PDA

View Full Version : German voices driving me nuts!

Freiwillige
06-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Has anybody created\found a better voice pack for the Germans?

I am getting tired of the screaming. The Luftwaffe was just as professional as any other air force, no reason to have them screaming like cowards anytime somebody gets behind them.

Now to have voice overs like this would be awe inspiring!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...ZAJo&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt-7hwMZAJo&feature=related)

Mr_Zooly
06-15-2009, 03:32 PM
being professional was fine and dandy while formation flying or having the upper hand but how would you react if an enemy was on your six firing? I know for a fact that all sense would go out of the window for me and I would be screaming like a little girl.

R_Target
06-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Yeah, they made the Germans sound like a bunch of shrieking pansies. Drives me nuts too. All the American AI sound stoned.

Flight_boy1990
06-15-2009, 03:44 PM
See,if you're in a P-51 or P-38,and have a 109 or 190 behind you,armed with 30mm pods...You'll scream like hell be sure.
But if you're in a FW-190,you have nothing to worry about.It was built like a tank.
Most of the FW-190 pilots that were shotdown,servived.

Leady-450
06-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Do yourself a favor and copy one of the english voice packs over into the german voice folder. That way you can do away with the stupid writing that pops up and not have to listen to them screem.

I figure that if I was a german pilot I would understand what my wingmen are saying so having to read the text at the top of the screen is a bit of an imersion killer for me.

I'd like someone to do accent packs so I hear the Soviet pilots speeking english with russian accents etc.

Cheers

Leady

slipBall
06-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Just be happy that it's not Klingon http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

jamesblonde1979
06-15-2009, 03:53 PM
They are really loud, the Finns are just as bad offline. I usually have to turn the voice level right down for those sides.

Ba5tard5word
06-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Yeah the Japanese ones are kind of annoying too.

You can turn off voices if you want, or turn them down to lower their obnoxiousness level.

WTE_Galway
06-15-2009, 05:27 PM
Of course the RAF were trained to be impeccably calm under combat. A typical RAF radio call would be ...

"Oh, I say old chaps, this Bosch blighter has shot off my tail fin and whilst one shouldn't complain by Jove it is getting rather annoying.
If one of you fellows could deal with him that would be just spiffing ...
Not to worry, Tally Ho .. Trade at twelve o'clock !!! "

BillSwagger
06-15-2009, 05:59 PM
Maybe it is an inherent part of the language.

There are some languages, to the English ear, that sound like people are yelling at each other or they are being curt , but they are having a normal conversation.

Waldo.Pepper
06-15-2009, 06:30 PM
More phlegm is needed.

Ba5tard5word
06-15-2009, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by BillSwagger:
Maybe it is an inherent part of the language.

There are some languages, to the English ear, that sound like people are yelling at each other or they are being curt , but they are having a normal conversation.

I dunno, I think "YEAAAARRRRGGggghhhhh *BOOM*" is a pretty universal expression.

But yeah the average polite conversation in Italian can sound like two mortal enemies shouting at each other.

Stiletto-
06-15-2009, 06:52 PM
You know, I extracted the Janes WWII Fighters sounds and used some of the explosions and hit sounds over the sound mod.. Also dabbed with the FW 190 sound from that game. I also noticed and remembered how simply great the voice acting was in in that sim, you had the option for the germans to be speaking german or english with your stereotypical hollywood german accents, and both sounded great. I think they were actually people on the design team and not necessarily voice actors which makes them even more impressive.

I don't really dislike the IL-2 german sounds, I think they sound like they are in real combat and alive, as opposed to some of the more wooden acting some of the other countries have but I think using the Janes WWII german sounds would work really well in IL2.

Wildnoob
06-15-2009, 07:14 PM
just a comment, I not gonna express anything about this subject in terms of critizen or anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E3BqKS1frQ

this is HUD footage from the Turkish air force (yeah, the edition was like a propaganda but footage is real) in "dogfigths" with the greek air force probably over the Aegen sea. a couple years ago things had go really hot there, I don't want put the Turks as bad guys, but if I'm not wrong Turkish aircraft where invading the Greek airspace and those interceptions occur that in most times turn in dogfigths, as provocations logic.

maybe is useless post this, and I don't know anything they where talking (apart from "FOX 2! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif) , but are radio conversation from a dogfigth, not a real one close to it, those pilot's probably where more worry in have a Greek/Turkisk figther targeting them in such situation then in a training exercise. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

may I have joke, but in 1996 a HAF Mirage 2000 collied in the air with a TAF F-16 and the Greek pilot died if I'm not wrong. other case in one of those engaments a figther crashed in the Aegen sea. I don't remember from witch of the nation it was, but the other pilot that was pursuting him, I think may had black out in a high G turn and crash. the other pilot (his "oponent") reply: "oh... he crash!". I will find the video in Youtube, he was really shocked by wat had happen. of course that nearly all figther pilot's don't want kill even their real enemies, as the aerial warfare with sure is brutal, but may in some cases not be so much and pilot's take the oportunity to try let it more human let's say.

Treetop64
06-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by R_Target:
All the American AI sound stoned.

That's because we are stoned. Hellooo...! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/partyhat.gif

Seriously, though: No one is arguing that there shouldn't be a sense of urgency in some of the radio calls, but the German voice pack is arguably a bit over the top. That, and the one Japanese death cry. You know the one... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

The German voices have earned a particular reputation over the years within the community for a reason. Someone in the community even coined the phrase "Hysterical Hans and the Fat Controller". Apt description, I'd say. There has been at least one attempt to ammend the voices, but it was done by an American speaking German - with an American accent - and though the effort was greatly appreciated the results are said to be less than ideal.

Whatever anyone's opinion on the matter, I believe there is universal agreement within the community that an improved German voice pack is in order, and long, long overdue.

BillSwagger
06-15-2009, 07:48 PM
weren't pilots often "hopped up" on something to make them more aware during long flights, or in cases where they were short handed and would need to fly back to back sorties for 36 hours. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Someone who speaks fluent German could just step forward and dub them. if they wouldn't mind.

Freiwillige
06-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Germany, The United States and England all had their pill solution for fatigue. In Germany it was called Pervoten and it was an amphetamine. The U.S. called it something else and England something else but it was all pretty much the same. U.S. pilots are still issued Stimulant pills known as "Go-Pills" and that is probably Amphetamine based as well. But from my understanding most pilots did not use it as it was not needed for your typical short hops and engagements,FIght all day sleep all night. But the infantry and the bomber pilots were notorious addicts to Stimulants and understandably so.

jamesblonde1979
06-16-2009, 12:04 AM
Benzedrine was pretty big in those days also.

Kettenhunde
06-16-2009, 01:24 AM
"Go-Pills"

Ritalin is used today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylphenidate

Feathered_IV
06-16-2009, 07:28 AM
Months and years of military training and instruction in the use of communications at a professional level would mean that these people would most certainly NOT be squealing like hysterical schoolgirls. Absurd. Imagine how hard your commanders and comrades would come down on you if you acted like that and survived.

There was a real-live recording linked here some time back. A recording of a Bomber Command crew in real action at night over Germany. What was remarkable in it was the way they forced their voices to remain as detached as possible throughout the entire action. They were being extremely careful not to show their own fear or excitement in their intercom messages. They reported on nearby flak and searchlights as if commenting on the view from a train. When a Ju-88 buzzed them on the run out from the target, you could sense the stress they were going through, but at no time were they screaming and carrying on like flight sim enthusiasts playing silly war games.

Not much has changed since world war two either. You've all heard Gulf War radio communications from people in real combat. Times were when you couldn't turn on your TV without hearing it. Modern military pilots don't behave like Hollywood princesses either.
It just isn't done.

SeaFireLIV
06-16-2009, 08:31 AM
If you were hit and going down in flames you would scream - and mightily, unless you wanted to die and didn`t mind. I even have a sneaky suspicion that even a person unafraid would scream at the point of death just to soften the blow... At that point, everybody forgets about how they sound to others.

That said there have been times when there is no scream. this could be down to various reasons. The pilot simply cannot believe he`s about to die or he`s struggling to survive (regain control, bail out) and not giving up until he actually impacts. there are many other reasons why a pilot might not be heard screaming.

But most scream.

One of the screams the german pilot makes in IL2 is when he`s shot and going down to death. To me it sounds extremely realistic.

Flight_boy1990
06-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Wildnoob:
other case in one of those engaments a figther crashed in the Aegen sea. I don't remember from witch of the nation it was, but the other pilot that was pursuting him, I think may had black out in a high G turn and crash. the other pilot (his "oponent") reply: "oh... he crash!".

That one was a Greek Mirage 2000 too.
BTW to the video you posted you can see that the greek Mirage is fighting with 2 drop tanks still attached...Silly.

Wildnoob
06-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Flight_boy1990:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wildnoob:
other case in one of those engaments a figther crashed in the Aegen sea. I don't remember from witch of the nation it was, but the other pilot that was pursuting him, I think may had black out in a high G turn and crash. the other pilot (his "oponent") reply: "oh... he crash!".

That one was a Greek Mirage 2000 too.
BTW to the video you posted you can see that the greek Mirage is fighting with 2 drop tanks still attached...Silly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh, thanks for the informations FB! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

by the way, this is footage from HAF F-16 engaging a TAF F-16 in one of those interceptions with english subtitles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEp6wJmrTV8

Ba5tard5word
06-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Yes people will scream but I think the issue is that the German voices are so shrill and screamy when being shot down, while pretty much any of the other voices aren't.

What I always find funny is when a wingman says "I'm hit! I'm hit!" just after they pancake into the side of a mountain because of bad AI piloting, or say "I'm going down" after exploding in flames.

SeaFireLIV
06-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
Yes people will scream but I think the issue is that the German voices are so shrill and screamy when being shot down, while pretty much any of the other voices aren't.

I don`t think so. In my time in flying this Sim I`ve noticed that every single nation has a `screamer` when he gets shot down. Really. Even the japanese have a good long screamer recruit!

BillSwagger
06-16-2009, 07:38 PM
also screaming/ shouting is often a common reflex to panic and/or extreme pain.

Only have I seen pictures of Hindus burning alive while in quiet meditation.

Though, scientifically speaking, some say a severe burn isn't as painful as a less severe burn because the nerve endings are killed before they can send any signal to the brain that you are on fire.

Still, if i looked down to see that my lap was on fire, i would be shouting and squirming whether i felt pain or not. The game would seize to be PG....

Freiwillige
06-16-2009, 07:43 PM
How were communications used in German aircraft during WWII? I do not believe that they had the ability to transmit unless they were hitting a switch, In which case it seems silly to hold down a switch just so everybody can hear your death scream!

Ba5tard5word
06-16-2009, 08:16 PM
If I were going down in flames, I would let all my wingmen know about how I felt about their failure to cover me all the way to the end.

iL2fan
06-17-2009, 12:32 PM
I agree with Ba5stard5word, If I was being shot at by a spitfire I would scream and panic and tell my wingmen how they did not see the spit coming on my 6

Doolittle81
06-17-2009, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Feathered_IV:
Months and years of military training and instruction in the use of communications at a professional level would mean that these people would most certainly NOT be squealing like hysterical schoolgirls. Absurd...
...Not much has changed since world war two either. You've all heard Gulf War radio communications from people in real combat. Times were when you couldn't turn on your TV without hearing it. Modern military pilots don't behave like Hollywood princesses either.
It just isn't done.

You have it right. This subject comes up often on the Flight Sim forums. Below is one post I made with links to "real" radio comms and a transcript of same so it is easier to follow along. It speaks for itself.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...141055286#6141055286 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/65710358/m/6141055286?r=6141055286#6141055286)

Insuber
06-20-2009, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:

But yeah the average polite conversation in Italian can sound like two mortal enemies shouting at each other.

Errr ... maybe you intended "in Klingonian", didn't you ?

Ins