PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Engine - then what?

FinnBird
05-02-2005, 03:07 PM
Hi all!

I'd need a little advice about damaged engines.
When i get hit to engine and it starts smoking a little, I try to reduce the throttle to about 30-40% and open the radiator full.

Any other things to do?

The AI seems to manage those situations quite well, often bringing the plane back home. Does it "cheat" or is there some other tricks to do?

VW-IceFire
05-02-2005, 03:44 PM
Depends alot on the plane and the type of damage sustained.

I tend to keep the throttle higher but if its a CSP type propeller control then I tend to use the prop pitch controls to back the RPMs off quite abit (you have to key bind auto/manual prop pitch and pitch settings).

Open the radiator...I also tend to try and climb a little while the engine is still working.

Mind you, if its a twin then I just shut the damaged engine down and feather the prop.

3.JG51_BigBear
05-02-2005, 04:03 PM
Unless I see a spike in temp I close the rad because of the excessive drag. What you need to do is find the optimal emergency cruise and glide speeds for the planes you fly the most often. Its very easy to find for American and German planes with a google search. Keep the plane at these speeds with as little egnine power as possible. Also keep your flight path as level as possible. Don't climb, just try to make a smooth glide with as little angle of descent as you can manage.

canucksledge
05-02-2005, 04:28 PM
I got hit in the variable pitch gearcase with a stray round, and she instantly over-revved tto off the clock on the tach. Got her down to about 4500 rpm at 150 kts and made it home. Motor siezed just after getting the third wheel down on the runway. She just got slower and smokier as she self destructed. But she got me home!

I *love* the damage modelling in this sim. It's always a sweaty nervous ride home when your motor gets hit, and it's never the same way twice. A lot of effort must have gone into this aspect of the sim, just from the sheer sensible randomness of the damage taken. I know I crank a lot here, but credit where credit is due...

EnGaurde
05-02-2005, 04:32 PM
get the fark out.

ive found in a melee, that smoke trail will act like a big flashing Shoot At Me neon sign, and you'll be lucky to get out of the scrap in one piece.

i guess after youve separated from the pack, then you can get all sexeh with engine preservation techniques.

or mebee its just me.... a smoking wounded Zero is just too tasty a morsel for some to ignore. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Abbuzze
05-03-2005, 02:08 AM
realy depends to the plane, if you fly a spit - don´t care about this!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

FinnBird
05-03-2005, 01:12 PM
OK. Thank you. So I set prop pitch lower (30-50% maybe?), throttle back and try to maintain a most economical shallow descent.

From your answers I understand I can't escape the eventual breakdown, just dealy it, right?

Abbuzze, Spit has a water cooled engine, right? You must be joking... ????

canucksledge
05-03-2005, 04:04 PM
uhh...my experience in sims and real life has been that if a motors smoking...it's never good.

Unless it's one of those east german tribants...

Abbuzze
05-04-2005, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by FinnBird:
Abbuzze, Spit has a water cooled engine, right? You must be joking... ????

Only if you want to abduct a real Spit. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
To be serious, a FB-PF Spit starts to smoke very easy but without any real problems, makes you easier to find for your enemy but no problem to fly a long distance with this smoke and without any real powerlose.
Try to overheat a Spit... than throttle back for a few sec, then fly again with wep and 100% for the next few minutes. The Spit has no radiators it has fridges under the wings, it seems they cool the engine enough even if it´s hit.
Gamelimitation.

FinnBird
05-04-2005, 08:18 AM
Roger. I hadn't noticed that before...