PDA

View Full Version : hire new Air Traffic Controllers!

XyZspineZyX
08-20-2003, 12:11 PM
Suggestions -

Have planes circle. Just circle. Then have the AI traffic controller call them down one at a time. Priority to damaged or low/no fuel planse, if feasible. But not the insane merry go round that it is now.

Normally the endless last second pullup and repeat almost landing procedure is just another routine Kafkaesque end to a mission... but i made the mistake of starting up a new campaign with the open beta.

anybody else notice that the normal AI traffic dude has been replaced by a non-union temp? twice in one night the AI gives me clearance to land, no mention of traffic on the runway. then DEAD as AI guy got his clearance too.
Collision = DeadPilot = 40minute dogfight only an ntrk.

Now first time i didn't mind. i figured it was just me.
Second time... No way, i made sure there was no other plane on the runway before my wheels hit the dirt.

Checked twice to make sure my all-clear was all-clear.
Then WHAMMO! Three quarters down the runway and game over. Insert 1 credit to continue.

Yes, i hear the calls from the peanut gallery.
Try auto-pilot.
Wait til all the AI planes land.
Enable and then switch to External View.
Land in a bloody field.
Hell, don't even bother landing.

You're right.
Flip it.
i don't need no stinking air traffic controllers.
Take-off and landing are just bad habits.

Other than that there is indeed a lot of neat stuff in the open beta. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-20-2003, 12:11 PM
Suggestions -

Have planes circle. Just circle. Then have the AI traffic controller call them down one at a time. Priority to damaged or low/no fuel planse, if feasible. But not the insane merry go round that it is now.

Normally the endless last second pullup and repeat almost landing procedure is just another routine Kafkaesque end to a mission... but i made the mistake of starting up a new campaign with the open beta.

anybody else notice that the normal AI traffic dude has been replaced by a non-union temp? twice in one night the AI gives me clearance to land, no mention of traffic on the runway. then DEAD as AI guy got his clearance too.
Collision = DeadPilot = 40minute dogfight only an ntrk.

Now first time i didn't mind. i figured it was just me.
Second time... No way, i made sure there was no other plane on the runway before my wheels hit the dirt.

Checked twice to make sure my all-clear was all-clear.
Then WHAMMO! Three quarters down the runway and game over. Insert 1 credit to continue.

Yes, i hear the calls from the peanut gallery.
Try auto-pilot.
Wait til all the AI planes land.
Enable and then switch to External View.
Land in a bloody field.
Hell, don't even bother landing.

You're right.
Flip it.
i don't need no stinking air traffic controllers.
Take-off and landing are just bad habits.

Other than that there is indeed a lot of neat stuff in the open beta. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-20-2003, 09:06 PM
As far as I can tell, the ATC just sometimes allows 2 planes to land at the same time. I dunno, maybe he's expecting you to maintain proper separation or somethin'. Anyway, just check the runway yourself before you land.

And remember, the key to being a good pilot is to keep the number of takeoffs and landings equal! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-20-2003, 11:46 PM
I know its a pain, but heres a quick solution. Land last. Or if you really need to put it down because of damage land it on the taxi-way and park in the grass. I have been parked and had them run into me. I always park in the grass now to prevent that. And I usually will land last once all the AI planes have parked.

...and once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,
for there you have been and there you long to return.
~leonardo de vinci

XyZspineZyX
08-21-2003, 01:19 AM
When I'm about two minutes out from RTB, I haulass to land first. It works 99 out of 100 times for me.