PDA

View Full Version : Are the Me 109 slats properly modelled?

XyZspineZyX
09-05-2003, 10:03 PM
On the 109, the slats gradually move out as you increase AOA and you can watch this from the cockpit or exterior views.

But is this realistic? I read accounts both from allied and GAF sources that the slats came out with a "bang" (Eric Browns tests on captured 109G6 and 109E battle accounts from Erwin Leykauf). According to Brown passing through propwash and other turbulence caused the slats to open unevenly positively ruining any attempt to get a proper bead on any "indianer".

Other sources claim that this was due to bad servicing of the slats and that properly maintained slats opened gradually and evenly as they do on FB.

Don't get me wrong: since I like the "beule" I am not asking for any update to introduce any slat snatching (My FB ground crew keep my "beule" in top notch condition!)

Seriously: Does anyone have any good source material on this? was it out with a "bang" or "smooth a silk"?

XyZspineZyX
09-05-2003, 10:03 PM
On the 109, the slats gradually move out as you increase AOA and you can watch this from the cockpit or exterior views.

But is this realistic? I read accounts both from allied and GAF sources that the slats came out with a "bang" (Eric Browns tests on captured 109G6 and 109E battle accounts from Erwin Leykauf). According to Brown passing through propwash and other turbulence caused the slats to open unevenly positively ruining any attempt to get a proper bead on any "indianer".

Other sources claim that this was due to bad servicing of the slats and that properly maintained slats opened gradually and evenly as they do on FB.

Don't get me wrong: since I like the "beule" I am not asking for any update to introduce any slat snatching (My FB ground crew keep my "beule" in top notch condition!)

Seriously: Does anyone have any good source material on this? was it out with a "bang" or "smooth a silk"?

XyZspineZyX
09-05-2003, 10:15 PM
Try here for info on slats, I haven't read this for a while and have forgotten most of it so I don't know if this has the answer you are looking for.

http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/index1024.htm

go to: Technical Reference/structures/wings/slats

via the navigation on the left

I do know that a pilot could feel the slats extend through his controls and I would like to see this modeled for my Force Feedback stick.

XyZspineZyX
09-05-2003, 10:21 PM
Nope....sorry....just read it again and it didn't answer your question. I remember reading somewhere that the Emil slats would pop out quicker and make a sound whereas the later versions did not make a banging noise.

XyZspineZyX
09-05-2003, 10:30 PM
Yes, I noticed there was no info on the actual operation of the slats but the site was great anyway. Some really nice photos of the installation!