PDA

View Full Version : complex engine mgmt...the bf-109

Grand_Armee
07-14-2007, 05:33 PM
I know that the 109 had an automatic prop pitch control, and to me, complex engine mgmt seems to mean only to look at the temp. gauge to avoid overheating. There are enough 'auto' settings to keep me from being overtaxed.

However, I'm often passed by other 109's while I'm flat out on throttle. Maybe some of you other 109 jocks could give me some pointers on squeezing that last bit of speed outta my Daimler Benz engine.

Thanks...in advancehttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Grand_Armee
07-14-2007, 05:33 PM
I know that the 109 had an automatic prop pitch control, and to me, complex engine mgmt seems to mean only to look at the temp. gauge to avoid overheating. There are enough 'auto' settings to keep me from being overtaxed.

However, I'm often passed by other 109's while I'm flat out on throttle. Maybe some of you other 109 jocks could give me some pointers on squeezing that last bit of speed outta my Daimler Benz engine.

Thanks...in advancehttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DKoor
07-14-2007, 05:40 PM
109 is one of the best ac in game regarding this.....you don't have to do anything in order to keep it flying under all conditions.
Do not mess with prop pitch you'll get owned fast and besides there is 0% gain when using manual pp......on the contrary you get less performance with manual pp.

The only thing I can suggest is to open your rad sometimes during climb (but only in non combat occasions).....to avoid rapid overheat.....it'll somewhat prolong the overheat time.

You don't have superchargers nor you can manage a fuel mixture....a big plus to 109 in this regard.

p-11.cAce
07-14-2007, 06:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> However, I'm often passed by other 109's while I'm flat out on throttle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Keep in mind that flying is not like driving - in any way. Besides CEM settings you have things like rads (already mentioned)...but then you have really important things like:
Always flying coordinated - keep the ball centered, every moment it is not centered you are bleeding speed.
Fly smooth - abrubt and significant control inputs wipe speed fast...better to use small and smooth inputs to keep your drag lower and your speed up.
If you put your nose on a target you will never catch it - you have to fly an intercept course. This is the biggest mistake people make and attribute to some AI uberness or CEM issues. Fly properly and you will not get left behind.

Grand_Armee
07-14-2007, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys! I have to admit that I find it frustrating when I'm just about within blasting range and one of my AI flyers takes out my target having just swooped in.

horseback
07-14-2007, 07:54 PM
It's easy to fix that-just edit your campaign missions to limit your wingmen to Average or less before starting the mission.

The sole function of the friendly Ace or Veteran in a campaign is to steal the Player's kills.

cheers

horseback