PDA

View Full Version : Quotes by Pilots of Ki-43

XyZspineZyX
11-08-2003, 07:00 AM
I found interesting quotes by pilots of Ki-43 Hayabusa (Peregrine Falcon) I sort of expected no reply from anyone about it but I don't care, I am proud to serve community of IL2/FB so enjoy reading quotes:

Quotes- Ki43

We were encountering a serious problem by this time. Recent Spitfires seem to have adopted even more powerful engines and and their climb and speed had improved considerably. Chasing and shooting down these enemy fighters with our Hayabusa MkIIs became increasingly difficult. Even if we succeeded in luring them into a close-in dogfight, the skill of the RAF pilots was not bad at all. In clear contrast to the USAAF pilots, the RAF pilots were seasoned veterans. They often seemed to intentionally try to dogfight us rather than using hit-and-run tactics.

So we made our best efforts to improve the rate of climb and maneuvrability of our mounts; stripping down our planes was the primary method. We removed our back armor, head armor (this was also to imrove rear vision), and reduced the number of oxygen bottles.
Sgt. Masahiro Ikeda, 64th Sentai commenting on the state of battle in Burma , 1944
Eiko Hayabusa Sentai ISBN4-87565-305-0

The leader's aircraft suddenly started going into a loop. I'll be in trouble if I don't stick together, so I bull back on the stick with all my might, but I could not follow the leader.

"Oh! The combat flaps!"

I noticed that the combat flaps were sticking out of the leader's trailing edge. I clicked the button on top of my stick and my plane started a loop with a very small radius. I had this convenient tool all along and yet forgot about using it altogether.

I looked down at the top of the loop and there they were! Four dark green Spitfires right beneath us. This was the formation that was chasing us all. They were now 400 meters below us, and were about to come into our range. The sudden reduction of the turning radius must have surprised more than one Spitfire pilot, but now it was too late.
May 5th, 1944 over Imphal, Sgt. Masahiro Ikeda, 64th Sentai

My comment is how interesting about have flap control on control stick. Also remove much weight from Ki-43 to beat game with late model Spitfire.

forget add link... http://www.j-aircraft.com/research/quotes/ki43.html

Regards
SnowLeopard

Message Edited on 11/08/0312:12AM by WereSnowleopard

XyZspineZyX
11-08-2003, 07:00 AM
I found interesting quotes by pilots of Ki-43 Hayabusa (Peregrine Falcon) I sort of expected no reply from anyone about it but I don't care, I am proud to serve community of IL2/FB so enjoy reading quotes:

Quotes- Ki43

We were encountering a serious problem by this time. Recent Spitfires seem to have adopted even more powerful engines and and their climb and speed had improved considerably. Chasing and shooting down these enemy fighters with our Hayabusa MkIIs became increasingly difficult. Even if we succeeded in luring them into a close-in dogfight, the skill of the RAF pilots was not bad at all. In clear contrast to the USAAF pilots, the RAF pilots were seasoned veterans. They often seemed to intentionally try to dogfight us rather than using hit-and-run tactics.

So we made our best efforts to improve the rate of climb and maneuvrability of our mounts; stripping down our planes was the primary method. We removed our back armor, head armor (this was also to imrove rear vision), and reduced the number of oxygen bottles.
Sgt. Masahiro Ikeda, 64th Sentai commenting on the state of battle in Burma , 1944

The leader's aircraft suddenly started going into a loop. I'll be in trouble if I don't stick together, so I bull back on the stick with all my might, but I could not follow the leader.

"Oh! The combat flaps!"

I noticed that the combat flaps were sticking out of the leader's trailing edge. I clicked the button on top of my stick and my plane started a loop with a very small radius. I had this convenient tool all along and yet forgot about using it altogether.

I looked down at the top of the loop and there they were! Four dark green Spitfires right beneath us. This was the formation that was chasing us all. They were now 400 meters below us, and were about to come into our range. The sudden reduction of the turning radius must have surprised more than one Spitfire pilot, but now it was too late.
May 5th, 1944 over Imphal, Sgt. Masahiro Ikeda, 64th Sentai

My comment is how interesting about have flap control on control stick. Also remove much weight from Ki-43 to beat game with late model Spitfire.

forget add link... http://www.j-aircraft.com/research/quotes/ki43.html

Regards
SnowLeopard

Message Edited on 11/08/0312:12AM by WereSnowleopard

XyZspineZyX
11-08-2003, 07:55 AM
Check out the D3A story....

--- -- -

I did it!" I yelled. I was probably the only fool who ever looped a Type 99 with a 250kg bomb.

Kunio Kosemoto, Chief Petty Officer

XyZspineZyX
11-08-2003, 08:57 AM
one of my favs
part from a spitfire book i got.

"One memorable occasion a No 17 Sqn pilot had a ki 43 lined up in his sights from dead astern, and as he went to press the fire button the " Oscar II" started to pull up sharply. He watched him continue to climb through the windscreen, over the top of the fuselage and out of sight to the Spitfire's rear. The next time he saw him was when he looked in his mirror and there he was sat right behind him!. The pilot immediately our favoured escape manover of pushing the stick foward and opening the throttle fully, followed by a boot-full of rudder so as to spiral the spitfire vertically down in tight rolls which we knew in our past experence the Jap pilot couldn't hope to emulate."

http://lamppost.mine.nu/ahclan/files/sigs/spitwhiners1.jpg

XyZspineZyX
11-08-2003, 03:17 PM
nice /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
11-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Thanks...

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

<center><FONT color="red">[b]BlitzPig_EL</FONT>[B]<CENTER> http://old.jccc.net/~droberts/p40/images/p40home.gif
</img>.
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day that it was vanity:
but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible. "
--T.E. Lawrence

XyZspineZyX
11-08-2003, 03:56 PM
Most of the beautiful Mark VIII's were flown in Asia!

Cheers,

XyZspineZyX
11-08-2003, 04:58 PM
Nice
Thank You!

XyZspineZyX
11-08-2003, 05:03 PM
I have my flaps set at the top of my stick on either side of the hat switch! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

<html>
<body>
<p align="center"><a href="http://www.ghostskies.com">http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/crash2.gif
</body>
</html>

XyZspineZyX
11-08-2003, 08:07 PM
you & me both buddy .....