PDA

View Full Version : Had IJN figure out how P38 found Yamamoto?

WereSnowleopard
08-26-2005, 10:32 AM
Did IJN figure out how could US knew about Yamamoto's travel? Did they think that P-38 force just on general fighter sweep mission that accident flew into path of Yamamoto's Betty or found out about US's Yamamoto assassination mission and how long they take to figure it out? Thank you for read and reply.

Cheer
Snowleopard

Art-J
08-26-2005, 10:58 AM
I've read that the Americans did a few "dummy" fighter sweeps near Bougainville after april 18th in order to make Japanese believe that Yamamoto interception was a pure luck event during one of the sweeps. I'm not sure if the Japanese got suspicious or not, but they didn't radically change their codes afterwards, so I guess they didn't "figure out", at least most of them.

Cheers - Art

Tater-SW-
08-26-2005, 11:02 AM
Actually, the IJN blamed the IJA codes, knowing that their master race code was unbreakable.

When they evactuated Kiska after we downed Yamamoto, the USN read the code, and sent ships to wipe them out. They never found the force sent to remove the troops (they fired shots at a blip on radar that was likely a rain squall). As a result the japanese got clean away. The GHQ decided that if we had actually broken their code, we would have wiped out that force, and so decided that their code had not been compromised. Sometimes lucks helps, heheh.

tater

Tater-SW-
08-26-2005, 11:03 AM
BTW, I reccomend the book Combined Fleet Decoded by Prados for many details on this stuff.

tater