PDA

View Full Version : Tactics of german bombers against british fighters

Deedsundone
09-01-2007, 07:42 AM
Reading a book about gunners in bombers.Haven´t come so far yet but it really look good.Glancing throu it first I saw this about german bombers tactics against fighters froma british report during 1939-1940

#IV:Simulating damage by emitting smoke from an apparatus fitted either in the tail or behind the engine nacelles.

Never heard that before http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Rammjaeger
09-01-2007, 08:30 AM
Doesn't sound like a good idea. A bomber that looks damaged will obviously be attacked by fighters since it is slower and looks like an easy kill.

Waldo.Pepper
09-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Fresh combat reports are often enough filled with such thinks like that. There must be dozen of instances where the RAF shot down He-100 during bob. I think it sounds like nonsense, but who knows could have been tried. Much of what was done was made up as they went along.

Dagnabit
09-01-2007, 02:45 PM
And on the other hand a pilot seeing alot of smoke trailing from a bomber might be more tempted to go after a more 'healthy' looking plane, knowing that it is fully capable of delivering its bomb load and then makeing it back to its own lines. And if the plan is to decoy fighters away from the bomber boxes, then more bombers would get through. If I were the fighter pilot I think I would tend to stick with the bombers that were still 100% capable.
With the exception being an easy kill that I didnt have to change direction, or lose any altitude for.
Dag

JimmyBlonde
09-02-2007, 05:53 AM
Bomber Vs Fighter tactics

Close formation for maximum crossfire of defensive gun positions.

Changes of course to put off aim.

High altitude flying.

These are the only anti fighter tactics I am aware of bombers using except for the YB-40<??? Gunship unsuccessfully trialled by the USAAF.

general_kalle
09-02-2007, 06:22 AM
Figher against bomber taktik.

1. Find hanglands Hanger.
2. grap a good stable plane that can carry bombs. the more the better.

3. get above the bombers
4. drop your bombs on their wings and get the hell outta there.

contakt hanglands or find his Website for more info http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

hope you dont mind hanglands.