PDA

View Full Version : IL2 Server Commander and Clouds

RMcSlash
02-21-2008, 06:45 PM
We have recently downloaded the latest version or IL2SC and set up our Tempest Union Server. Several or us make maps and we also load the USL competition maps in to practice. Everything works fine, and all and all we are happy.
I recently made a map the with setting of Thunder, with a cloud deck of 800m. Looks great when I test play it on my comp, a solid cloud cover maybe 500m thick, lightning arcing down, with a few small blue holes. A real struggle to climb through, but beautiful when you get on top into the sunshine and look down an the mass of white clouds. It looks exactly the same to everybody who joins if I set up a temporary server through the game on my comp.
But, when we play this map on the IL2SC server, there is still lighting and thunder and rain, but the cloud cover is more than halved, just spotty clouds. The clouds are higher and thinner and no where as difficult to fly through.
The Question, of course, is, are we missing something simple in set up, clouds are on, and we see no where, as in the game, to click on "Clouds Detailed".
Or does the server have some anti-lag default that won't allow such a heavy cloud cover?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or solutions.

RMcSlash
02-21-2008, 06:45 PM
We have recently downloaded the latest version or IL2SC and set up our Tempest Union Server. Several or us make maps and we also load the USL competition maps in to practice. Everything works fine, and all and all we are happy.
I recently made a map the with setting of Thunder, with a cloud deck of 800m. Looks great when I test play it on my comp, a solid cloud cover maybe 500m thick, lightning arcing down, with a few small blue holes. A real struggle to climb through, but beautiful when you get on top into the sunshine and look down an the mass of white clouds. It looks exactly the same to everybody who joins if I set up a temporary server through the game on my comp.
But, when we play this map on the IL2SC server, there is still lighting and thunder and rain, but the cloud cover is more than halved, just spotty clouds. The clouds are higher and thinner and no where as difficult to fly through.
The Question, of course, is, are we missing something simple in set up, clouds are on, and we see no where, as in the game, to click on "Clouds Detailed".
Or does the server have some anti-lag default that won't allow such a heavy cloud cover?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or solutions.

SlickStick
02-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Not positive, but this might help.

In the [GAME] section of the conf.ini file for the server, edit using Notepad or similar and add this line at the end, set to 1.

TypeClouds=1

This is a setting added in a later patch for more detailed clouds. I'm expecting that you might have it already on your main PC's conf.ini, if you are seeing the detailed clouds when not hosting through IL2SC.

na85
02-22-2008, 12:40 AM
Whatever the "clouds" setting is on the server gets forced onto all the clients joining, which ensures a level playing field with respect to cloud cover.

mbfRoy
02-22-2008, 02:19 AM
Yep, plus TypeClouds=X stopped doing anything somewhere around 4.07 AFAIK.

RMcSlash
02-22-2008, 02:37 AM
Will check it out and report back, thanks for the responses.
Open to any other ideas as well, so keep 'em coming.

SlickStick
02-22-2008, 07:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mbfRoy:
Yep, plus TypeClouds=X stopped doing anything somewhere around 4.07 AFAIK. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, the setting is still valid. As na85 wrote, all clients use whichever clouds are set by the server, regardless of their PC setting, that is true.

From the poster's original post, the detailed clouds were in place when he launched the server directly, but changed when they had IL2SC host the server. I'm pretty sure the IL2SC program has a conf.ini file similar to the one we have within our 1946 game and if he adds that line it might fix the issue.

Aviar
02-22-2008, 08:57 AM
Sounds to me like SlickStick is correct. Make sure the server is using the New Clouds (TypeClouds=1).

Aviar

RMcSlash
02-22-2008, 10:43 PM
That was it Slick, and others, thanks a bunch.

Good Flying,