PDA

View Full Version : How do you start a takeoff?

bmoffa
01-09-2007, 08:27 PM
I'm kind of new at this stuff. I can't figure out how to get my aircraft moving for a takeoff. I run up the power but nothing happens. I've tried every keybaord and joy stick comnination.

Zeus-cat
01-09-2007, 08:50 PM
Go into Controls and set a key for "Chocks". You have to remove chocks to get the plane to move. You can put them in after you land to keep the plane from rolling off the carrier.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Zeus-cat

My Campaigns:
Straight Shot (9 missions in the Japanese Seaplane - A6M2-N "Rufe")
Straight Into an Icy Hell (14 missions for the Rufe in the Aleutians)
Straight Down (26 dive-bombing missions in a carrier-based SBD-3)
Straight Down Some More (19 more missions in a carrier-based SBD-3)
Straight and True (30 torpedo bomber missions in an IL-2T)

My campaign page at Miision4Today
http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&c=22

hi_stik
01-10-2007, 07:43 AM
start by praying to Zeus...

Then, turn on the motor. Follow that by hitting Ctrl+E...

You'll take off to the alert shack for coffee and doughnuts!

bmoffa
01-10-2007, 08:07 AM
First, there is no start engine control that I can see. Second, CTRL+E is bail out.

I can run up the power and move the control surfaces, but the prop isn't moving. I tried removing the chocks, but all that did was make the aircraft slide around a little.

What does Toggle Engine do?

tlocus
01-10-2007, 08:24 AM
Hi,
Like someone else said, it could be your chocks.

Or, you have the prop pitch set too shallow. Try and set it to auto (press shift+0).

WB_Outlaw
01-10-2007, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by bmoffa:
What does Toggle Engine do?

It starts the engine. So much for every keyboard/joystick combination.

--Outlaw.

ShaK.
01-10-2007, 08:45 AM
single engine start by defualt is I<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Pentium II 233 mhz
seagate 1.5 gig harddrive
8 megs of ram
5 1/4" floppy drive
6" monochrome monitor
Quad SLI Crossfire Voodoo3 Ultra's
14k dial up
Windows Red Hat Vista

SeaFireLIV
01-10-2007, 03:43 PM
The biggest problem with posts like these is the guy seeking help never provides the basic info. Another could be someone having a joke. I`ll assume you`re genuine and say first:

Tell us what you are flying and where from. An F4f? From a Carrier?

1.Engine Start Key `i` : Starts engine.

2.Unfold wings Key (you assign key you want): unfold you wings. You have been unfolding your wings? I hope so.

3.Chocks Key (you assign key you want): removes chocks.

4.Joystick throttel or keyboard throttle number keys: Power up aircraft.

That`s all you need on a basic aircraft to at least roll forward!<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/SeaFireLIV/LIVeyes.jpg
"If it burns, it is confirmed."

Ivan Lukich Zvyagin

bmoffa
01-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Thanks to all. My biggest problem was that I was missreading the "I" as the vertical bar character on the keyboard not the letter "I". I also needed to know about the chocks thing. I'm getting off the ground and deck now. Well, about 25% of the time anyway.

WB_Outlaw
01-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by bmoffa:
Thanks to all. My biggest problem was that I was missreading the "I" as the vertical bar character on the keyboard not the letter "I". I also needed to know about the chocks thing. I'm getting off the ground and deck now. Well, about 25% of the time anyway.

Start off with no more than 25% fuel and an empty loadout. It will help you get the hang of "catching" the aircraft as it either goes off the end of the deck (some aircraft will literally fall 20 or 30 feet off the end of the deck before becoming truly airworthy) or unsticks from the deck. Zeros are best to start with IMO b/c they will just fly off the deck without dropping off the end.

--Outlaw.

jazman777
01-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Lock your tailwheel before you start, that will ensure you start out straight, but be ready to apply right rudder before/when the tail lifts.

If you're in an F4U, you can open the canopy and raise the seat. The key commands for all these, I believe, need to be mapped in the controls.

GregGal
01-11-2007, 01:54 AM
Carrier takeoff:
Canopy open
(raise your seat if possible)
Radiator open
Start engine
Flaps: takeoff
Tailwheel: locked
Chocks away
Request takeoff clearence
Throttle: 100% while holding brakes