PDA

View Full Version : Tonka Tanks: Do vehicles seem small to you guys?

XyZspineZyX
10-21-2004, 11:31 PM
Doing some practice strafing, it just struck me that even when I get real close to the tanks and trucks, practically landing on top of them, they seem toy-sized compared to the aircraft.

Fearing what I've seen in other games where vehicles, buildings, etc are not all scaled to the same metric, I ran a test where I taxied about on the ground next to tanks, trucks and houses and such... All of the ground objects seem about 50% too small to me.

I was using a 109 in the test which I know offhand is a very small plane and yet it seems to dwarf tanks even when right next to them on the ground. Even the mighty 88mm AAA, which I believe should be very large next to a 109 looks like it could almost be strung underneath the wing like a gunpod or something.

I don't have access to stats on the realworld size of a panzer, halftrack, and a Messerschmidt though, so perhaps my expectations are just off.

What do you guys think? Do the ground objects seem the right size to you?

(I'm using IL2 v1.2)

WTE_Galway
10-21-2004, 11:41 PM
i suspect its more lack of detail that makes them appear toy like

if you want actual specs and dimensions of SS and wehrmach vehicles have alook here ..

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/votw/index.html

Porsimo
10-22-2004, 12:28 AM
And don't forget that even the smallest plane in the game is actually pretty huge compared e.g. to a man in real life...

SeaFireLIV
10-22-2004, 03:27 AM
Tonka toys are small wheras actual vehicles are far...away... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-22-2004, 05:58 AM
Try the test that I did... taxi right up to a tank or an 88 and just compare the size of your _pilot_ to it... they look way too small. I'm not sure a 109 pilot could even fit inside a PanzerIV in the game and the 88 looks about the size of a Browning M2 on a tripod (maybe a little bigger than that).

Tully__
10-22-2004, 06:43 AM
They're not far off. Tiger I should be about 3.2m wide. Hurricane wingspane is a bit over 12m, so 3 Tigers side by side should be a bit less than the wingspan of a Hurricane if the tanks aren't so close they're touching. A quick test in FMB shows it works out about right.

Most of the "small" look is a result of the Field of View on display in the monitor being greater than the monitor actually occupies in your real field of view. For most average home PC's the monitor will occupy between 27-35 degrees field of players view, but the game field of view displayed at "normal" zoom is 70 degrees. Pretty much everything is going to look only half as big as it should at that zoom level.

As for comparing your pilot to the tank, stand a man next to a car in real life and it doesn't look like he'll comfortably fit (if you stop to think about it) but he does.

georgeo76
10-22-2004, 08:35 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/georgeo76/armorsize.jpg

I think this should put the debate to rest. The proportions look right to me, I think the misconception comes form POV distortion, and ppl tend to forget how large AC really are.

For instance, the P-38 wingspan in 52 feet, that's the same length of a trailer on an 18-wheeler.