PDA

View Full Version : AI opponent's move rate is unrealistic

steve_s_seattle
11-04-2007, 12:42 AM
When I play rated games, my AI opponent uses less than a minute of clock time for thirty moves or more. This seems wildly unrealistic to me and I often lose due to expired clock time (since I am playing ten minute games).

Does anyone else share my frustation or have some advice?

likesforests
11-04-2007, 12:49 AM
Which opponent are you playing? So far I have only played "Josh - Age 8". He's weak, but he seemed to use the clock in a semi-realistic way. He played the opening quickly and the middlegame and endgame slowly. Although a real opponent might think very deeply before exchanging into a pawn endgame and then play very quickly after that... but now I'm splitting hairs. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

steve_s_seattle
11-04-2007, 03:03 AM
I just ran a game between the Chessmaster (2935) and Simon (664) using a 45/3 Fischer clock (45 minutes per player, 3 second added after each move). After 24 moves, the clock times were 30:26 for the Chessmaster and 46:05 for Simon. It looks like the Chessmaster program does not simulate the indecision time of a weaker player.

This will prevent me from using Chessmaster to practice planning ahead while my AI opponent makes a move. It will also prevent me from practicing fast play in order to run out the clock on my opponent.

likesforests
11-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Simon (664) ... After 24 moves, the clock times were ... 46:05 for Simon.
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that! Even if the computer only needs to think 1-2 seconds it should add an artificial delay to be more realistic. I'll add this to my "Bug List" post to increase the chance of a developer seeing this. The good news is, you should break 1000 soon if you break the 1000 level very quickly if you go through Chessmaster's basic lessons.

steve_s_seattle
11-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Thank you for your replies.

oozziejoe
01-08-2008, 02:25 AM
Hi steve,
that only happens for a couple of oppenents, and at 664, simon will make lots of mistakes. Just use as much time as you need, play ultra solid, and wait for the mistakes to come.
J

Originally posted by steve_s_seattle:
I just ran a game between the Chessmaster (2935) and Simon (664) using a 45/3 Fischer clock (45 minutes per player, 3 second added after each move). After 24 moves, the clock times were 30:26 for the Chessmaster and 46:05 for Simon. It looks like the Chessmaster program does not simulate the indecision time of a weaker player.

This will prevent me from using Chessmaster to practice planning ahead while my AI opponent makes a move. It will also prevent me from practicing fast play in order to run out the clock on my opponent.