PDA

View Full Version : Need help taking off in the He-111

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 06:39 PM
Can someone tell me how to counter the engine torque on the He-111, I've tried everything from lowering the RPM's of the left engine to locking the tailwheel & nothing seems to help, Even full rudder does'nt help, The plane just jerks to the left & i can't bring it back & i end up crashing, Maybe i'm doing something wrong, I wish Stewarts HE-111 Guide was still available.

"An attack against a unit of Flying Fortresses was something like controlled suicide...Sometimes 50, Sometimes 80 machine guns were firing at you... You attempted to close your eyes & continue to fire, Frightened to death, Frightened to death."

Oberst Johannes Steinhoff (176 kills)

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 06:39 PM
Can someone tell me how to counter the engine torque on the He-111, I've tried everything from lowering the RPM's of the left engine to locking the tailwheel & nothing seems to help, Even full rudder does'nt help, The plane just jerks to the left & i can't bring it back & i end up crashing, Maybe i'm doing something wrong, I wish Stewarts HE-111 Guide was still available.

"An attack against a unit of Flying Fortresses was something like controlled suicide...Sometimes 50, Sometimes 80 machine guns were firing at you... You attempted to close your eyes & continue to fire, Frightened to death, Frightened to death."

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 06:49 PM
Check that both engines are running with same power and rpm before and during take-off.

He-111 has very little torque in take-off so you may have used throttles asymmetrically.

-jippo

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 08:57 PM
If the plane yaws to the left uncontrollably, I think what you need to do is have the right engine running at lower RPMs than the left, not the other way around.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 09:19 PM
not really had this problem :\
i know fuel mix at 120% helps tho /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 09:40 PM
AirBot wrote:
- If the plane yaws to the left uncontrollably, I
- think what you need to do is have the right engine
- running at lower RPMs than the left, not the other
- way around.
-

Pretty sure the Training Track said to lower the RPMs of the Left engine

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 09:40 PM
To start the engines I do the following:

1) Deselect both engines.
2) Set throttle to 0%
3) Select engine 1
4) Start engine 1
5) Deselect both engines
6) Select engine 2
7) Start engine 2
8) Select both engines
9) Deploy flaps
10) Advance throttle for both engines to max
11) Use rudder to correct minor turns (z and x keys)

Of course there are mionor variations to this, but I find this works very well for me. To use this procedure you need to have SELECT ENGINE #1, SELECT ENGINE #2, DESELECT BOTH ENGINES and SELECT BOTH ENGINES.

The plane should go down the runway very straight unless you are taking off in a storm and have a strong crosswind.

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 10:16 PM
Zeus-cat wrote:
- To start the engines I do the following:
-
- 1) Deselect both engines.
- 2) Set throttle to 0%
- 3) Select engine 1
- 4) Start engine 1
- 5) Deselect both engines
- 6) Select engine 2
- 7) Start engine 2
- 8) Select both engines
- 9) Deploy flaps
- 10) Advance throttle for both engines to max
- 11) Use rudder to correct minor turns (z and x keys)
-
- Of course there are mionor variations to this, but I
- find this works very well for me. To use this
- procedure you need to have SELECT ENGINE #1, SELECT
- ENGINE #2, DESELECT BOTH ENGINES and SELECT BOTH
- ENGINES.
-
- The plane should go down the runway very straight
- unless you are taking off in a storm and have a
- strong crosswind.
-
-

The deselect step is unnecessary if you use the toggle select engine key. Just select #1 and start, select #2 and start, then select all and advance throttle.

--AKD

http://www.flyingpug.com/pugline2.jpg

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 10:42 PM
Select engine one, then select engine two.

But, since they where not started at the same time they will be running at a differant rpm. You need to use the Select all engine key and you will have to map it. When you select all engine's after they are running then bring the throttle down all the way untill bough engines are running at the same rpm.

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 11:52 PM
My start up procedure is

1) Throttle back to 0%
2) Select Engine 1
3) Start Engine 1
4) Select Engine 2
5) Start Engine 2
6) Select Both Engines
7) Lower Flaps
8) Lock Tailwheel
9) Throttle To Max.

The pulling to the left does'nt happen right away, It takes about 5-10 seconds then it pulls strongly to the left.

XyZspineZyX
10-11-2003, 11:58 PM
hm got a feelin i remmber something like this
u gotta make sure the engines back down on power (0% throttle)
they dont always

XyZspineZyX
10-12-2003, 12:13 AM
The following is directly from the FB He-111 intro Track

03:00 Take-off can be tricky because both engines rotate in the same direction. That creates a strong pull to the left.
03:10 Counter this with rudder. You may also choose to use less power on your left engine when you don't have a heavy bomb load.

XyZspineZyX
10-12-2003, 02:17 AM
Well, I read your post, and this will probably be a repeat of a few already posted. But, Make sure both engines are running, (then select both engines), and throttle up. I have not had this problem. The 111 will take off very good at full throttle as long as both engines are selected when throttling up. If both engines are not selected, then only one will rev up causing it to pull to one side. Make sure you assign a key to select both engines. Once you do this you can start them both at the same time, and the throttle will work them both together. The only time you would need to select right or left, is if you feather a prop, or need to shut one down because of damage. Good luck.

XyZspineZyX
10-14-2003, 01:29 AM
Ive never had that problem...just make sure you "select all engines" prior to throttling up. I never lock the tail wheel either, never a need for me,the rudder steers the plane for takeoff just fine.

I do select one engine or the other for taxiing though, to make sharp turns on the tarmac ( just make sure you "select all" again when your ready to take off) in my experience the engine that was slower catches up quite quickly. Of course i will select an individual engine to feather the prob when i get an engine shot out

It kinda sounds like you have some nasty crosswinds going there.

<center>http://www.bloggerheads.com/mash_quiz/images/mash_hawkeye.jpg (http://www.bloggerheads.com/mash_quiz/)</center>

XyZspineZyX
10-14-2003, 02:05 AM
LEDER wrote:
- Ive never had that problem...just make sure you
- "select all engines" prior to throttling up. I never
- lock the tail wheel either, never a need for me,the
- rudder steers the plane for takeoff just fine.
-
- I do select one engine or the other for taxiing
- though, to make sharp turns on the tarmac ( just
- make sure you "select all" again when your ready to
- take off) in my experience the engine that was
- slower catches up quite quickly. Of course i will
- select an individual engine to feather the prob when
- i get an engine shot out
-
-
- It kinda sounds like you have some nasty crosswinds
- going there.
-

Crosswinds is exactly the problem, I transfered my old campaign stats to a new campaign without Wind & Turbulence & takeoffs are much easier, Once the crosswinds hit the aircraft no amount of rudder can help.

XyZspineZyX
10-14-2003, 02:19 AM
its crosswinds.... I've had times when I had the right engine off, full right rudder and wheel brakes and the wings on a steep angle with the wing tip dragging but the plane is still pushed more across than it goes forwards,

and in such case, there is nothing you can do but try leaving flaps up untill the last second when you hit 130 km/h. and also pull up fairly hard as once your up, its not a problem.

FuryFighter