for the DRM...

K_Freddie
03-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by emtguf:
Can't wait for this to release but I can wait for the DRM...
Ditto!!
With Ms K latest Q&A about the DRM, I cannot help feel that she's 'just the messenger'.
Like SH5 which I had an 11ft barge pole for... I'll await the outcome of SolidShields effort http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Capt.Ron47
03-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Hello All: So..is Stream the server for the online play as Hyper Lobby is in IL2..?? And is there a added fee for online play as in WOW..?? And what about networking COD on 2 pcs at home ...how will that work..??

DD_crash
03-10-2011, 10:07 AM
All should be reveled in 2 weeks time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

JG52Uther
03-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by DD_crash:
All should be reveled in 2 weeks time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Yes,buy the game THEN find out...http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

klemlao
03-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Will my pre-ordered hard copy CoD arrive on or before the day of release (25 March) or will it be posted on that day?

As I have already paid for it I expect to have it in my hands on the release date.

As activation is Steam controlled you can prevent me activating it until the release date.

Frequent_Flyer
03-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Hello,

Will COD be availible via harcopy disks anywhere, other than the CE?

DD_crash
03-14-2011, 04:30 AM
Cliffs should be available on DVD BUT not world wide http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif To be honest I dont think that Ubi have a clue even though we are less than 2 weeks away from launch. Doesnt inspire any confidence does it?

klemlao
03-15-2011, 02:42 AM
Can the dedicated server be loaded onto a separate PC or am I supposed to buy a second copy for that (as if I would!).