PDA

View Full Version : 4.04m+DGEN upgrade+True Pacific= Wow!

Ernst_Rohr
02-27-2006, 10:26 AM
Well, after cleaning up some self inflicted trouble, I have gotten IL2/PF upgraded with all the latest and greatest content, and wow am I impressed.

Nimitz has done a great job with True Pacific. The combination of True Pacific and the DGEN upgrades have really made a huge difference, particulary for the Singapore campaign. Bouncing Blenheims in a Ki-43 has been a blast, and in conjunction with the changes in 4.04, the Hurricane and Buffalo dogfights vs. my Ki-43 have been fantastic!

The new DGEN has been really noticable, and I have had a great time watching some of the stuff unfold. Flew a night bombing run in TB3's last night, and the combo of searchlights, flak, and getting bounced by 110's made for a hairy evening. Fantastic stuff!

My hats off to Oleg and co., and all the guys plugging in new content for this great sim!

Capt.LoneRanger
02-27-2006, 10:29 AM
Is there an easier way to set up the DGen-files, now? I tried it a while ago and you had to have an advanced IT-degree to set it up. Well, or maybe I was just too impatient...

Saunders1953
02-27-2006, 11:37 AM
I'm with that strange masked man and his Indian companion who just rode off...it sounds great, and I even downloaded both True Pac and the newer DGEN stuff, but I never really used DGEN before and it seems pretty confusing to the like of this sod busting ol' coot!

Capt._Tenneal
02-27-2006, 12:15 PM
Is True Pacific hosted on a site where you DON"T have to register ? I keep hoping Airwarfare.com can pick up the latest version, so I can just download it and be on my way. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ernst_Rohr
02-27-2006, 12:24 PM
The newer versions of the combined patch and True Pacific are actually pretty easy to install. You just need to follow the steps in the readme, and copy some files into a couple of directories inside of Pacific Fighters/IL2.

The DGEN is just copying some files into the directory and overwriting what is there. Works like a charm.

All of the current stuff is pretty easy to setup, just copy and paste and your done.

Capt._Tenneal, I just went and registered, they dont cost anything, and there are some other nice add ons there as well, including a Republican campaign for the Spanish Civil War. Worth registering, IMHO.

Capt.LoneRanger
02-27-2006, 12:49 PM
That was it was like before, Ernst. Follow the readme, copy and paste, move and run this, run that enable this option but DON'T do it before you enabled that and of course don't do this at home.

It used to be like 10 complex steps to even get a simple campaign running and I never got my P40E-campaign working without German markings http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Skycat_2
02-27-2006, 12:51 PM
Updating the Dgen files isn't as complicated as it looks when you open the zip folders. Take a look in your "Ubi Soft/IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles" and you'll see a folder named DGen. This is where all the campaign files go ... no fuss, no muss.

With the BoE4.0/DGen4043 compilation, all of the files are in the folders they need to be in so all you have to do is drop the contents into the IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles game folder. The compilation's "DGen" updates the game folder's "DGen"; "PaintSchemes" updates the game folder's "PaintSchemes"; "Samples" updates the game folder's "Samples" and "NGen" updates the game folder's "NGen." Just drag -n- drop all the folders and the DGen.exe from the compilation zip into your "Ubi Soft/IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles" game folder and let the files sort themselves out!

True Pacific is just as easy. This time drag all of the files from the zip into the game folder's "Dgen" folder. Take the Skins.zip included within and put those skins in the PaintSchemes folder. That's it! (You may lose some Pacific campaigns already in progress but I'm not sure.) Make a backup of your current DGen folder first as a precaution.

Skycat_2
02-27-2006, 12:54 PM
Here's where those two packs plus other stuff can be found:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?dlcategory=53

Registering for an account only takes a few seconds and I haven't seen any repurcussions like Spam-a-lot in my mailbox. I was wary also but I have no regrets from opening the account at CombatAce.com. A few seconds of time gets you access to a lot of free downloads. FWIW.

Breeze147
02-27-2006, 01:04 PM
I did it, so it must be easy.

Saunders1953
02-27-2006, 01:31 PM
Actually, I did it too, last weekend, but the True Pacific never showed up as an option under Pilot Career. What should I be looking for as a title/option? I figured I missed a step or something and was going to try it again. And hey, when that masked stranger on the white horse can't understand it, I get all scaredy-cat like that Black Bart and his varmints are out to get me, and I have to get the sheriff, and oh, it's just too much....

TSmoke
02-27-2006, 02:03 PM
The True Pacific Dgen doesn't add a new selection in your campaign menu. It changes the USN career, better missions and it's ten times better than the stock Dgen.

If I can get it to work anyone can, because if you want a computer dummy that would be me.

Just back up your dgen folder first.