PDA

View Full Version : Navigation Instrumentation and Map

XyZspineZyX
07-29-2003, 05:07 PM
Can someone please explain to me how in the world (in FB, anyway) you could set the repeater compass (as I think it's called) to a waypoint in enemy territory? I'm talking specifically about the one on the He111. It will show me my next waypoint as I cross the current one. How does that thing work? What kind of frequencies can you tune it to get the thing to aim at a waypoint in the middle of nowhere, or the ocean? Also, if I'm flying solo, there is no way to change the current waypoint: the command for that function only works with at least one wingman. The map feature, while useful, really has to go. Sorry, but it seems to be designed by someone who has never had to navigate "seat of the pants". And no, neither have I, before you ask. If a map is going to be available during a mission, it should be a static map, showing waypoints, assigned targets, and any notes that the pilot may want to make on them. Also, why can we not access the flight plan during the briefings to learn important stuff like altitude, speed, etc of each waypoint or at least the target waypoint? Sorry to make this such a long post, but one more question: why can my flight lead and wingmen (when I'm 4th of 4) take off and climb at speeds that my aircraft just can't match? I've tried every kind of pitch, mixture, trim, flaps, etc combination I can think of, but they ALWAYS leave me way behind!

SSgt Tim Schuster
8MXS Inspection Section
Kunsan AB, Korea

-Defend the Dock!
-Accept Follow-on Shifts!
-Take the Fight Upstairs!

Message Edited on 07/30/0301:09AM by Aardvark892

XyZspineZyX
07-29-2003, 05:07 PM
Can someone please explain to me how in the world (in FB, anyway) you could set the repeater compass (as I think it's called) to a waypoint in enemy territory? I'm talking specifically about the one on the He111. It will show me my next waypoint as I cross the current one. How does that thing work? What kind of frequencies can you tune it to get the thing to aim at a waypoint in the middle of nowhere, or the ocean? Also, if I'm flying solo, there is no way to change the current waypoint: the command for that function only works with at least one wingman. The map feature, while useful, really has to go. Sorry, but it seems to be designed by someone who has never had to navigate "seat of the pants". And no, neither have I, before you ask. If a map is going to be available during a mission, it should be a static map, showing waypoints, assigned targets, and any notes that the pilot may want to make on them. Also, why can we not access the flight plan during the briefings to learn important stuff like altitude, speed, etc of each waypoint or at least the target waypoint? Sorry to make this such a long post, but one more question: why can my flight lead and wingmen (when I'm 4th of 4) take off and climb at speeds that my aircraft just can't match? I've tried every kind of pitch, mixture, trim, flaps, etc combination I can think of, but they ALWAYS leave me way behind!

SSgt Tim Schuster
8MXS Inspection Section
Kunsan AB, Korea

-Defend the Dock!
-Accept Follow-on Shifts!
-Take the Fight Upstairs!

Message Edited on 07/30/0301:09AM by Aardvark892