PDA

View Full Version : Scoring Prestige and General Campaign Comments

ExitStrategy
03-24-2005, 02:50 PM
First off are all ships tonnage equal? I mean if I kill 100 mundane fishing ships at 100 tons each is it the same as sinking one 10,000 ton super capital ship?

Doesn't seem this should be true but as far as I can tell the campaign does nothing but send you out into random patrol locations and kill whatever doesnt matter what just sink stuff to get as much tonnage as possible. If I sink a ship carrying 1000 tons of fish it is the same value as if I sink a ship with 1000 tons of experimental jet fuel or whatever uber war material you want?

As far as general gripes it seems the campaign objective regularly send me out to some place that I sit around for 24 hours just to meet the mission requirements then motor off to where I really want to hunt.

Not sure why but somehow I expected some more varied missions out of this game. Maybe something other than just patrol this or that.

I looked at the single missions which are kinda nice but they are so contrived and in the ones I tried I was placed into the right position so it was no work for the initial attack setup and just not much fun.

Just some venting as I was expecting a little more the game is great but a little more polish and rounding it out would have been nice.

ExitStrategy
03-24-2005, 02:50 PM
First off are all ships tonnage equal? I mean if I kill 100 mundane fishing ships at 100 tons each is it the same as sinking one 10,000 ton super capital ship?

Doesn't seem this should be true but as far as I can tell the campaign does nothing but send you out into random patrol locations and kill whatever doesnt matter what just sink stuff to get as much tonnage as possible. If I sink a ship carrying 1000 tons of fish it is the same value as if I sink a ship with 1000 tons of experimental jet fuel or whatever uber war material you want?

As far as general gripes it seems the campaign objective regularly send me out to some place that I sit around for 24 hours just to meet the mission requirements then motor off to where I really want to hunt.

Not sure why but somehow I expected some more varied missions out of this game. Maybe something other than just patrol this or that.

I looked at the single missions which are kinda nice but they are so contrived and in the ones I tried I was placed into the right position so it was no work for the initial attack setup and just not much fun.

Just some venting as I was expecting a little more the game is great but a little more polish and rounding it out would have been nice.

Johnny_JG2
03-24-2005, 03:28 PM
I don't see why killing 100 fishing boats wouldn't be a *good* thing. How can an army, or people survive without food? It goes into the economy or war effort one way or the other. I'm sure you would get increased points if you killed a carrier or battleship though.

In real life, that's all the U-boat patrols consisted of: patrolling a given sector in hopes of finding ships and convoys to sink. I think it's pretty realistic in that respect. Sure, it would be kinda cool if they gave you a mission to sneak in to a harbor and kill a brand new battleship that is about to set sail- but that doesn't mean you can't do whatever you want to after you patrol your sector for 24 hours.

abica
03-24-2005, 03:39 PM
From what little I know, patrol orders were issued as in game...get out to sea, open em up, and head to the ordered square. Main difference is BdU had subs moving around alot to different squares in response to intel.

We got back from 3rd patrol in time to celebrate new year 1940. Refitting my VIIb, expect to sail by feb. Im hoping to begin getting orders to intercept convoys in the near future...stalking single C2s is fun, but a larger prize would be nice.

ExitStrategy
03-24-2005, 04:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Johnny_JG2:
I don't see why killing 100 fishing boats wouldn't be a *good* thing. How can an army, or people survive without food? It goes into the economy or war effort one way or the other. I'm sure you would get increased points if you killed a carrier or battleship though.

In real life, that's all the U-boat patrols consisted of: patrolling a given sector in hopes of finding ships and convoys to sink. I think it's pretty realistic in that respect. Sure, it would be kinda cool if they gave you a mission to sneak in to a harbor and kill a brand new battleship that is about to set sail- but that doesn't mean you can't do whatever you want to after you patrol your sector for 24 hours. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey I see the benefit of sinking a bunch of fishermen but it would take a lot more than an equal amount of tonnage to make up for the value of say a hard to replace battleship or carrier.

I like the open endedness of the campaigns but it needs to be punctuated with some variety in the missions other than just go out there and sink as much of whatever you can without any concern if it is a Freighter full of supplies or a tugboat that has no supplies.

I mean do you really think that 100 tons of sinking tugboats is the equivalent of 100 tons of troops/supplies? Or the equivalent of 100 tons of state of the art battleship?

As it is now there is no real incentive to risk sinking a warship unless of course it opens you up to wiping out a whole convoy of easy to kill merchants.

Sinking a battleship is and should be a hard/rare thing but it should give you more renown than just sinking an equivalent number of much more easily replaced tugboats.

And there should be updates saying hey so and so ship is docked at scapa flow so you can hang out outside and try to sink it on the way out or some such. Maybe it would be near impossible to do but hey it should be out there as a possiblity rather than just all random encounters on the high sea.

I just dont think they put a lot of improvements into the campaign side of this game as they should have.