PDA

View Full Version : Any chance for interactive pits with BoB?

Hans_Philipp
12-05-2004, 01:14 PM
Would surely give the "less planes-more detail" strategy added weight.

There are few things that need modelling in a WWII series pit, so if I could use my 6DOF Track IR, and look around the pit to click and switch, I'd surely be in for a more immersive experience!

NORAD_Zooly10
12-05-2004, 02:22 PM
during a heated dogfight?
that would/could be a real pain is the a$$
~S~
Zooly

PriK
12-05-2004, 02:35 PM
That would be nice and I'm pretty confident it will be done. MS2004 already does this and I think it rocks, especially with 6DOF/vector. You can just lean forward to read the switches up close or around the control column and use the mouse to flip switches.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

TX-EcoDragon
12-05-2004, 03:29 PM
I would hope so. . . to me clickable/interactive panels are a required component for modern sims in my book, for me that is the main failing of LOMAC. The user should still be able to use keyboard/HOTAS control inputs in addition so that you don't need to look at the panel to adjust things, teh nicest thing about this is if the cockpit was animated then you would not need the hudlog to tell the position of the cowl flaps, flaps, etc.

Aaron_GT
12-05-2004, 03:32 PM
I suspect that in a few years we'll be using 6DF Track IR type set ups and goggles for even more immersion. When you get to that point in cockpit controls or voice control becomes pretty much essential as you won't be able to see your keyboard any more.

Mjollnir111675
12-05-2004, 03:50 PM
Yep!!
I love B-17 II fer that!! Flippin toggles does rock!! FUll interaction is the next level!!!

Hans_Philipp
12-06-2004, 02:04 AM
BTW, with 6DOF, there's no serious excuse anymore for depriving us of a living breathing cockpit with an actual pilot in it. No more "his knees get in the way" excuses!;-)

In all seriousness though, it would be a big immersion boost, with no loss in practicality, and like mirrors, you could switch the pilot on and off. I'd love to see those two hands wrap around my stick as I yank it from one side to the next...

(Lol...pun definately NOT intended!)

Also, imagine the movies made with such a simple feature.

WOLFMondo
12-06-2004, 03:24 AM
Having a pilot model in the cockpit would be great but for those who don't use/have trackIR keyboard shortcuts for all plane functions is still needed.

TangmerePhilipp
12-06-2004, 03:53 AM
I agree-For clickable switches too we should retain the option of keyboard selection.

More features doesn't have to mean more "mandatory" features.

ZG77_Lignite
12-06-2004, 12:43 PM
I don't mean to be contrary, but for me, 'clickable switches' are not at all important; as long as the 'switches' are animated and realistic a keystroke is all I require. I would even go so far as to say I find the 'mouse arrow' in FS2004 series to be highly aggravating and an immersion destroyer.

Whats worse, it seems to me it would highly detract from your 'average' simmers view system, which hold the mouse as integral. I realize most of 'us' have TrackIR and fancy hat switches, but not everybody does. I didn't as little as 2 years ago, and the 'mouseview' was critical to my immersion. I don't think I see a way to compromise between 'clickable switchs' and a 'natural mouseview'; and I know I would prefer a 'natural mouseview'.

$.02

ucanfly
12-07-2004, 12:08 AM
I don't see a problem with having clickable switches at all. In fact if BOB doesn't have them it would be a real shame. Janes F18 had them years ago, FS2004 has them. I had no trouble with the Janes game even though I didn't have track IR and the mouse pointer was not visible unless you moved it. IMO I think clickable 'pits is required of any flight sim that is to be considered a hardcore simulation.

TangmerePhilipp
12-07-2004, 01:29 AM
Clickable switches should not mean that you HAVE to actually click them. It could be done by keyboard shortcuts as well. It^s just an immersion boost to look down once in a while and flip some switches.

Quite contrary to the speedbar-digitized readouts-what do we need cockpit gauges for-mentality;-)