PDA

View Full Version : gunnery

flakhappy00169
01-04-2007, 05:42 AM
I have to say I loved this game, it was so much better than other sims but that has all changed recently, I can only hope 1946 gets thing right.

The ability for AI gunners to shoot and hit you is uncanny...even in the dead of night. It just is not historically accurate, one should remeber that a lot of Luftwaffe defensive armament was rifle calibre and drum fed which would mean the gunner only having a short few bursts befor changing drums. Please make this aspect of the sim more accurate. my feeling is that a lot of the problems (and this is not the only one) derive from the 4.04 patch.

BBB_Hyperion
01-04-2007, 06:00 AM
Not only at night but ai can see in clouds as well. Ai as well fires too accurate in high g turns which should lead to all miss scenario.

For general ai i miss that you got it off guard from time to time. Maybe on transfer flights to target they get only awake when you shoot or when radio messages or other indicators show your presence. The Surprise effect is missing entirely. After successfully surprise attack it should take some time for the bomber to get combat ready (arm guns etc, electric system on etc). Then the fear factor the gunners just fire away even when they should run to the exit doors.
Similar to human players who stay just in their craft until it explodes while in irl you would try to bail when the plane is entirely burning. Etc..

For the ability to shoot precise over 4g load of the ai i would claim that is indeed a little bit overdone as the forces to counter and the lead to calculate isn't that easy and normal ww2 pilots wouldn't shoot when under high g load hanging in the belts etc. Just for the reason of jamming and that it is very hard to aim using the gunsight hanging there under high pressure etc.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

-------------------
High Ground is not only more agreeable and salubrious, but more convenient from a military point of view; low ground is not only damp and unhealthy, but also disadvantageous for fighting.

Sun Tzu : The Art of War

Regards,
Hyperion

Marcel_Albert
01-04-2007, 06:45 AM
I agree ,but i also think Oleg thought about it .

IMHO ,the reason he left the AI so "dumb" (AI in veteran/ace is also cheating on speed , gravity and makes impossible evasive manoeuvres with some planes as well as Mach 1 speed dives among other things ) , it's because it would take too much CPU charge to make a more complex and intelligent AI ,and many of the people running the game with an old CPU wouldn't be able to run the game properly .

Well , it's just my supposition .<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

---------------------------------
"Non Nobis Domine , Non Nobis , Sed Nomini Tuo Da Gloriam."
In Memoriam Jacques de Molay .

SeaFireLIV
01-04-2007, 08:05 AM
AI in IL2 bombers are a funny thing. Sometimes their accuracy is unnerving. Attacking from the dead six is a serious no no which I think is quite realistic.

What is somewhat less realistic is hitting them at the gunner`s area and the gunner seems completely unshaken. You`d think all those bullets bouncing around him, even if they don`t hit, would put him off his accuracy. And yes, they manage too good accuracy when the aircraft is manouevering or diving and if you attack from difficult angles, though I`ve learned how to avoid this now.

On the other hand, they do sometimes shoot in random directions. It`s a difficult one to get right, I think.

I did notice in 4.071m Patch that while attacking 18 bombers is difficult, doing so at night seemed easier. In fact I wasn`t hit once! maybe it was a fluke?

To be honest, I don`t really know whether it`s all that unrealistic, so I won`t complain too much on it.

flakhappy00169
01-09-2007, 05:09 AM
I am glad it's not just me. Is the 4.071m patch for servers to play online? Or is it just a game patch?

Many thanks for all the feedback on this. I am just worried that it will go the way of the old microsoft flight sims...whatever plane that damn enemy has it's all ways got the edge! Even when you swop over!-though winning on those old sims was a piece of cake after honing your skills on this game.

Philipscdrw
01-09-2007, 01:10 PM
In BoB, Luthier talks about scrapping 'Novice, Veteran, Ace etc' and giving the AI pilots different characteristics - g-tolerance, observation, firing accuracy etc - if they're moving the AI in that direction, then gunner courage under fire might get looked at too!<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

------------------------------------------------------------
PhilipsCDRw

PF_Tini's Simple Guide to Switching 4.04m, 4.05m, and 4.07m. (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/7351046415)
Flying on Hyperlobby as EAF_T_Dozer

FritzGryphon
01-11-2007, 02:07 AM
I did notice in 4.071m Patch that while attacking 18 bombers is difficult, doing so at night seemed easier.

I do know that the flak is wildly inaccurate at night. Maybe gunners too.

F19_Ob
01-11-2007, 05:12 AM
Well , I have earlier complained about the stupid AI gunners online, who shoots away the precious ammo on empty water, ground and air, leaving the gun empty when it matters most.

I atleast should be as good as the ace gunners, but better in deflection shooting.

Ace gunners with two heavy machine guns in the tail or back are deadly as hell if attacked from the dead rear, and should be, but no AI-gunner can predict lead well.
Therefore most of their their hits are achieved at close range, where no lead is required, or at 6 o'clock where no lead is required.

I'm not sure if the AI is different for online play but often, when even flying straight and steady, the reargunners whait far too long to shoot, and when the enemy gets closer and they start to fire they only can do so for short time.
problem is that my living and 'thinking' attacker started shooting and hitting me already before my gunners even opened fire.

I must choose to either risk collision with my m8's in formation to man the rear gun myself, or risk getting shot down because I have idiot gunners.

The funny thing is that when guys online complain about my uber AI-gunners I usually was the gunner that hit while my AI 'friends' rested or shot at the void. I jokingly say they have been too keen on the booze, but it feels rotten flying for 30+ mins and completing a difficult mission and then get shot down on finals because the gunners forgot to shoot or already have emptied their guns on nothing.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/f19_ob/ob_ver2.jpg