PDA

View Full Version : Gameport vs USB sticks and pedals

infomorph
12-27-2003, 09:12 AM
Is USB the way to go? Or is gameport good enough / fast enough considering WIN XP and the new gaming computers available today. I'm fretting over which way to go when I purchase a CH joystick, pedals, and throttle (I really dislike my Wingman Extreme 3D). Also- is the Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar worth considering with their pedals?
Athlon 1800xp; 512 SDRAM; Verto GeForce MX400; WIN98 SE- Il2 runs great for me.

infomorph
12-27-2003, 09:12 AM
Is USB the way to go? Or is gameport good enough / fast enough considering WIN XP and the new gaming computers available today. I'm fretting over which way to go when I purchase a CH joystick, pedals, and throttle (I really dislike my Wingman Extreme 3D). Also- is the Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar worth considering with their pedals?
Athlon 1800xp; 512 SDRAM; Verto GeForce MX400; WIN98 SE- Il2 runs great for me.

PriK
12-27-2003, 09:32 AM
USB is clearly the way to go if you want to set up multiple devices since you'll be saving yourself an awful headache with configuration. Also, it can be very hard or impossible to mix and match USB and gameport devices.

I just received CH pro pedals USB to add on to a CH pro throttle USB and I was up and running immediately! Combined with a good joystick like the MSFFB2 and TIR you have everything you need for the experience. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://members.rogers.com/4xtreme/chbanner.jpg

Cpt-Madcowz
12-27-2003, 11:00 AM
Either.

I have a USB joystick and gameport pedals from a wheel/pedals set. They both work fine.

I had to have the wheel plugged in as well as the pedals as they are on a Y connector, but I bought another joystick from Oxfam for a 1, ripped the trim wheels and buttons out and built myself a little trim box. Now the wheel goes in the cupboard and I use the box instead.

All works fine on Win 2K.

/Mad

"when the hunter comes, the tiger runs with the dear"

buggggggged
12-27-2003, 01:10 PM
I had an old CH fighter stick that was great, but it was a pain configuring.

infomorph
12-28-2003, 02:36 PM
Yeah, that's what I figured- USB is the way to go. Thanx for the replies.