10-20-2004, 06:38 PM
Hi guys,

I'm running the following system:
Athlon 64 3400+
1GB DDR400
RADEON X800XT Platinum Edition
Audigy 2
WinXP pro

I can run FB and AEP at 1600 x 1200, everything maxed (including perfect landscape) with 4XAA and 8XAF. But I'm finding that the performance in PF is much worse. It's fine when I'm doing carrier based operations, but taking off from an island is a total frame rate killer. And I'm not even running in Perfect mode anymore (can't do that with an ATI card, as it just leaves the entire screen black). From what I can tell it's the killer palm trees that are killing the frame rates.

I'm just wondering if anybody else is noticing this? Is there a way to remove palm trees without lowering other detail levels via a config tweak or similar workaround? And yes, my machine is running the latest drivers, and creams every other game and benchmark on the market (well, except LOMAC...).

Obi_Kwiet
10-20-2004, 06:44 PM
4.10 Cats. Now.

LEXX_Luthor
10-20-2004, 06:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Is there a way to remove palm trees without lowering other detail levels <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes!

This worked for FB/AEP. In Full Mission Builder use the Object Destruction slider and wipe out areas. See FMB Manual.

On the first FB Pacific dogfight map, the one that nobody could play on because of framerate hits, there are about 3,000 palm tree objects. They show up as destroyed objects at the bottom of a saved mission text file. About 50 palm trees per page times 60 pages is 3,000 palm trees.

What maps are you using? I wonder if the palm trees on maps like the large New Guinea map are concentrated near the coast. I hope so. I'd hate to Destroy millions of palm trees all across New Guinea and surrounding islands and turn each mission file into a multi~megabyte text file.

ContrailKing
10-20-2004, 06:54 PM
Like I said, I'm using the latest drivers. Which includes the Cat 4.10s =P

Have you found that these drivers allow you to play it smoothly? Actually, a thought just occurred to me. I might have accidentally switched to Direct3D mode when I was trying to figure out why the screen was black if I attempted to run with Perfect mode. Hmmm. Will check and get back to you.

So Lexx_luthor - will this method of wiping out the trees work when I'm in campaign mode? Don't suppose you've got a handy link to the FMB manual? (or is it on the disk?)

LEXX_Luthor
10-20-2004, 07:06 PM
mmm, not sure. I only do mission building myself so that's all I know about.

FP does not come with Manual now?