PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever noticed...

Dolemite-
12-14-2004, 01:31 AM
Now, I know the IL-2 series has its own sound generator and that you cant change any of the sounds. But have you ever noticed that some of best sounding planes in this sim are Russian?

Lagg, Yak, and Mig-3 have the best engine sounds (imho) in the whole sim. While the American P-39, P-40, P-51, and British Hurricane and Spitfire have the worst engine sounds (imho).

Just for a comparison fly a Spitfire for few a min. Then fly a Lagg-3 for a few min. Then go back to the Spitfire.

You'll notice the high whiney Spit engine sounds like cr@p, while the Lagg-3 has a more realistic deep-throaty engine sound.

Now, imagine if the inline engines of the P-39, P-40, P-51, Hurricane, and Spitfire had these same engine sounds of the Lagg/Yak/Mig-3.

Sounds good doesnt it?

Though the sounds will stay the same as they are, would anyone else like to see this switch?

25th_Orwell-84
12-14-2004, 01:57 AM
No.

AWL_Spinner
12-14-2004, 08:46 AM
I always loved the supercharger whine of the 109 in IL2. Awesome sound.

Hoping for some improvements in BoB.

Cheers, Spinner

han freak solo
12-14-2004, 09:53 AM
I like the sounds being different for different engines.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif My favorite engine sound in the game is of the I-16.

Chuck_Older
12-14-2004, 10:23 AM
Does anyone here know what these engines really sound like?

Or is it a case of "the Merlin was awesome, it must sound like the best engine"?

I know that the sounds in the game aren't the best, but for a real life comparison, I just swapped camshafts in my muscle car engine. It's a Buick 455 bored out to 462 cubic inches- that's 7.5 litres.

With the stock cam, it purred so sweetly. I could idle it at 400 rpm. Even with big ID tubular headers, you could carry on a normal conversation while it ran with the hood open. It was quiet. As quiet as maost new cars with a V6 and small exhausts with manifolds.

Now I have a high lift and long duration cam in it. It sounds like a stock car.

Both sounds are "good" sounds. but they are different.

It seems to me like folks are making up their minds about what these engines ahould sound like, without really knowing what they do sound like. "Sounds good" or "sounds bad" is completely subjective

TacticalYak3
12-14-2004, 10:30 AM
Probably have a point. However, enough of us have watched movies like Battle of Britain (1969) to know the "unique" sound of a Spitfire or Hurricane. Disappointing when the few planes that we do know about are not presented properly with regards to sound quality (but not a biggie for me).

As for other planes there are some excellent sites I go to to hear sound clips of these planes.

While sound could be improved, I can tell the difference between a Bf-109 sneaking up on my six opposed to a fellow La (for example). So the sounds are helpful for SA even if they are not perfect.

Regards,
TactS!

NORAD_Zooly10
12-14-2004, 10:33 AM
the sound of a melin engined Spit is heavenly, the P51 comes a close second (although i must admit the griffon spits engine sounds agressively powerful).

RobertNighthawk
12-14-2004, 10:35 AM
Chuck, that sounds like a really fast car.

Yeah, I'll bet with the new cam it gets that cool chugging idle...takes me back to the old drag racing days of youth. Of course, gasoline was but 34 cents per gallon. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers

sithgod
12-14-2004, 10:39 AM
The only one I complain about is the Merlin. I have no idea what the 109's sounded like or Fw-190's, P-47's and so on.

But the Merlin I have heard. I heard it at a couple of airshows as well as the 1969 Battle of Britain film. To me the sound of the Spit is as important as its looks.

I really loved the sound of the 109's in the 60 BoB film. Though I don't know if that is what the Hispano engine ones actually sounded like or if its something they did for the film but I really liked them. They sounded mean.

So overall I don't complain about the sounds as I think they sound pretty good. But the Merlin aircraft are lacking that key element.

Its probobly not possible but it would be cool to have recordings made of flybys, in cockpit of some of the aircraft. Ones that are still flying.

NorrisMcWhirter
12-14-2004, 10:40 AM
Hi,

I always thought the annoying whining noise that was emitted from P-xx planes was not the engine but the pilot! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

More seriously, I've not seen many VVS or LW aircraft at airshows (except I-15 and Ju-52) but the external sounds in this game sound nothing like what they do in real life for Spitfires, P-xx or Corsairs.

Cheers,
Norris

BuzzU
12-14-2004, 10:45 AM
The blower whistle on the 109's was really cool. How come we lost that? Did the real planes do it?

flyingscampi
12-14-2004, 11:25 AM
@sithgod The 109's in BOB had Merlin engines.

You can tell by the exhausts located at the top of the cowling http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

There was some short movies posted recently from a recently restored Gustav that demonstrates what a wonderful sound the DB605 makes. Can't find the links though.

F0_Dark_P
12-14-2004, 11:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BuzzU:
The blower whistle on the 109's was really cool. How come we lost that? Did the real planes do it? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>why did they remove that? the whistle sound was there i Janes WWII fighters also, i havent heard a 109 irl but do some one here know if you can download a 109 engine sound anywhere?

sithgod
12-14-2004, 04:36 PM
Maybe a little redundant as I don't know if anyone hasn't heard a Merlin engine. But here it is .

http://www.geocities.com/jheleno/spitfire.mp3

Aparently this is a bf-109 I have never heard them so I can't comment. But if its accurate then this is what they sounded like.

http://www.bf109.com/sounds/109flypast.mp3

F0_Dark_P
12-14-2004, 06:44 PM
i think that 109 is spot on http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SeaFireLIV
12-14-2004, 07:09 PM
I heard sound samples of engines like the P51 , P47 and Spits, oh and a restored 109 and what I noticed is they sound much more deeper and throater. It reminds me of when I`ve heard a horse neighing (in real life) in Devon, it`s much deeper and throatier than anything I hear on TV. Perhaps it`s more difficult than we think to create a Merlin engine, etc sound for a computer game.

Anyway, I simply upp the bass and slightly up the treble on my soundcard to replicate this effect. Good way to bring that deep sound. Then IL2 sounds pretty good.

VW-IceFire
12-14-2004, 08:55 PM
In-game I think the best sound is actually the P-40. Or the P-38. Those two guys have a great sound about them. The Merlin isn't quite there...but its ok.

The radial engines are pretty boring....but eh.

I wonder how the Tempest will sound...betting it'll be a Merlin sounding thing. We'll see if they can give it some meat to it.

Bearcat99
12-14-2004, 09:47 PM
I like the 109 and P-40 sounds...... the sounds could be better.. but IMO they arent bad. I think the flyby sounds are all too similar..