PDA

View Full Version : Rudder trim on twist. My latest and greatest Saitek profiling idea.

Waldo.Pepper
02-25-2007, 05:19 PM
This may be more useless than my - "pull back the stick, lock the tailwheel" - idea. It is certainly more useless than zoom on a hat idea. This is likely only useful if you have rudder pedals and a X-52/45/36. Even then it is pretty esoteric, and marginal.

It bugged me that I had a twist stick but no use for it. In effect I was wasting an axis that could be put to use for something.

So I assigned rudder trim to the twist stick rotary. I ended up doing it in a convoluted way. First I just tried Rudder trim on the twist stick by assigning it in the HOTAS section of the control screen. I found this a poor method, even if I made a deadzone that was massive it ended up being too sensitive for my taste. Once I got past the deadzone it was easy to add too much rudder trim.

So here is what I did. I first went into the game and assigned/or took note of what key presses sent rudder left trim, and right trim signals. Then using the Saitek profiling software I broke the rudder axis into bands three of them, with tiny ones (5 percent) on the ends.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/WaldoPepper/rudder/rudder.jpg

After that is is a simple matter to make the end bands into advanced commands that will repeat the key press as long as I hold the stick all the way over in one direction or another.

If you like the idea explainations on how to achieve the various tasks are available at the following link.

How to break an axis into bands, and create advanced commands is in the SST Manual on the saitek site - here -

ftp://ftp.saitek.com/pub/support/sst_manual.pdf

Bingo-bango! That's it! I hope some of you like it. I do at least.

Waldo.Pepper
02-25-2007, 05:19 PM
This may be more useless than my - "pull back the stick, lock the tailwheel" - idea. It is certainly more useless than zoom on a hat idea. This is likely only useful if you have rudder pedals and a X-52/45/36. Even then it is pretty esoteric, and marginal.

It bugged me that I had a twist stick but no use for it. In effect I was wasting an axis that could be put to use for something.

So I assigned rudder trim to the twist stick rotary. I ended up doing it in a convoluted way. First I just tried Rudder trim on the twist stick by assigning it in the HOTAS section of the control screen. I found this a poor method, even if I made a deadzone that was massive it ended up being too sensitive for my taste. Once I got past the deadzone it was easy to add too much rudder trim.

So here is what I did. I first went into the game and assigned/or took note of what key presses sent rudder left trim, and right trim signals. Then using the Saitek profiling software I broke the rudder axis into bands three of them, with tiny ones (5 percent) on the ends.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/WaldoPepper/rudder/rudder.jpg

After that is is a simple matter to make the end bands into advanced commands that will repeat the key press as long as I hold the stick all the way over in one direction or another.

If you like the idea explainations on how to achieve the various tasks are available at the following link.

How to break an axis into bands, and create advanced commands is in the SST Manual on the saitek site - here -

ftp://ftp.saitek.com/pub/support/sst_manual.pdf

Bingo-bango! That's it! I hope some of you like it. I do at least.

-HH-Dubbo
02-25-2007, 05:40 PM
Always thinking you http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif Good idea

SithSpeeder
02-25-2007, 05:44 PM
Did the same thing already (banded last 5%)...but using Mix instead for them Ruski planes.

* _54th_Speeder *

WWMaxGunz
02-25-2007, 08:21 PM
Neat idea!

Only for me a stick without twist is easier to control more precisely and you can lock the
twist on an X-52.

But it's still a neat idea and for someone with better coordination than me it sounds very cool!

Bearcat99
02-25-2007, 09:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WWMaxGunz:
Neat idea!

Only for me a stick without twist is easier to control more precisely and you can lock the
twist on an X-52.

But it's still a neat idea and for someone with better coordination than me it sounds very cool! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah but thats for trim... actually this idea isnt new... The 99th has been doing it for a while.. but it is a good idea. Way more intuitive... and if you use the ball to manage the adjustment it is a done deal... I wish i could do that with my MSFFB2 twist rudder. I used to use the twist on the MS stick for trim.. but then when they improved the tourque I had to find something that I could adjust in increments. Now I use the X pot on my modified X-45 stick... it is on a knob..

WB_Outlaw
02-25-2007, 09:21 PM
You can always reduce the sensitivity of the rudder trim axis just like any other axis so that it's not so sensitive. I have all of my trim on analog axes and they are scaled down drastically.

--Outlaw.

jensenpark
02-25-2007, 09:49 PM
Meanwhile, at the Pepper household:

Mrs Pepper: "FOR THE LAST TIME, take out the bloody garbage already!!!"

Waldo: "but honey, I'm so close to a breakthrough on an unused portion of my x52!"

Waldo's memorial will be held Tuesday at 3:00pm. In lieu of donations, a collection is being taken to hire a PI to find Waldo's remains.

No601_prangster
02-26-2007, 04:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:

Yeah but thats for trim... actually this idea isnt new... The 99th has been doing it for a while.. but it is a good idea. Way more intuitive... and if you use the ball to manage the adjustment it is a done deal... I wish i could do that with my MSFFB2 twist rudder. I used to use the twist on the MS stick for trim.. but then when they improved the tourque I had to find something that I could adjust in increments. Now I use the X pot on my modified X-45 stick... it is on a knob.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use the throttle on my MSFFB2 for the rudder trim.

Bearcat99
02-26-2007, 06:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WB_Outlaw:
You can always reduce the sensitivity of the rudder trim axis just like any other axis so that it's not so sensitive. I have all of my trim on analog axes and they are scaled down drastically.
--Outlaw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes thats if it is on an axis.... if I had SST type profiling software for my MSFFB2 stick and I could band the axis like Waldo did I would just set the end bands to &gt; or &lt; trim... in increments.. that way it would be more precise.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No601_prangster:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Yeah but thats for trim... actually this idea isnt new... The 99th has been doing it for a while.. but it is a good idea. Way more intuitive... and if you use the ball to manage the adjustment it is a done deal... I wish i could do that with my MSFFB2 twist rudder. I used to use the twist on the MS stick for trim.. but then when they improved the tourque I had to find something that I could adjust in increments. Now I use the X pot on my modified X-45 stick... it is on a knob.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use the throttle on my MSFFB2 for the rudder trim. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rgr that... I used to do that.. actually I first used that throttle for prop pitch.. then I switched it to trim..... and and now it is back at prop pitch after I modded my X-45. I have the Y pot on the end of my throttle.. and the X pot is the little knob above the hat cluster.

http://star.walagata.com/thumbs/bearcat_X-45mod.jpg (http://star.walagata.com/w/bearcat/X-45mod.jpg)