PDA

View Full Version : SH3 upgrade answers

add996
02-07-2005, 05:32 PM
Ok.... a lot of people are writing in and asking about their machine compatibilities with SH3, hopefully in this short file I can shed some light in this GREY area.

AT THE END OF THIS POST I WILL POST SOME LINKS WHERE YOU CAN CHEAPLY PURCHASE BUNDLED UPGRADES FOR OLD MACHINES ETC.

******THIS IS WHAT YOU WILL NEED FOR ENJOYABLE GAMEPLAY OF SH3 WITOUT COMPROMISE********

1. P4 HT, "hyper threading" 2.0 GHz MINIUMUM or AMD equivalent
2. Mother board to support chip and ram.. "shown in links further down page"
2. MIN 256 DDR RAM "RECOMEND HALF GIG low latency"

3. GOOD SOUND CARD "CHEAP AND EASY TO FIND"

4. GRAPHICS.... now this is one mother of an important element. If you are going to invest money then this is certainly a priority.... I cannot stress this point more!!!
I personally Recommend the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro.
This card is a workhorse of graphics cards. With 8 mega pixel pipelines and 256 bit it truly is a good G/card, I have yet to find a game that this little baby can€t handle!!!
True there are bigger and faster cards but they come at a dam heavy price!!!!

**** DO NOT BE FOBBED OF WITH CHEAP GRAPHICS CARDS... THEY WILL NOT DELEIVER THE GOODS!!!!

p.s you can pick this up the ATI Radeon 9800 pro for around 130 pounds

GOOD HARD-DRIVE.... IF YOU HAVE THE EXTRA CASH INVEST IN A WESTERN DIGITAL "RAPTOR" DRIVE. DONT BE FOOLED BY THE LOW VOLUME OF THE DRIVE... THESE LITTLE PUPPIES WILL WIPE THE FLOOR WITH STANDARD HARD DRIVES!!! FAST HARD DRIVE MEANS FASTER/SMOOTHER GAMEPLAY!

Links: Mother board, FAST processor and fast Ram:-
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Intel_Socket_478_Bundles.html

Links: Graphics card: Note scroll down until you see this!!! OcUK ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB DDR TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (XR98-C3) (GX-005-OK)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/9700_to_9800_Series.html

Links: Western digital raptor drive: Note scroll down until you see this !!!
Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10,000RPM SATA 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-007-WD)

hope this helps guys

Adam

julien673
02-07-2005, 05:35 PM
First of all, tanks you http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

what is best... the Ati Radeon 9800pro versus the MSI 6600gt ?

I will buys the MSI 6600gt.. is its the best card i can buy for the same price ?

Dominicrigg
02-07-2005, 06:16 PM
Nice post but the 9800 pro 128 meg is going to be out of action soon, i wouldnt reccomend spending money on it. Also you need 512 meg to run the game well, so 256meg has no chance of <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> SH3 WITOUT COMPROMISE <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But nice links for people buying gear, i also reccomend Ebuyer as they are 100% good on deliveries and give good gear (in my experiences)

JG27_Arklight
02-07-2005, 06:20 PM
A hard drive shouldn't effect FPS in a game.

stevenwhiting
02-07-2005, 06:25 PM
Who's this Adam. Unless your a Dev no one can say what it will run like accept the Devs. People must be bored if everyone is still going on about the system specs needed. Go to an online shop to pre order it, they are on there. Simple as that 'nough said.

Poacher886a
02-07-2005, 06:33 PM
I'm a bit concerned about the fact he said a P4 2.00 Hyper threaded,I have a P4 2.4 but its not Hyper threaded!!!
Also does this game mean it is being optimised for ATI card's? i know that HL2 was and GForce owners were losing alot of speed because of this..I have a Vanilla 6800

stevenwhiting
02-07-2005, 06:36 PM
AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH will everyone STOP. Hyper threaded or not, the game will still run and be smooth. Not everyone can afford the latest chips. If they made it so it only ran on high end chips they'd be shooting themselfs in the foot. Ignore all the RUMOURS, relax and just WAIT till the game actually comes out before panicing.

Edit-For F sake. My aging AMD XP 1700 512mb RAM, Geforce 4 ti4200 128mb ran Far Cry smooth, all the settings weren't up high but it still looked good a ran smooth. It runs Rome Total War fine and thats a system hungry game when a large army is on screen. So everyone STOP.

Carlos1123
02-07-2005, 06:45 PM
My graphics card is a Geforce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8X, it has been with me for about 2-3 years and has worked perfectly. However, some of the newer games have given me some problems and I have had to reduce the graphics quality to a very low resolution to get it to where it can be played (hopefully it was a demo that gave me these serious problems)

I was thinking of buying the Geforce 6800 256MB GT OC for $400, but it seems a bit expensive and I wanted to find out if anyone could find a better price because I have looked in a lot of places, but that is the lowest I can find.

Also, my card will still run well with some of the games I play now and I was wondering if it was possible to have my current card along with the 6800 plugged into the motherboard.

hauitsme
02-07-2005, 07:05 PM
NEVER, EVER, believe someone that can't even look up FACTS before posting up suggestions on hardware.

There is no such thing as a 'P4 HT, "hyper threading" 2.0 GHz' processor. The slowest made was 2.4 Ghz. And the processor is only part of it. You still must have the BIOS, chipset, and OS that support it. $$$$$$$

So what else is wrong in the above post? Check it out and become INFORMED and learn something for yourselves!

JG27_Arklight
02-07-2005, 07:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hauitsme:
NEVER, _EVER_, believe someone that can't even look up _FACTS_ before posting up suggestions on hardware.

There is no such thing as a 'P4 HT, "hyper threading" 2.0 GHz' processor. The slowest ever made was 2.4 Ghz.

So what else is wrong in the above post? Check it out and become _INFORMED_ and learn something for yourselves! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol, Haut.

altstiff
02-08-2005, 10:31 AM
Hmmm sounds fishy to me.

A guy posts on here 2 times and is an expert all of a sudden?

Hauitsme is totally correct.