PDA

View Full Version : Translator Woes & Plusses.........

LEBillfish
05-16-2006, 11:26 AM
Hi All;

Unless I'm incorrect, I believe when I first came to these forums it was stated that "the primary language to be used was "English", and if I recall correctly at times those that did not were chastised.......

Personally I don't care for that policy if indeed it is one. The reason being simple. In that we are an "international community" with a similar interest, that clearly this sim. Yet if that is the policy I'd like to dispute it. Not to challenge the administrators, nor to force others to learn other languages then their own, yet in that often "things seem to get lost in the translation".

Unfortunately, it also puts a strain on non-English speakers, yet in the end we all lose in that some either do not post so we lose their possibly valuable input, yet also in that English speakers are often left shaking their heads.....The reason in my opinion clear.

Most translation programs on the net IMLTHO, tend to translate from whatever language into "Weetawd". Ok so what? Well, what we often see is the English translation posted here, which besides often being confusing also casts a dim light on the one posting it seeming as though they are lacking the ability often to respond intelligently which is no doubt "untrue".

Some time ago I was given an excellent piece of advice by I believe a Mr. Ken Glass of j-aircraft.com forums. That being "when posting for help, or commenting on the Japanese language forums, do NOT translate it into Japanese and post it. Simply post it in English (my primary language), and leave it to the reader to sort out". His reason was just as insightful, that being if I posted in Japanese using a translator, you tend to post quite often what is simply gibberish. So, those that wish to take the time to use a translator or read English somewhat may respond, those that don't won't and don't sweat it..........Because in the end, their assumption will not be that "I" mis-spoke, yet any confusion the fault of the translator "they used".

That I found to be some wise advice. Personally, though I think it's great that many make the difficult effort to translate from their language to English to post here, I think I'd more like to see the post if they do not feel confident in English in both languages, or at the very least just their own.

In that way, if they post in both and I'm confused I can check it to see how well their translator may have performed....Or simply use my own......Yet in the end, the translator held lacking, not the poster.

IMLTHO...... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Stackhouse25th
05-16-2006, 11:48 AM
It's ok Billfish

danjama
05-16-2006, 11:51 AM
The only person that post's anything valuable and worth reading is me, and i am English, so i am in favour of the forums current policy.

russ.nl
05-16-2006, 12:08 PM
-
Quote:
"Well, what we often see is the English translation posted here, which besides often being confusing also casts a dim light on the one posting it seeming as though they are lacking the ability often to respond intelligently which is no doubt "untrue"."
-

This says more about the one reading it then writing it.

I'm dislectic so spelling is hard for me, I just figure, "as long as you understand what I or anyone is trying to say it is ok."

justflyin
05-16-2006, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by russ.nl:
I'm dislectic so spelling is hard for me...

Just to help you out a little, it's dyslexic.

As for the original post, is it just me or are BF's ramblings getting less and less coherent?!?! Maybe I'm dyslexic, too.

Megile_
05-16-2006, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by danjama:
The only person that post's anything valuable and worth reading is me, and i am English, so i am in favour of the forums current policy.

Danjama, the apostrophe on "post's" is not required as it neither possessive nor a contraction.
However an apostrophe is required on "forums" to show possession.
ie. the forum's current policy

justflyin
05-16-2006, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Megile_:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danjama:

Danjama, the apostrophe on "post's" is not required as it neither possessive nor a contraction.
ie. the forum's current policy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to mention his blatantly incorrect spelling of "favour". Next thing you know, he'll be writing "organisation" and "colour" instead of "organization" and "color".

Megile_
05-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by justflyin:

Not to mention his blatantly incorrect spelling of "favour". Next thing you know, he'll be writing "organisation" and "colour" instead of "organization" and "color".

I'm from that side of the pond also. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

danjama
05-16-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by justflyin:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Megile_:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by danjama:

ie. the forum's current policy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to mention his blatantly incorrect spelling of "favour". Next thing you know, he'll be writing "organisation" and "colour" instead of "organization" and "color". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do i really need to reply?

Bloody yanks

Megile_
05-16-2006, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by danjama:

Bloody yanks

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

Low_Flyer_MkVb
05-16-2006, 02:43 PM
Don't get me started. Play nice. You have been warned. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

dbillo
05-16-2006, 02:47 PM
...is it just me or are BF's ramblings getting less and less coherent?!?! Maybe I'm dyslexic, too.
Seemed perfectly coherent to me. What part was unclear?

danjama
05-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Megile_:

Bloody yanks

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/crackwhip.gif

justflyin
05-16-2006, 03:15 PM
As I just got out of the loo after needing to blow my hooter, I've been looking left, right and centre to help you guys with your grammar. It's making me a little barmy, but I think I've got it figured out now for you nobby no-mates.

Now, I don't want to be a gooseberry, but since I just learnt that my wife is up the duff as a result of my stray plonker, I thought I'd mention that my English friends should make like a large mouth bass and jump and spit!!!! Jump and spit!!!!

*BRRRAAAAPPPPPP!!!!* Oops, pardon me as this post has gone pear shaped.

DmdSeeker
05-16-2006, 03:38 PM
I couldn't disagree more.

We need a lingua france; a common standard; a method where by if one should doubt; one may consult an authoritative reference.

That standard is English.

Not Japanese; not Swahili and most assuredly not french.

Hvorfor kan I ikke fat det? Hvis vi alle sammen begynder at bruge vores egen dialekt s¥ f¥ vi kun den "babel efekt"; hvori vi larmer meget og siger ingen ting til hinanden.

Long live the Empire!

Megile_
05-16-2006, 04:54 PM
Lo siento, no comprendo!

danjama
05-16-2006, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by DmdSeeker:
We need a lingua france; a common standard; a method where by if one should doubt; one may consult an authoritative reference.

I think you have misused the ";" in your sentence, coma's would be more appropriate.

Look:

We need a lingua france, a common standard and a method where by if one should doubt, one may consult an authoritative reference.

LStarosta
05-16-2006, 06:37 PM
I'm all for using ebonics.

J_Anonymous
05-16-2006, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by LEBillfish:
Some time ago I was given an excellent piece of advice by I believe a Mr. Ken Glass of j-aircraft.com forums. That being "when posting for help, or commenting on the Japanese language forums, do NOT translate it into Japanese and post it. Simply post it in English (my primary language), and leave it to the reader to sort out". :
I think his advice is probably valid. I got curious about those translators, so tested one in http://world.altavista.com/tr. It's entertaining. If I type "This is stupid" or "I believe this is stupid", the translator returns a correct Japanese statement. But if I type "I believe that this is stupid", the translation is not quite right, although native Japanese speakers would easily guess what it means (like, you can easily spot my gramatical errors and understand what I meant to say). If you post something worthy to read in English, they would be delighted to read it with a dictionary. I think the key is, to write it in textbook style English. Informal English is not easy for non-native speakers.

I once came across a Japanese URL in which the organizer says he communicates with Oleg in English, but they don't understand each other very well. According to him, Oleg translates his Russian into English by some software, then the Japanese guy translates Oleg's English into Japanese by his software, and they are.... "Lost in Translation." Watched that funny movie?