PDA

View Full Version : Did German fighters use 2 stage superchargers?

XyZspineZyX
10-30-2003, 03:32 AM
Hi all,

Does anybody has a clear answer to this question?
I know that DB605 did not have them.

Did BMW801D and Jumo213A have 2 stage superchargers? In Jumo's case it seems hard to believe, because the supercharger is mounted laterally to the engine.

Can somebody help me with an answer?

Message Edited on 10/30/0302:38AM by georgel02

XyZspineZyX
10-30-2003, 03:32 AM
Hi all,

Does anybody has a clear answer to this question?
I know that DB605 did not have them.

Did BMW801D and Jumo213A have 2 stage superchargers? In Jumo's case it seems hard to believe, because the supercharger is mounted laterally to the engine.

Can somebody help me with an answer?

Message Edited on 10/30/0302:38AM by georgel02

XyZspineZyX
10-30-2003, 04:08 AM
georgel02 wrote:
- Hi all,
-
- Does anybody has a clear answer to this question?
- I know that DB605 did not have them.
-
- Did BMW801D and Jumo213A have 2 stage superchargers?
- In Jumo's case it seems hard to believe, because the
- supercharger is mounted laterally to the engine.
-
- Can somebody help me with an answer?

As far as serial production single seat fighters went, there were no 2 stage superchargers.

There were several high altitude fighters under development. The Me-155/BV-155 maybe of interest to you, with the DB628:

http://www.4reference.net/encyclopedias/wikipedia/Blohm_und_Voss_Bv_155.html

There were also several developments of the FW-190 family. FW 190 V18 was a prototype for the FW-190 C series, and the V18/U1 version had a TK 11 exhaust driver supercharger on the DB603 inline. I don't know much about the TK 11, but that could be worth looking into. The TK 11 was also used on a Ju 88 test version as well.

Hope this helps /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

"As weaponry, both were good, but in far different ways from each other. In a nutshell, I describe it this way: if the FW 190 was a sabre, the 109 was a florett, or foil, like that used in the precision art of fencing." - Gunther Rall

XyZspineZyX
10-30-2003, 04:14 AM
What about the Ta-152? Or was it a non-production version that had the huge exaust duct to the back of the cockpit? Or am I smoking something?

Gib

No fancy quote or cool photo.... YET

XyZspineZyX
10-30-2003, 04:26 AM
Gibbage1 wrote:
- What about the Ta-152? Or was it a non-production
- version that had the huge exaust duct to the back of
- the cockpit? Or am I smoking something?
-
- Gib

I'm not sure which version that as, but I'm fairly sure it was not a serial version (anyone know more?)

A bit more on the subject. There is also the DB 605 L which is refered to as having a 2-stage supercharger. This is the engine that was to have been used in the Bf-109 K14.Interesting as some sources state small numbers of these were delivered to the Luftwaffe in the last few months of the war (whenthey could have done very little with them).

Also, a discussion on the DB series engines with comparsions to allied types with 2-stage superchargers.

http://w1.1861.telia.com/~u186104874/db605.htm

"As weaponry, both were good, but in far different ways from each other. In a nutshell, I describe it this way: if the FW 190 was a sabre, the 109 was a florett, or foil, like that used in the precision art of fencing." - Gunther Rall

XyZspineZyX
10-30-2003, 04:27 AM
Though I am no expert, I believe FW190A (BMW801) series used single stage, two speed superchargers (controlled by the 'Kommandergerat' system). I am unfamiliar with the Jumo engines. This from reading reports of how the Kommandergerat system changed supercharger 'gears'; I assume the supercharger 'gears' refers to this.

XyZspineZyX
10-30-2003, 04:33 AM
Oops, looks like I'm much to slow http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. As a side note, it appears the Jumo213E engine (in the Ta-152H I believe) used a two stage three speed supercharger. God bless high alititude piston engine prop fighters.

XyZspineZyX
10-30-2003, 04:34 AM
NegativeGee wrote:
- georgel02 wrote:
-- Hi all,
--
-- Does anybody has a clear answer to this question?
-- I know that DB605 did not have them.
--
-- Did BMW801D and Jumo213A have 2 stage superchargers?
-- In Jumo's case it seems hard to believe, because the
-- supercharger is mounted laterally to the engine.
--
-- Can somebody help me with an answer?
-
- As far as serial production single seat fighters
- went, there were no 2 stage superchargers.

That's what I thought. But do you have a good source for this? Or at least some pics with BMW801D and Jumo213A superchargers clearly visible (preffered detached from the engine)? I'm especially interested in BMW801 supercharger, I never saw a pic with it.

I found something on Jumo:

http://jagdhund.homestead.com/files/DoraData/junkers_jumo_213a.htm

XyZspineZyX
10-30-2003, 06:04 AM
Gibbage1 wrote:
- What about the Ta-152? Or was it a non-production
- version that had the huge exaust duct to the back of
- the cockpit? Or am I smoking something?
-
-

That was the Fw190V18/U1 "Kangaruh", W.Nr. 0 040. The V18/U2 became a prototype Ta152.

http://www.thundercycle.com/photos/dropdead2.gif

"Only a dead 'chamber pot' is a good 'chamber pot'!"