PDA

View Full Version : Probably the best campaign mission I have ever played.

Hunde_3.JG51
11-18-2004, 11:31 PM
Its just me and my wingman in our F4U-1D's heading to Iwo. We reach the island and find a flurry of activity. Suddenly we are going head to head with 3 Zekes and I tell my wingman to attack freely. I latch on to the end of a train of Zero's and get hits on one, and yo-yo over and over again to finish him off but his friends are gaining with each turn. I manage to finish the trailer off but have taken a few hits from the 5 Zeroes chasing me. Time to run back to the fleet as my engine is obviously getting weaker.

With overheating engine I reach the home fleet trailing 5 Zekes. I make a run to the carrier for defense. As I pass over the flat-top two enemies are shot into the sea, one almost hitting the carrier. As we pull away from the carrier another Zero takes hits and heads for home leaving a trail of smoke. Two left.

Now I run towards a friendly destroyer and the Zeroes are gaining as my engine is dying. The destroyer manages to pick another off and he spins into the water below. One left.

I try another run back to my carrier but he is within shooting range. As I almost reach my carrier he lands several good hits and my controls are damaged. I am at very low altitude but I still try to bail, seemingly hopeless. But instead I fight the aircraft, trying to stall it and using rudder to keep the nose up as I fly sideways a few feet above the water. It works, I manage to ditch into the water and inflate my dingy as I float above my now burning Corsair.

My enemy persists and heads toward a comrade who is trying to land, canopy open and all. A few yards out from touching down the remaining Zeke cuts the Corsair in half while still over the water with an accurate burst, but the front portion of the aircraft falls onto the deck and stops standing up!!! The pilot is wounded but alive and on deck.

Seconds later as the Zero passes the carrier it explodes in a barrage of flak.

Saved the track, too cool.

BM357_Raven
11-18-2004, 11:53 PM
Awesome!

The_Ant
11-19-2004, 02:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hunde_3.JG51:
Its just me and my wingman in our F4U-1D's heading to Iwo. We reach the island and find a flurry of activity. Suddenly we are going head to head with 3 Zekes and I tell my wingman to attack freely. I latch on to the end of a train of Zero's and get hits on one, and yo-yo over and over again to finish him off but his friends are gaining with each turn. I manage to finish the trailer off but have taken a few hits from the 5 Zeroes chasing me. Time to run back to the fleet as my engine is obviously getting weaker.

With overheating engine I reach the home fleet trailing 5 Zekes. I make a run to the carrier for defense. As I pass over the flat-top two enemies are shot into the sea, one almost hitting the carrier. As we pull away from the carrier another Zero takes hits and heads for home leaving a trail of smoke. Two left.

Now I run towards a friendly destroyer and the Zeroes are gaining as my engine is dying. The destroyer manages to pick another off and he spins into the water below. One left.

I try another run back to my carrier but he is within shooting range. As I almost reach my carrier he lands several good hits and my controls are damaged. I am at very low altitude but I still try to bail, seemingly hopeless. But instead I fight the aircraft, trying to stall it and using rudder to keep the nose up as I fly sideways a few feet above the water. It works, I manage to ditch into the water and inflate my dingy as I float above my now burning Corsair.

My enemy persists and heads toward a comrade who is trying to land, canopy open and all. A few yards out from touching down the remaining Zeke cuts the Corsair in half while still over the water with an accurate burst, but the front portion of the aircraft falls onto the deck and stops standing up!!! The pilot is wounded but alive and on deck.

Seconds later as the Zero passes the carrier it explodes in a barrage of flak.

Saved the track, too cool. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Post the track please!
It sounds interresting,the last part about the wingman landing the front section on the carrier.

SeaFireLIV
11-19-2004, 04:43 AM
wow. It`s personal stories like that which shows just what can happen in a sortie offline in FB/PF! What would we do without recordable replay?

Fehler
11-19-2004, 08:58 AM
This reads like a real pilot account of some 60 years vintage.

I have been having a lot of fun playing the offline campaign as an IJN pilot. I try to fly one mission a day, and dont use any time skip.

I wonder what pilots did back then on long flights... perhaps crossword puzzles...

1.JaVA_Hornet
11-19-2004, 09:03 AM
Hunde,
I am also flying the same campaign.
In a mission I was following 4 zeke`s.
I shot them all in one flyby.

I love this campaign and you can practise the
decklandings. The last 4 flights I can land in one time correct.

|Exciter|
11-19-2004, 11:01 AM
Heheh cool story. Post the track when ya get a chance.
I just ordered the game, Cant wait to get it!
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

FatBoyHK
11-19-2004, 12:14 PM
I think I may have a even better mission last night....

it was 18 June 1944, I was a 2nd Lietenent of the 352FS, 357FG. We have just been transftered to the airbase B1, which was a forward base just behind the line, and just been re-equiped with the brand new P051D-20-NA.

This morning we were out for a free hunting on the Le Harve airspace, which heavy enmey activity had been reported recently. 8 Mustangs, I was number 6. We saw action even before taking off, there were two BF109G6s coming in. They went after our flight leader, but he claimly bait them into a trap, which our number 2 and 3 made no mistake in getting the job done.

Our morale are sky-high when we were climbing to 12000ft and headed to the target area. 5 minutes before arrival the flight leader spotted a group of 8 Fw190F8s at 12 o'clock low, at about 5000ft. He ordered the attack, and we dove down one after one.

Just before my turn I spotted a huge cloud of bandits coming in dead ahead. Their big red noses told me they were BF109G6s form the infamous JG2, and there were at least 12, may be more. I immediately reported it to my leader, but seem it is too late.... they were already TnBing with those F8, which, as it turned out, was costing them dearly.

At this moment only number 8 were flying with me. Together we were going to buy as much time as we could for our squadmates, before they could climb back to our altitute and save our a$$.

Our enmeies seem to have other idea. As it turned out, it was a very well-organized set-piece. Those 109s dove down toward our squadmates immediately, while those 190 followed our spuadmates' climb. Trapped in this sandwitch, my friends would have nowhere to go...

Spotted this trap from above, and obviously unseen by both groups of bandits, we were the only ones who have a chance to prevent the worst from happening. With number 8 covering me, we moved silencely into the six of the tailing 109s pair. I holded my fire until 200ft, scored good hits around the cockpit of the wingman's plane. It igiled immediately, rolled to the starboard and dove striaght down to the sea.

To our amazement, his wingmate was unaware of his friend's demise. Good for us, and I duly shot at him at 300ft. His engines caught fire, and quit a moment later. He tried to escape by barrel-roll and then spit-s. I know he was not gonna make it back home anyway, so I let it go. I must conserve my energy, because I know I gonna need every drop of them.

At that time I heard tons of swears coming in through my radio. Surely my friends are not in good shape, we better help them now. Swears became cries as we closed in, and we saw two Mustangs falling down with flaming tails. In quick succession I shot two bandits from my frends' six. The first one dove into the sea, I thought I hit the pilot. The another one lost his rudder, and number 8 finished it off.

Knowing the numerical advantage our enemies have, and the danger it presented, I zoomed up immediately afterward, consevred my energy and regained my SA at about 8000ft. At this time only 4 Mustangs are still alive, number 2, 3, 8 and me. Meanwhile there is at least 10 bandits around. I dove toward number 2, who was running for his life at about 2000ft, and has 2 109s on his six, with all guns blasting. At the same time number 8 headed toward number 3, who is TnBing with 2 190s at 5000ft.

Sadly, when I arrived the scene, number 2 had already lost his engine. He tried to crash-land, but those 109s finished him off before he has a chance to do so. My mind was overloaded with anger and sadness, and I gave the tailing 109 a good 3-seconds shot. He exploded in mid-air.

Now I was in point-blank range of another 109. He was aware of my presence, and responsed by turning sharply to the right. This worked well for him, as it spoiled my firing solution. Instead of bleeding off my energy advantage, I did a high yo-yo, and came down again. This time there was no escape, and I got his engine, and proably his control, as I saw him corkscrewing down in a very steep angle. I let him go, he couldn't make it anyway.

Immediately afterward I saw tracers shooting pass me. They were from 2 190s at my 8 o'clock low. It was a lucky escape, and obviously they won't let me go easily next time. I had the upper hand, however, because I was faster and higher than they were. I gambled it all-out by zooming straight up, and at the same time called in number 8 for help.

They tried to catch me, but they struggled when doing so. We came down together, and zoom up again. This time my advantage became very obvious. Low in energy and in a dangerous position, they tried to escape by diving toward the deck. But it is too late, number 8 arrived at this perfect monment. He got one of them and crippled another one. I finished the job as I came down at 300 MPH with all guns blasting.

At this atage I didn't have much ammo left, I thought it is the best time to bug out. Despite having a overheating engine, I redlined it for a little bit more time, and dove in a slight angle toward our home. I updated my SA, and found that only number 8 and I made it back home in one piece. After a long tounery, our sweet home was within my sight, I took a breath of relief as I lined up for the landing, full flaps. gear down......Oh wait, tracers!

The tracers is from the AAA of my base, I thought they must have misidentified me? But it is not possible (in this virtual world). I looked back, and found 2 109s at my six. Obviously they were so determined to have their revenge. I retracted everything, redlined my engine, and called number 8 for help. My friend back hime did me a great favor, with dozens of AAA blasting, those 109s broke their attack and turned back for home, but not before my now-trustly number 8 came in and claim one of them.

I triple-checked the airspace before I lined up again. And I kept looking at my six before I touched down, this nearly spoiled my landing fatally. I made it nonetheless, and together with my number 8, we reported to our CO. Final score 15 vs 6, I got 6, he got 4. Number 1, 2, 3, 4 and 7 each got one before being shot down. Only Number 5 make it alive as a POW, he hit the silk.

Hunde_3.JG51
11-19-2004, 01:26 PM
I was just messing around with the camapaign stuff, not taking it too seriously (too much fun looking at my new perfect water http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif), but I'll send the track to whoever wants it. I don't know how to post so just PM or something and I'll be glad to provide it. It's worth it just to see the plane break in half and land on deck http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

wayno7777
11-19-2004, 09:07 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gifwill be waiting for that track!

FI_Willie
11-20-2004, 10:47 AM
I'd like to see that track.

willie@squadtfw.com if it isn't too much trouble.

THANKS!!

Hunde_3.JG51
11-20-2004, 12:39 PM
Track sent, enjoy.

The_Great_Stonk
11-20-2004, 01:07 PM
send it my way to stonka@gmail.com aswell please http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif should be good viewing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hunde_3.JG51
11-20-2004, 02:44 PM
Great Stonk, not at home right now, will send it later tonight.

BlakJakOfSpades
11-20-2004, 02:49 PM
maybe u could ask pingu or someone to host it?

|Exciter|
11-20-2004, 04:34 PM
Please send to:----- m8o@yahoo.com http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

AndyKanyer
11-20-2004, 05:02 PM
please send to andy.kanyer AT gmail DOT com

thanks alot!

Hunde_3.JG51
11-20-2004, 10:55 PM
Tracks sent, I figured out that you must start the game with new.exe, as that is what I use. If you play track with old/regular .exe than you will get something completely different.

Don't know if this was in the readme or not but there it is.

Thanks for the replies, enjoy.

WTE_Ibis
11-21-2004, 12:32 AM
I would really like to see that track as well if you are able.
calsof@netspace.net.au
Thanks, Ibis. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

WTE_Ibis
11-21-2004, 05:25 AM
Jeez m8 were you badly burned? you should have paddled away a bit.How did they pick you up,no choppers there.
Great track,hope you had your brown trousers on http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif