PDA

View Full Version : gun sights

chair12345
02-17-2006, 03:07 AM
I read in the forms that someone was using a different sight in the mustang..is the use of other sights and option and if so where do u get them and how do u install?

chair12345
02-17-2006, 03:07 AM
I read in the forms that someone was using a different sight in the mustang..is the use of other sights and option and if so where do u get them and how do u install?

FlatSpinMan
02-17-2006, 03:26 AM
They are only available in the late model Mustangs AFAIK so no need or even possibilty to download and install them for other planes. To use it you need to enter "Bombsight" mode, I think. Check out the manual or a readme.

Skycat_2
02-17-2006, 05:11 AM
The P-51D-20NA and the YP-80 have a gyroscopic "Ace Maker" gunsight that features alternate modes besides the default ring and circle reflector site that is used in the P-38s, P-47s, P-51B/C, P-51D-5NT, etc. You may recognize the alternate mode as 'ring of diamonds' from other sims like CFS, CFS-3, WWII Fighters and others. The 'ring of diamonds' mode automatically computes proper lead for deflection shooting once you get a lock on your target; to use it properly you have to adjust the ring for the wingspan of your target and the distance you you want to shoot at it.

All of the gunsight controls including the toggle to activate the lead computing mode have to be set by the user. The controls are the same as the controls for the level bomber bombsights. I personally use "Insert" to toggle the gunsight mode, the right/left arrow keys to change wingspan presets, and forward/back arrow keys to change distance to target.

DaimonSyrius
02-17-2006, 05:35 AM
See my sig for an image of how the K-14 gyroscopic sight appears in the P51D-20NA.

Cheers,
S.

p-11.cAce
02-17-2006, 05:51 AM
A lot of people get the gyro sight confused with the velocity vector sight that is available with the cockpit off. The VV sight has an additional "pipper" that shows the true velocity vector (the actual path of your airplane) at any given point in time. Apparently this was created to assist in carrier landings - if you line up the pipper with the end of the carrier and follow it down you will not blow your landing (assuming you've also got your hook, flaps, and gear down http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ).
In a dogfight with the pit off it is a great angle of attack indicator - the further the pipper moves down the screen from the sight circle the closer you all to a stall. The pipper also aids in maintaining co-ordinated flight as rudder inputs are indicated by the pipper drifting left or right. Put those together and you know that when that pipper slides down the screen and off to one side or the other you are about to spin! The pipper does not, however, really contribute in any way to shooting accuracy - it just shows where your nose is pointed.

DaimonSyrius
02-17-2006, 05:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by p-11.cAce:
A lot of people get the gyro sight confused with the velocity vector sight that is available with the cockpit off.
.../... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely correct, p-11.cAce http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

The K-14 is great IMO, however, a caution must be made that when flying around, and especially when manoeuvering (changing G-force), it takes 1-2 sec to settle down, due to inertial effects, so one needs to allow for that. I use the combination, Fixed+Gyro for this reason, so that while the gyro hasn't completely settle down, I can still aim with the conventional ring.

Cheers,
S.

chair12345
02-18-2006, 05:01 AM
Thanks for the Information.....this will increase my enjoyment of an already fantastic game...................Sam

p-11.cAce
02-18-2006, 08:02 AM
While we are on the subject of gunsights you want to give the Stuvi a try - its available in the D-5 Stuka and the Ju-88. In the regular Stuka you just have a ringsight - which is great once you get your dive accuracy up to par - but the Stuvi is a gyro sight which calculates your altitude & velocity and gives you a "pipper" to direct your dive. I think learning to use the Stuvi is a good introduction to using the level bomb sights as it gets you thinking about what data the sight requires to be accurate. With the Stuvi just dial in the release altitude you desire (say 800M for my typical dive entry altitude of 2000M) and leave the velocity alone for the moment as it is not really needed if you dive at close to 90deg. When you spot your target and push over into the dive you will see a bow-tie shaped pipper start to slide up the sight line. Place that pipper over your target, stabalize, and punch the release when your dive alarm sounds - 90%+ accuracy http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Chuck_Older
02-18-2006, 08:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chair12345:
I read in the forms that someone was using a different sight in the mustang..is the use of other sights and option and if so where do u get them and how do u install? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've written up detailed instructions on the real life use, use in-game, theory, and strong and weak points of the K-14 so many times I can't bear the thought of typing another word about it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Here is a link to the forum search function page which should have most of what I have to say about the K-14 sight

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=search&reqWords=...Type=1&search=Search (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=search&reqWords=K-14+gunsight&exactPhrase=&optWords=&notWords=&f=23110283&subjectOnly=N&afterDate=&beforeDate=&authorName=Chuck_Older&exactAuthor=Y&sortType=0&ptyp_poll=Y&ptyp_album=Y&ptyp_msg=Y&ptyp_count=3&x_display_post_details=1&groupType=1&search=Search)

Some of my posts about it are gone; the website has had a few hiccups since then

I also did a tutorial that ended up on somebody's website...can't recall the URL though

SnapdLikeAMutha
02-18-2006, 11:47 AM
Wierd that none of the British planes seem to have it seeing as it was they who originally created the GGS (and first used it operationally in summer 1941 I believe)