PDA

View Full Version : DUDtastic!

Err0r1982
03-31-2005, 03:09 PM
Well, I've been out and about on several missions and restarted multiple patrols in career mode because of a few crashes. (Which I think I managed to fix by now)

There are a couple things that are bothering me at this point. I set my realism to about 50%, which does NOT include "Dud Torpedoes". Yet somehow 8 of 10 torps I fire end up going "doink" and bounce off. At first I thought I was just at a really bad angle for impact detonation. But still, even torps fired between 80-100 degrees onto a targets hull still bounce off very excessively.

It doesn't seem to matter what the torpedoe's Pistol is set to. Impact, or Magnectic. 8/10 are duds. Type I's and Type II's. So even with Dud torpedoes off, is it still supposed to be this bad? :P

The only other thing I can think of is because I start in 1939 with early torpedoes. But it's really annoying. I'll waste 10 torps on a single target. heh. Disheartening.

The other thing I have a problem with is the "perfect" weather needed to use the deck gun. That's a bit outrageous I think. Clear skys, 0 percipitation, but light fog is a no go. But yet, even Clear, 0, and no fog and my watch officer still tells me it's a storm outside! Oh noes!!!!11 8 knots of wind is too much to shoot a canon. Argh.

Anyone have any suggestions or the same experience?

Bob_Gilroy
03-31-2005, 03:12 PM
If the range to the target is under 300M when you fire the torp, they will not detonate.

Mashiki_a
03-31-2005, 03:18 PM
Don't forget the angle of the hull itself and it's curvature. If you hit it wrong it will bounce.

I had my first experience last night where my torp bounced off the screws of a C3 cargo ship 3 or 4 times before the ship hit a large wave and it slipped under and allowed the magnetic trigger to go off.

Church_PF
03-31-2005, 03:20 PM
I am sure that Prine felt the same way when in the Norwegian campaign, sitting in U-47 he had 4 ships, all lined up with a slight overlap at roughly 1000 meters with a speed of 0. A total of roughly 150,000 tons, and the kill that would out do his work at Scapa. He fired 2 complete salvos (8 fish total). Not one hit. It was the message that he sent to BdU after that engagement that basically caused Donitz to have a melt down and go ape on those that kept saying that the torpedo issue was partially "crew error". I believe that is was common before that campaign that most boats had in excess of 60% torpedo failure rate.

You did not specify the range or the angle on the bow that you are using. Ideal is 90 degree aob and no closer than 300 meters.

As for the deck gun not being man able...the cut off is 5 or 6 foots waves in order to man the gun. Having been on the bow of a '32 footer deep in Lake Superior with 5 foot swells, I can understand why it's hard to man a gun in such a limited space. I think they need to reword the message, so it does not say storm, but rather sea state.

horrido1962_
03-31-2005, 04:48 PM
You think thats bad? I've got DUD torps turned ON and never get a dud. Go figure.

KiwiVenge
03-31-2005, 05:04 PM
Like those that already stated, I think most "dud' torps are hitting at an angle that allows them to bounce off.
Another thing I have experienced is if you don't get the depth right they can just skim off the bottom of the hull and not get the desired 'explode just under the hull' thing happening.

Err0r1982
04-01-2005, 02:24 AM
Thanks Bob_gilroy. I knew I read somewhere torps have a minimum range they need to travel to arm themselves. I don't remember exactly, but I know I was under 500m from a target before all this. Bumping up the range to no less than 700 improved my detonation ratio greatly.

Now lady luck is smiling at me. Came across TWO "large convoys" in quick succession. Knocked out most of the first one with all my torps, but the second was the best. Psidon wasn't ticked off like he usually was and kept the ocean calm enough for me to rape the second convoy with nothing but the deck gun since I was out of torps. :X

(22 ships adding up to 93,000 tons in 1 patrol! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif)

Horvald
04-01-2005, 06:37 AM
I have a similar problem, I recently had to start a new career due to some problems http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif. long story short I never had a lot of problems with dud torps before.with my new career(in a IX)it seems 80%of my torps are duds. the strange thing is that they are going half way to the target and blowing up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif. I have duds on and the ranges are 500-1500. sorry was to frustrated to use search for this topic.

archive84
04-01-2005, 07:21 AM
@horvald
i'm not sure, but i think your torps are more likely to detonate too early, when the waves are high AND your torps are set to magnetic. the manual also says something about differences according to the regions were they are used ( http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif *not sure why this could make a difference*)

quillan
04-01-2005, 07:28 AM
Proximity to the North MAGNETIC Pole, mainly.