PDA

View Full Version : Heroes 6 : relationships w/ other fantasy TBS games

Ro.Floro
05-13-2011, 02:42 PM
Does any of you think that Disciples 3 Renaissance stood a chance against Heroes 5 ? I played a little, but I really disliked the game.

I for one think that Heroes 5 doesn't have any better competitor in the gaming industry (in the fantasy-strategy TBS genre), except perhaps for Heroes 3.

(Which I don't like so much. I mean I've played it, but it's not that good. That's my opinion and mine alone.)

Nxss
05-13-2011, 03:47 PM
I tried to like D3, but it just wasn't going to happen. There is no TBS game out now that holds a candle to the Heroes series. Just got finished with a four hour game of H5 and might play for another few hours later. Heroes is just one of those games that has nailed down the genre. Some may try to copy it, however, I don't see it happening anytime soon. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Infiltrator-SF
05-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Once upon a time there was a great game called Disciples 2. Then came Disciples 3 and ****ed it all up. The end.

cossacking
05-13-2011, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Infiltrator-SF:
Once upon a time there was a great game called Disciples 2. Then came Disciples 3 and ****ed it all up. The end.

True; even though I liked Heroes more that D2, but it was a decent tbs. D3... It's a veeeeery 'alternative' tbs/rpg combo. It would take long to familiarize and even longer to 'like'.

Ro.Floro
05-14-2011, 03:09 AM
I haven't played D2...maybe I tried...dunno for sure...but really...Disciples can't compete with Heroes 5...because that's what we're talking about... Disciples 3 competing with H5 for the supremacy of TBS games...both games have great graphics(a little more for disciples...but it's not an advantage)...
And alsothere is King's Bounty. I played this game for a little time...but, for me, it doesn't add up...I mean the story + that horrible gameplay...I hate it...
H5 was WAAAAY different...I can say I grew up with H5...I was 14 when it came out on the market...and I fell in love, so to speak with those beautiful characters, creatures, castles...what can I say....the game is GREAT!!!
I hope H6 will live up to his ancestors http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

cossacking
05-15-2011, 04:05 AM
King's bounty shares the theme with H5 (and H6 from what we can see, hopefully less). However, KB only has combat as TBS. Movement is free, you can run from mobs chasing you and pick up the resources; all units are random, so no real strategy to employ during exploring, etc. I liked KB, but it doesn't feel right comparing it with Heroes series.
D3 has a different theme. But then, I should go play some more and then present my opinion. I never liked h5, so I will not comment on it.

Ro.Floro
05-15-2011, 05:43 AM
KB is as bad as it gets. And D3 can't even compete with any kind of heroes...not even an unfinished one...it can't even compete with an unexisting one :P
They're just bad copies of the Real deal.

cossacking
05-15-2011, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Ro.Floro:
KB is as bad as it gets. And D3 can't even compete with any kind of heroes...not even an unfinished one...it can't even compete with an unexisting one :P
They're just bad copies of the Real deal.

According to your logic, Heroes series started as a copy of KB (it wasn't bad).

According to my logic, Heroes is a different game, which focuses on different (vastly different nowadays) gameplay. The modern KB sequels confirm that.
And concerning D3, it's an alternative TBS game. It has similarities [to Heroes], yet the underlying mechanics are cardinally different. That's why it's hard to imagine how they can be reasonably compared. So yes, I have to agree with you on this one.

Ro.Floro
05-15-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by cossacking:

According to your logic, Heroes series started as a copy of KB (it wasn't bad).

I NEVER said that!!!

GamerGeek87
05-15-2011, 01:20 PM
The original kings bounty was released by new world computing 5 years before the first heroes game, so heroes is the copy in a sense. It is much better though.

znork
05-15-2011, 01:32 PM
Why is this so hard for oss? they are games based around the same concept i for one like heros best.

H5forem
05-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Infiltrator-SF:
Is just like "Once upon a time there was a great game called Heroes 3. Then came Heroes 4 and ****ed it all up."

Both games tried to reinvent the wheel, and failed.

belgarath21
05-18-2011, 01:15 PM
I think Stardock (the creator of the impressive galactic civilizations series) had a real chance to compete against HOMM when they created elemental: war of magic. However, they failed badly and it will take them some time still to recover. (I base this statement on the reviews and the apology from the game's designer).

Regardless, the world is hardly "a one TBS town". There also aren't many TBS's competing (sadly).

Sorceresss
08-21-2011, 01:52 PM
I am resurrecting this potentially very interesting thread, which had received no reply since 18 May. Its original title concerned the Disciples 3 game, a commercial failure of a year ago. The thread had then deviated to other titles belonging to the Fantasy TBS genre.
I thought that since the Beta & the Demo have been released there might be an interest to revive this comparative critical discussion, where some eminent veterans of the Forum had already posted.

nanogasm
08-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Disciples III gets better with each expansion. It launched in a terrible state though (kinda like Elemental). The good news is, it is extremely moddable and there are some amazing mods out which changes balance, mechanics, etc.. Resurrection, which adds the Undead, comes out soon outside of Russia. I've been playing it for some time and it adds some good stuff. Rebirth, the next expac which adds the Mountain clans, comes out next year in Russia. Should be soon for everyone else thereafter. I find I play D3 Resurrection more than HoMM VI beta. Albeit a very modded version, but it is much more fun, and the ambience and immersion blows HoMM out of the water.

Some other TBS games I've really enjoyed, though these are more of grand strategy genre as opposed to tactical battle games like D3 and HoMM VI, are Age of Wonders Shadow Magic, Dominions, Master of Magic, Galactic Civ II.

Sorceresss
08-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Thank you very much for the positive update on Disciples III.
If you ever obtain links to D3 mods, in English, please come back here to post them.

nanogasm
08-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Sure, here is a link to a site that contains a ton of info.

http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38

belgarath21
08-22-2011, 11:42 AM
I have never played Disciples 3, so I can't comment on that. I did play Disciples II and KB: Armored Princess for a short time and wasn't impressed. I think the Heroes series is the best of the still existing fantasy TBS franchises.

I also suspect that Stardock's Elemental will be unable to effectively compete with the Heroes series. They seem to have a really difficult time going forward from the poor original release last year. They also are splitting scarce resources between updating the original game and working on the "Fallen Enchantress" game. "Fallen Enchantress" is looking more like War of Magic II and less like a "stand-alone" expansion with every announcement.

Sigh... I wish they would get started on a Galactic Civilizations III.

Vicheron
08-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by H5forem:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Infiltrator-SF:
Is just like "Once upon a time there was a great game called Heroes 3. Then came Heroes 4 and ****ed it all up."

Both games tried to reinvent the wheel, and failed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

NWC never really got the chance to finish Heroes 4. 3DO was going bankrupt, they shifted developers working on Heroes 4 to other games, like those stupid Army Men games. They pushed the released date up by several months. Then they laid off most of the development staff just two weeks after the game was released.

Disciples 3 also had a lot of problems during development. The game was in development for 4 or 5 years. The first bits of info about the game came out in 2005. The first trailer came out in 2006. Then no news at all for 3 years. The sad thing is that the game looked really promising based on the videos they released in 2005 and 2006. The graphics were really good, they're still pretty good by today's standards. The art design is certainly very impressive and very intricate for many of the creatures.

bloodraven43
09-13-2011, 09:36 AM
theres alot of tbs games out there.if graphics dont bother you, etherlords 2 is a really fun game but i agree d3 sucks bigtime and d2 was awesome.

btw kings bounty armored princess was a great game...the whole game and exps were 20 bucks in walmart.really fun game and it compares with a heroes of might and magic game sort of,if your looking for a good tbs game kind of like homm.the graphics are nice in this game