PDA

View Full Version : I'm hooked

dutchman08
01-22-2005, 12:35 PM
I've been a fan of flight sims for a long time. But I must admit the pinnacle seemed to be CFS2 and then I burnt out. But I picked up PF and a new joystick (and 512mb more RAM) and have really enjoyed the physics model and the graphics.

But after spending days trying to take off with a broken Logitech Formula Force 3D, I was frustrated. So I bought a new non-FF joystick (Saitek Evo) and solved that problem immediately.

Then it seemed sort of choppy flying around. But the new RAM solved that.

Then I've spent the last few days being shot down. Shot down. And shot down some more.

But today, for whatever reason, I took off during an air raid (I'm USAAF)shot down an incoming Japanese Bomber, was shot at myself quite a bit but did not die or crash....then chased the bombers home and was able to pick one from the pack, withstand a hail of bullets from her rear-tail gunner....and shoot it up on two seperate passes that forced a hail of parachutes to depart the crippled bomber as it decended towards the dense jungles below.

On top of that, I successfully landed my P-40 back home and was quite proud of myself.

I'm hooked on PF, maybe when I get tired of it, I'll check out IL-2 in the Eastern Theatre.

dutchman08
01-22-2005, 12:35 PM
I've been a fan of flight sims for a long time. But I must admit the pinnacle seemed to be CFS2 and then I burnt out. But I picked up PF and a new joystick (and 512mb more RAM) and have really enjoyed the physics model and the graphics.

But after spending days trying to take off with a broken Logitech Formula Force 3D, I was frustrated. So I bought a new non-FF joystick (Saitek Evo) and solved that problem immediately.

Then I've spent the last few days being shot down. Shot down. And shot down some more.

But today, for whatever reason, I took off during an air raid (I'm USAAF)shot down an incoming Japanese Bomber, was shot at myself quite a bit but did not die or crash....then chased the bombers home and was able to pick one from the pack, withstand a hail of bullets from her rear-tail gunner....and shoot it up on two seperate passes that forced a hail of parachutes to depart the crippled bomber as it decended towards the dense jungles below.

On top of that, I successfully landed my P-40 back home and was quite proud of myself.

I'm hooked on PF, maybe when I get tired of it, I'll check out IL-2 in the Eastern Theatre.

tsisqua
01-22-2005, 12:40 PM
All of the progress in development of PF will be applied to all of FB/Aces if you do a merged install. As good as PF is for you, you ain't seen nuthin' yet!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gifWelcome To The Madnesshttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Tsisqua

Covino
01-22-2005, 12:52 PM
I'm totally hooked as well. I'm still in the beginning of an early war Navy fighter campaign and I'm having a blast.
The Wildcat vs. Zero dogfight is truly an artform and I've actually went researching for Wildcat pilot tactics (something I rarely do). When I'm in the thick of it, dodging enemy fire and weaving through flak, all the while tinkering with my engine controls to get optimal performance, it's an experience unlike any other.
Best. Game. Ever.

horseback
01-22-2005, 01:04 PM
As a long-time addict, I welcome you to the ranks! Since I have the original Il-2 and the Forgotten Battles/Aces Expansion Pack/ Pacific Fighters merged install, I do not know for certain, but can only assume that the Pacific Fighters stand-alone has a Quick Missions Builder as well.

I usually practice a bit in QMB before entering my campaign mode, and I initially found that it was easier to get my 'shooting eye' calibrated for my fighter type if I started by shooting down enemy bombers and fighter types set up as 'friendly' formations.

They just kinda sit there for you while you learn what is the best range/convergence for you, what their vulnerable spots are, how quickly you need to pull up on a firing pass, and so on. It's a low risk, low stress way to figure out your best methods of attack. (and let's face it, it's deeply satisfying to watch the bastages going down in flames after abusing you so many times in your campaigns...)

Once you get the hang of that, you can move to Rookie enemy formations and find out that even Rookie AI gunners are way better marksman than Davy Crockett ever dreamed of being, but that they can be avoided or sometimes killed.

You also get to deal with hostile fighters and learn your relative strengths and best methods for dealing with them in 2 or 4 on 3, 4, 8 or 9/12 missions. Surviving the Furball 101, say.

As your skills improve, you can move up to Average, Veteran, and Ace opponents, and learn how and when the last two types cheat...

Anyway, welcome, and have fun!

cheers

horseback

AFJ_Locust
01-22-2005, 04:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dutchman08:

I'm hooked on PF, maybe when I get tired of it, I'll check out IL-2 in the Eastern Theatre. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get the Gold Pack & be hooked for life

Bearcat99
01-22-2005, 05:00 PM
Definitely........... Do yourself a favor..... get the GOLD Pack... You say you arent interested in the Eastern Front.... well let me tell you.... the Soviets had some pret-ty interesting planes. Toss in the Ponies,Jugs,Hawks,Maps and all of the future updates and you have a reciped for a long term pastime. If you think PF is great......... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Troll2k
01-22-2005, 05:48 PM
At this rate the Fb Gold Pack will need a second printing.

heywooood
01-22-2005, 07:56 PM
lets hope so - 1c has shown that they reinvest in their product and we all benefit...even when we dont all realize it right away.

Tully__
01-22-2005, 10:10 PM
Get the Gold Pack (Forgotten Battles + Ace Expansion Pack in one box), it adds heaps of extra planes when installed as a merged install and you'll need it for online play.

If you haven't previously considered online, I urge you to do so http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

indylavi
01-23-2005, 01:56 AM
Yeah you should really get the gold pack. To me the Gold Pack is better than PF but that's my own opinion. Plus you can install all 3 into one massive game. You can pick the Gold Pack up at EBgames for 20 bucks. Every place else I've seen it for 30. All of the planes you get just for 20 bucks. Come on you have to do that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Here's the EB link
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/241057.asp

dutchman08
01-23-2005, 08:47 AM
You had to post a link. For $19.99, I guess you can't go wrong. It's on the way. Thanks for that.

I wonder if I will have to uninstall PF now and then reinstall in proper order?

eddiemac0
01-23-2005, 09:07 AM
yes you will, and you will have to get the merged patches (recently went through the process myself, and I can tell you it was quite well worth it). Just backup your campaigns and pilots and insert them back in after the reinstall.

T_O_A_D
01-23-2005, 09:12 AM
Welcome aboard! Say goodby to what ever life you once had. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif