PDA

View Full Version : Don't run that red light!



VonKlugermon
12-09-2005, 07:55 AM
http://www.avweb.com/newspics/potw06_1149.jpg


Willy

Woof603
12-09-2005, 08:06 AM
Love it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

han freak solo
12-09-2005, 12:20 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

NekoReaperman
12-09-2005, 12:29 PM
photoshop?

SithSpeeder
12-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Photoshop.

* _54th_Speeder *

oFZo
12-09-2005, 12:50 PM
shopped

ARCHIE_CALVERT
12-09-2005, 01:00 PM
Looks like Corfu to me...

Dunkelgrun
12-09-2005, 01:27 PM
Natalia Anemodoura of Kalithea, Athens (Greece)
sends this photo of "an Olympic Aviation ATR-42 during
an extremely low approach on RWY 17 at CFU (LGKR)."
The picture, she tells us, was taken on Corfu during August of 2004.


Well, Corfu is a crappy airport. I was there a couple of years ago and houses did flash past the window when we landed. I don't remember seeing traffic lights, but if you look, there is a red beacon on top of the lights, so it is entirely possible that this a real pic, and not Photoshop.
I remember making a mental note never to use Corfu airport again, so I'm never going to go back and check!

Cheers!

danjama
12-09-2005, 01:37 PM
Looks real to me. The traffic lights look closer than they are caus of the position the pic was taken from. Cool pic.

ploughman
12-09-2005, 04:51 PM
If that isn't a photoshop it's an accident waiting to happen.

There's a traffic light halfway up the runway on Gibraltar though, so it's not totally out of the question.

Kuna15
12-09-2005, 05:01 PM
I have experienced that event first hand. But not with that airfield. At first I didn't knew why we are waiting so long on the open road, I didn't connected that with airfield nearby.

Next thing I know my girlfriend pointed at the aircraft landing.

Woof603
12-09-2005, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Ploughman:
If that isn't a photoshop it's an accident waiting to happen.

There's a traffic light halfway up the runway on Gibraltar though, so it's not totally out of the question.

I was in and out of Gibralter quite a few times in the fifties. If I remember correctly a road ran directly across the middle of the runway. One of our T Birds made an emergency landing and clipped a bus. Sorry I don't remember any more details.

SithSpeeder
12-09-2005, 10:07 PM
Dunkel--

You left out the rest of the quote around the picture:
"Here Is SX-BIN!"
Yikes! Speaking of things that make us nervous,
Natalia Anemodoura of Kalithea, Athens (Greece)
sends this photo of "an Olympic Aviation ATR-42 during
an extremely low approach on RWY 17 at CFU (LGKR)."
The picture, she tells us, was taken on Corfu during August of 2004.
And no offense to Natalia, but we have to ask: Is that for real?
It seems like the hosting website has its doubts, too.

A quick search on the net yielded an improved approach view that shows no hills that close to the approach. http://www.airwork.nl/airportguide/airportpics/airportgroot/lgkr-kerkira-corfu.jpg Also, see the buildings up above it in the background of the "original"?. And then there is a huge freakin tree in the foreground (left side). You don't have huge trees in the path of your touchdown point (it's at least 25 feet tall, probably higher) within your airport fence (unless you are a sadistic IL2 airport designer).

I'm gonna waffle and say 40% chance of photoshop, 60% chance of being legit (the photographer mentioned is a known aviation photographer).

* _54th_Speeder *

luftluuver
12-10-2005, 12:02 AM
http://www.jamesnixon.com/Corfu_Kerkira.jpg
http://www.hcaa-eleng.gr/greek/airports/images/rwycfu_s.jpg

MrBlueSky1960
12-10-2005, 03:56 AM
Well I've been there... I think it was around 86 and let me say, it is that close... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif
The picture that SithSpeeder posted has evidence of some major construction work going on, weather this is before or after my visit I don't know... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif But the first photo is misleading as to just how much room is there... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Pirschjaeger
12-10-2005, 04:30 AM
It's Photoshopped.

Open it with PS and zoom in on the bottom of the plane. The reflection is on the a/c is green. In that position it should at least be more gray, reflection the road a partially the traffic.

Also, look closely at the traffic lights. The line seperating the plane from the light is too clean and sharp. The closer two objects are to the camera, the cleaner the lines should be. When you veiw object contrasts in the foreground, they're not as sharp. I guess they should have blended a little.

Sorry, I don't know any of the technical words to describe what I'm talking about, but zoom in and you'll see there are too many inconsistencies. It was a nice job though, the lighting is almost perfect.

Fritz

Pirschjaeger
12-10-2005, 04:38 AM
Hey, you don't even need to zoom in. Look at the lower corners of the larger traffic lights. Who ever made this forgot to clean the corners off when the cut it. If you don't believe me, zoom in, it's very clearly a fake.

Fritz

VonKlugermon
12-10-2005, 08:57 AM
I would have to admit that it's entirely possible it's a really good Photoshop job. That being said, knowing that telephoto lenses make objects appear uncomfortably close, (green reflection on plane's belly indicates it's further away, over the green grass of the approach) it's also possible it's very real. Anyone remember those two famous volcano experts and the pictures published in National Geographic? It LOOKED like they were right underneath exploding magma/lava, when in reality, they were hundreds of yards away. (still to close for me!)

Willy

Dunkelgrun
12-10-2005, 11:57 AM
The doubters appear to be ignoring the evident foreshortening in the pic; that tree is nowhere near the aircraft, and the possibilty that the edge marks on the traffic lights are rust.

There are some pics here (http://www.agni.gr/gallery/corfu_photos.asp?ID=1&gallery=Your%20Holiday%20Snaps/CORFU%20AIRPORT), including the original, but nothing conclusive either way. IMHO, having flown into there, is that the pic is very possible if the a/c is landing from the non-sea end.

Cheers!

Bremspropeller
12-10-2005, 12:03 PM
Hmm, I don't think the pic's shopped.

There are some even more thrilling aerodromes around:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/650785/L/

Bremspropeller
12-10-2005, 12:05 PM
Another cool one:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/087179/L/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/490051/L/

Dunkelgrun
12-10-2005, 12:05 PM
Here's (http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=452676&WxsIERv=-&Wm=0&WdsYXMg=-&QtODMg=Xrexlen%20[Pbesh%29%20-%20Vbnaavf%20Xncbqvfgevnf%20[PSH%20%2F%20YTXE%29&ERDLTkt=Terrpr&ktODMp=Frcgrzore%2020%2C%202003&BP=0&WNEb25u=Wbua%20Zvyyre&xsIERvdWdsY=&MgTUQtODMgKE=Svany%20EJL%2017%20jvgu%20BR-YAB.&YXMgTUQtODMgKERD=6600&NEb25uZWxs=2003-11-05%2000%3A00%3A00&ODJ9dvCE=&O89Dcjdg=&static=yes&width=1024&height=797&sok=JURER%20%20[ZNGPU%20[cynpr%29%20NTNVAFG%20[%27pbesh%27%20VA%20OBBYRNA%20ZBQR%29%29%20%20BEQRE %20OL%20cubgb_vq%20qrfp&photo_nr=11&prev_id=452677&next_id=428414&tbl=AIRPORT#)the approach!

Cheers!

Bremspropeller
12-10-2005, 12:08 PM
I'm quite sure everybody knows "st. Maarten's "Princess Juliana INTL Airport":

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/956680/L/

The "Maho Bay" is world famous:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/950582/L/


The mountain-ridge in the first pic demands a spectacuar departure-track:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/950153/L/


Definately the best pool-deck view of the island:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/902360/L/

I've been at St. Maarten in 2001 - there's absolutely nothing comparable to a 747 coming in ~15m above your head http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

KLM (no sure about this) and Air France used to fly daily from AMS or CDG to St. Maarten

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/819735/L/


Man, even girls like this place http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/806520/L/


View from the plane (the island in the background is Saba where the nice shorf cliff-runway is located):

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/784375/L/

Man, when you begin hear the whisling sound of her engines your heart suddenly starts pounding like hell:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/049020/L/


350 tons buzzing your head:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/739728/L/

danjama
12-10-2005, 02:56 PM
Nice pics!

VonKlugermon
12-13-2005, 07:04 AM
Here's a recent comment reference the picture of Corfu:

"You asked whether this picture is for real.
Having been there two months ago, I can confirm that the runway starts just to the left of the road, and 757s and 737s come over the road at a similar height. When I was there, the stoplights were not working, and the police had to physically block the road each time an aircraft landed this way. Most movements seem to arrive and depart the other end over the sea, allowing excellent pictures from the terrace on the hill there."

Willy

luftluuver
12-13-2005, 07:43 AM
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/806520/L/

Hope the pilots are not to distracted by the scenery. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

neural_dream
12-13-2005, 07:56 AM
About the Corfu pic it might be photoshop. The surname of the girl means Weathercock in Greek and is probably fake as well http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif.