PDA

View Full Version : My 5.1 speaker system and IL2 doesn't mix well :(

FatBoyHK
07-13-2005, 05:25 AM
My new cockpit includes a 5.1 speaker system (see here (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/5691092633) for detail). I start using it for gaming since last week, and during this period I have my worst run, K/D dropped from 10 to 2. People keep bouncing me unnoticed and I got killed alot from them... It didn't happen much in the past, as SA is about the only thing I can proud of myself.

I figured out that I can no longer hear the engine of the plane sneaking in behind me. I tried tweaking the sound setting and the speaker system itself, but everything remain the same, or even worse.

In the past I used a high quality headphone, i just tested with it again and I got everything back.... Seem that I need to give up 5.1 and back to the basic, but I really don't want to.

Anyone has experience of setting up a 5.1 to work with this game successfully?

FatBoyHK
07-13-2005, 05:25 AM
My new cockpit includes a 5.1 speaker system (see here (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/5691092633) for detail). I start using it for gaming since last week, and during this period I have my worst run, K/D dropped from 10 to 2. People keep bouncing me unnoticed and I got killed alot from them... It didn't happen much in the past, as SA is about the only thing I can proud of myself.

I figured out that I can no longer hear the engine of the plane sneaking in behind me. I tried tweaking the sound setting and the speaker system itself, but everything remain the same, or even worse.

In the past I used a high quality headphone, i just tested with it again and I got everything back.... Seem that I need to give up 5.1 and back to the basic, but I really don't want to.

Anyone has experience of setting up a 5.1 to work with this game successfully?

Bearcat99
07-13-2005, 05:33 AM
My 5.1s are great.....

FatBoyHK
07-13-2005, 09:20 AM
can you explain a bit more, such as the model you are using, and the setting? And how clearly you can hear from your six?

ColoradoBBQ
07-13-2005, 10:31 AM
I have a 5.1 speaker setup and never hear a plane sneaking up on my six until he fires, which I prefer. I'm even trying to save up for the 5.1 speaker headphone so I can benifit from this at night.

SidCheshire
07-13-2005, 03:31 PM
I use a Soundblaster Audigy card and the Creative 5.1 speakers with the game settings set to "Soundblaster Live" - the sound is great. I have tried it on custom settings but eventually revert back to the Soundblaster setting. I get what I assume to be the normal sounds and love the whistling from the Messerschmitt engines, great reverberation and wind noise from open cockpits.

From what I understand, these sound systems place sounds where they should be, so in effect you wouldn't hear an aircraft on your six until the rounds starting hitting or going past anyway.

Just as a check, I assume the soundcard and the computer sound settings have 5.1 surround sound as the default setting? I found that I had much the same effect as the normal settings also with the card and computer set up with stereo headphones, just cant get used to using them all the time.