PDA

View Full Version : DANGEROUS WATERS; SUB COMMAND

WAIKEONG
07-11-2005, 09:13 PM
Does anyone have any feedback on the
sub simulations in Dangerous Waters and
Sub Command - gameplay, accuracy and graphics ?

I've noted that Dangerous Water's graphics aren't
particularly good from the screenshots.

Thanks.

FDNYFAN
07-12-2005, 03:04 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/353.gif

Tomus
07-12-2005, 04:57 AM
Dangerous Waters graphics are adequate, but you won't be looking outside too much anyway. You will be looking at sonar readouts, ESM channels, Radar etc etc. Its possibly the most complicated game I have ever played and is very accurately modelled.

IMO its worth dipping into if you have an interest in naval warfare, there is also a demo available at Battlefront so give it a go.

doug.d
07-12-2005, 06:03 AM
I bought SH3 and DW on the same day, apart from loading DW on my HDD, hardly touched it. If ever I manage to break the SH3 addiction, Doom 3 Expansion is next anyway.

UF_Excalibur_D
07-12-2005, 06:14 AM
Sub command is the best "modern" sub game there is. Alot of sub vs sub action no doubt and the graphics are not as good as SH3 but they are good quality for sure. I still play that with people in the UF...hard to find anyone out there with the game. I love it but not as much as SH3.....=)

aaronblood
07-12-2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by UF_Excalibur_D:
Sub command is the best "modern" sub game there is. Alot of sub vs sub action no doubt and the graphics are not as good as SH3 but they are good quality for sure. I still play that with people in the UF...hard to find anyone out there with the game. I love it but not as much as SH3.....=)

Hmmmm... I've got Sub Command, played it like a handful of times. Got tired of dealing with the passive sonar displays. Couldn't find anything. Probably just didn't stick with it long enuf. Should I give it another shot?

Wondered myself how Dangerous Waters compared to Fleet Command. I really liked that one. Never got tired of watching the little planes launch from the carriers, and the missile cruisers were cool. Might I be disappointed with Dangerous Waters?

Jack_Stern
07-12-2005, 03:10 PM
I bought it when it came out and it's still on my computer but.......I never could get passed using "auto crew assistance" on everything. It's just that hard and way too technical (at least for me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif). Graphics were quite good and I always enjoyed watching my missles being shot out of the sky by the enemy. It just lacked being "fun".

Caseck73
07-12-2005, 03:18 PM
I have DW, and I love it. But it has some serious problems that will be addressed in the 1.02 patch.

If you get really fed up with bugs, I'd wait on the 1.02 patch. If you're technically competent and like doing mod stuff, there are lots of fixes for the major problems online, and you can get them.

DW is great especially if you like surface warfare, and like prosecuting contacts with helos and the P-3 is a great touch. It's built around multiplayer, which is a blast. (It's nice to have a game you can go after vaunted "Sub Aces" with a surface ship. "Sub Aces" are never as cool as they think they are. Especially when other living breathing human beings are coming after them. --Which is why I hope SH4 has some kind of surf-platform!)

Definetly get the manual though. The extra $20 bucks is worth it to have that handy for reference. It is a good game that has great potential.

But again, keep an eye on the forums for the 1.02 patch. (Remember SCS does gov't contracts for R/L stuff, so they can be a bit slow, but they're good folk.)

BAT502
07-13-2005, 05:05 PM
Anyone interested in either of these games, go to http://www.seawolves.org/ Its one of the most professionl online communities I`ve ever had the pleasure of having joined. Forget manuals and all that, these guys will teach you everything you need to know and more that the manual will never teach you. Plus it`s more fun trying to kill an online player than doing the easy single player missions.

Maj_Solo
07-13-2005, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by aaronblood:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by UF_Excalibur_D:

Hmmmm... I've got Sub Command, played it like a handful of times. Got tired of dealing with the passive sonar displays. Couldn't find anything. Probably just didn't stick with it long enuf. Should I give it another shot?

Wondered myself how Dangerous Waters compared to Fleet Command. I really liked that one. Never got tired of watching the little planes launch from the carriers, and the missile cruisers were cool. Might I be disappointed with Dangerous Waters? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif missile away track 1143 missile away ... missile away miss/miss/mis oh away trrrr/missile away track 114444444444miiisssile away mayday ship is sinking crrrr missile away track misile away ..... shoot shoot shoot, empty that ticonderoga in about ... what was it , 45 sec to send all the cruise missiles and the harpoons and the concentrate on sending the SAM2s. I only played the ultra large panic missions and my 800MHz I had then could not cope well. still, fun game.

Silky68
07-13-2005, 07:05 PM
I have Sub Command, and 688I, both are great games. Unfortunately, they are nothing like SHIII in that they don't have any kind of dynamic campaign. It's all scripted. Still, for about $10 at Wally's, Sub Command is a must-have game.
Try using the Akula... it has some awesome weapons http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

maxpower2
07-14-2005, 02:47 AM
sub command and 688I are both outstanding games.

in fact, when i was in the navy on a boat 688I was a training tool, it was that close.

sub command is insane. as close to the real thing as you are likely ever to get. learning curve is steep. you almost have to have an intimate knowledge of operatiosn, such as i have, to get anything out of it.

UF_Excalibur_D
07-14-2005, 11:02 AM
With sub command i dont play auto crew at all. I love the challange. It is easier then SH3 when playing realistic...the torps are modern ADCAP's and it is a point and shoot and forget. I also use the voice commands as well in SC. I used to school people in the UF on tactics while playing SC...and as far as 688i, I still have it and would LOVE to play either with anyone on here....I like the moderns better but the WWII era's are growing on me. The game is intense by far (sub command), mission editor porlonged the life for sure....just faded away though.

ajoleary
07-14-2005, 04:49 PM
Although I have played DW and SH3, I've spent most of my time on SH3 because I got it first. DW is a very complex title, that to get the most out of it, you need to spend a considerable period of time learning the operations of many, MANY sensors.

The GFX are nothing to right home about (compared to SH3) but as was pointed out, you spend most of your time focusing on 2D sensor displays anyway, which are very accurate indeed. Therefore, I think the GFX serve the game well.

The real plus for this game, is its attention to detail in the operation systems and mission possibilities. I've spent many hours in real P3s and although not an exact replica (due to individual countries upgrades), it is very close. It really gave me the sense of real ASW warfare.

Use the website listed above for assistance €"it€s a great resource. In short - Great title if you've got the time to learn it properly!