PDA

View Full Version : An exellent book! Must read.

crazyivan1970
03-31-2006, 11:53 AM
From http://www.battlefront.com/products/cmbb/biblio.html

In Deadly Combat: A German Soldier's Memoir of the Eastern Front by By: Gottlob Herbert Biderman, Derek S. Zumbro (Translator) Dennis Showalter (Introduction)

In the hell that was World War II, the Eastern Front was its heart of fire and ice. Gottlob Bidermann served in that lethal theater from 1941 to 1945, and his memoir of those years vividly recaptures his grueling experiences with an army marching on the road to ruin.

A riveting and reflective account by one of the millions of anonymous soldiers who fought and died in that cruel terrain, In Deadly Combat conveys the brutality and horrors of the Eastern Front in detail never before available in English.

Wounded five times and awarded numerous decorations for valor, Bidermann saw action in the Crimea and siege of Sebastopol, participated in the vicious battles in the forests south of Leningrad, and ended the war trapped in the Courland Pocket. He shares his impressions of countless Russian POWs seen at the outset of his service, of peasants struggling to survive the hostilities while caught between two ruthless antagonists, and of corpses littering the landscape. He recalls a Christmas gift of gingerbread from home that overcame the stench of battle, an Easter celebrated with a basket of Russian hand grenades for eggs, and his miraculous survival of machine gun fire at close range. In closing he relives the humiliation of surrender to an enemy whom the Germans had once derided and offers a sobering glimpse into life in the Soviet gulags.

Bidermann's account also debunks the myth of a highly mechanized German army that rolled over weaker opponents with impunity. Despite the vast expanses of territory captured by the Germans during the early months of Operation Barbarossa, the war with Russia remained tenuous and unforgiving.

A must read! IMHO http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

joeap
03-31-2006, 12:08 PM
good one! Will put it on my list of "to read" books.

TX-Zen
03-31-2006, 12:10 PM
Me too, thanks Ivan !

Blutarski2004
03-31-2006, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
Bidermann's account also debunks the myth of a highly mechanized German army that rolled over weaker opponents with impunity. Despite the vast expanses of territory captured by the Germans during the early months of Operation Barbarossa, the war with Russia remained tenuous and unforgiving.

A must read! IMHO http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thank you the recommendation. It's so easy to spend good money on **** books. Word of mouth is valuable.

Agree fully re your point about German mechanization. Only the armored formations were truly motorized. The HUGE numbers of infantry formations were little better off than their WW1 fathers.

The.Tyke
03-31-2006, 02:43 PM
Another good one from the German side. Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger.
A gripping account of life in the trenches from the German side. British snipers and Artillery took a heavy toll on the Germans too.
One of the best war books I've read.

jolly_magpie
03-31-2006, 03:04 PM
Yes, Biderman's book is well done, I enjoyed it very much. Makes a nice break from the endless books on Normandy.

pwengland
03-31-2006, 03:38 PM
Got it from amazon about three weeks ago, although i haven't started it yet. looking foward to it.