PDA

View Full Version : Nothing but Tactics

JG14_Josf
01-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Aerial Attack Study by John Boyd (http://www.d-n-i.net/boyd/pdf/boydaerialattack.pdf)

The Scissors Maneuver
A good "rule-of-thumb" is: rapid turn overshoot, early reversal; slow turn overshoot, late reversal.

ShaK.
01-21-2007, 10:33 AM
thats pretty cool, thanks for the link

bun-bun195333
01-21-2007, 10:35 AM
Good find... If you're interested in John Boyd there is an excellent biography by Robert Coram.

Father of the F-16, the OODA loop and modern war-fighting...

JG14_Josf
01-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Boyd by Coram is one of my all time favorite books.

It would make a hell of a movie.

Almost forgot the on-topic stuff:

In our discussion of the scissors maneuver, we stated that it is a defensive maneuver designed to take advantage of an attacker's over-shoot. We then proceeded to show how the defender would react to gain this advantage. The implication is clear an attacker places himself in a very serious position if he misjudges the defender's turn and overshoots.

JG14_Josf
01-22-2007, 09:53 AM
The purpose in discussing maneuvers after a turn overshoot is to point out an effective counter to the scissors and, by means of this counter, show that the scissors is highly over-rated as an easy method by which to achieve an offensive advantage.

rmorgansmith
01-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the link to Boyd's work, never seen it but read the Coram book, great stuff in both. I can't believe there are not more references to John Boyd's work on the forums, an overlooked genius. Are there any links to his famous breifings?

JG14_Josf
01-22-2007, 09:12 PM
rmorgansmith,

Try here (http://www.d-n-i.net/second_level/boyd_military.htm)

New Conception for Air-to-Air Combat (August 1976) Although predating and so not included in the Discourse, this briefing is an important way station on the road to the OODA loop. Here is where Boyd concluded that there was something missing in his own energy-maneuverability concept and ended with the observation that "He who can handle the quickest rate of change survives." This proved to be the observation that led Boyd from air-to-air combat towards a more general theory of competition. (1,292 KB .pdf)

That looks promising.

Tactics will utilize any advantage no?

The flying characteristics are exceptional and a pilot new to the type feels at home within the first few minutes of flight. The controls are light and well-harmonized and all manoeuvres can be carried out without difficulty at all speeds. The fact that the Fw 190 does not require re-trimming under all conditions of flight is a particularly good point. The initial acceleration is very good and is particularly noticeable in the initial stages of climb or dive. Perhaps the most outstanding qualities of this aircraft is the remarkable aileron control. It is possible to change from a turn on one direction to a turn in the opposite direction with incredible speed, and when viewed from another aircraft the change appears just as if a flick half-roll had been made.

Even if the only advantage is a higher top speed tactics will utilize any advantage.

OOOOHHH This this (http://www.d-n-i.net/boyd/pdf/fast_transients.pdf) link is a good one:

ORIGINAL PURPOSE
REDUCE AMBIGUITY ASSOCIATED WITH RELATIVE IMPORTANCE OF TURN RADIUS, TURN RATE, AND/OR G IN AIR COMBAT MANEUVRING,

Thanks for the reply.