PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed Update!

Optimusv2
09-28-2006, 11:37 PM
Some awesome info here for people that didn't know.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/736/736396p1.html

As Altair, a medieval hitman with a mysterious past (Raymond confirmed that he's not a time traveler), you have free reign to explore vast cities and countryside. You will investigate your targets by exploring, eavesdropping and even picking pockets for clues on his whereabouts. When you have three clues-- and there are many more you can choose to find through thorough investigation -- you can then move to the assassination stage, using "social stealth" to blend in with crowds, searching for handholds to scale castle walls, using killer's intuition to hone in on the target and, finally, sinking a blade in his gullet.

In order to control Altair, Ubisoft attached four "puppet strings." One to his head (the Y button) his weapon hand (X), off hand (B) and his lower body (A). The right trigger has been jokingly dubbed "emotional control" by Raymond and her team. In short, it is a strength modifier. While walking, hold it down to run. While swashbuckling, hold it down for a lumbering power strike.

Using Y, you will do things like eavesdrop and use intuition. A, then, would be used to jump. An interesting control feature is climbing, done in a way we've never seen before. We didn't get a chance to touch the controller, but you will actually feel for handholds, like rock climbing. With it, Altair can climb anywhere in the world where there is a decent grip, and we're hoping he has a chance to move up the tallest of towers while sneaking past the castle guard.

There wasn't much more news out of Ubisoft's camp, except that the team is trying to put together a package of downloadable content that Raymond could only say is "something ambitious." She hinted slightly at extended gameplay and possibly even some kind of multiplayer -- the team did create a prototype multiplayer and co-op mode. But, as of now, there is still nothing to announce.

While the PlayStation 3 and 360 versions of Assassin's Creed are virtually identical, Raymond did say that on the 360 the team is putting a special emphasis on achievements. The hardware also allows for improved threading, which will improve even further the crowd AI.

zgubilici
09-28-2006, 11:39 PM
Please post this in the all known facts thread (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/5701064934/p/2). Thankshttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SpiderFreak
09-28-2006, 11:44 PM
Whoa, nice find. I was kind of suprised by the ending where it talked about the 360 having slightly better crowd AI or whatever. I mean, I know that the 360 and PS3 are basically the same, adn that the 360's cores have better interaction with one another than the PS3's, but I didn't expect it to enable stuff like this.

One thing, though, that doesn't sound so cool, is how we HAVE to gather three pieces of information about our target because we can assassinate (or at least that's what the article implies). I mean, I can understand if they give you a target and you have no info other than a name having to get some more info, but...No matter what the mission (I assume), we have to get three pieces of info? Sounds kind of annoying. Esspecially if you're playing the game over again and know exactly who to kill.

SF

Optimusv2
09-29-2006, 12:03 AM
With this game putting so much emphasis on AI and animations its the reason I immediately wanted this game for my 360 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

etothevizzle
09-29-2006, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by SpiderFreak:
Whoa, nice find. I was kind of suprised by the ending where it talked about the 360 having slightly better crowd AI or whatever. I mean, I know that the 360 and PS3 are basically the same, adn that the 360's cores have better interaction with one another than the PS3's, but I didn't expect it to enable stuff like this.

One thing, though, that doesn't sound so cool, is how we HAVE to gather three pieces of information about our target because we can assassinate (or at least that's what the article implies). I mean, I can understand if they give you a target and you have no info other than a name having to get some more info, but...No matter what the mission (I assume), we have to get three pieces of info? Sounds kind of annoying. Esspecially if you're playing the game over again and know exactly who to kill.

SF

"When you have three clues-- and there are many more you can choose to find through thorough investigation -- you can then move to the assassination stage"

i think what this means is that there are many many forms of info you can find...maybe u eaves drop on some people talking about where some guy is hanging a bunch of people, or you learn that a guard has info on where your target's house is and u have to pickpocket him inorder to retrieve it...i think they will have plenty of different forms of info to keep you occupied when replaying the game

UKW5
09-29-2006, 09:36 AM
As a PS3 developer, i would like to say that there is no way the three cores of the Xbox 360 would give any game better AI performance over the 7 Cores of the PS3 unless the developer is blindly enough using 4 or more threads out of the 6 overall threads available for the 360 version while for the PS3 version they are just using only 2 cores out of the 7 for AI. Someone at ubisoft is probably being mistranslated for the press to think that the Xbox 360 version will have better AI performance than the PS3 version unless you don't believe that both hardwares were designed with specific advantages and disadvantages. That's my 2 cents for now.

r3dreck
09-29-2006, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by SCEEUK:
As a PS3 developer, i would like to say that there is no way the three cores of the Xbox 360 would give any game better AI performance over the 7 Cores of the PS3 unless the developer is blindly enough using 4 or more threads out of the 6 overall threads available for the 360 version while for the PS3 version they are just using only 2 cores out of the 7 for AI. Someone at ubisoft is probably being mistranslated for the press to think that the Xbox 360 version will have better AI performance than the PS3 version unless you don't believe that both hardwares were designed with specific advantages and disadvantages. That's my 2 cents for now.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154110

UKW5
09-29-2006, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by redneck666:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SCEEUK:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154110 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and your point is?

r3dreck
09-29-2006, 01:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by redneck666:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SCEEUK:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154110 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and your point is? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dont have one just putting that out there for ya... really tho who gives a **** which system is better. Wait you do, well I dont.

BOMB654
09-29-2006, 05:36 PM
This was stated by someone on 1up, but it sounds pretty accurate giving the situation with AC.

AI is something that can only be put on a general purpose core. The reason is because AI needs a thread that can handle branch prediction. The PS3 has 2 threads total that can do this. The 360 has 6. Although this doesn't affect the quality of a single "unique AI", it effects the quantity of unique AI that the PS3 can handle. In short, the PS3 will have less unique AI, alot of the same AI sets will be used over and over again in the PS3 version. In the 360 version, a different unique AI set can be used for every member of the crowd.

The real kicker is that this will hold true in all games that require alot of unique AI sets, not just Assasins Creed.

If that statement is correct then obviously the Cell is not all its cracked up to be as far as being used as a game CPU goes.

HorTyS
09-29-2006, 07:10 PM
and your point is?

i'm not a 'techie' so i don't know exactly what all this means, but:

However bad off Xenon will be in that department, the PS3's Cell will probably be worse. The Cell has only one PPE to the Xenon's three, which means that developers will have to cram all their game control, AI, and physics code into at most two threads that are sharing a very narrow execution core with no instruction window. (Don't bother suggesting that the PS3 can use its SPEs for branch-intensive code, because the SPEs lack branch prediction entirely.) Furthermore, the PS3's L2 is only 512K, which is half the size of the Xenon's L2. So the PS3 doesn't get much help with branches in the cache department.

Source: http://arstechnica.com/

r3dreck
09-29-2006, 07:16 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/29/assassins-creed-360-h...ys-ubisoft-producer/ (http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/29/assassins-creed-360-has-superior-ai-says-ubisoft-producer/)

BOMB654
09-29-2006, 08:53 PM
^^^ What he said. I'm not a huge nerd so I have no clue as to what he is saying.

sCM_redruM
09-30-2006, 09:51 AM
I love the fact that you need to do your own recon work instead of just eagle eyeing the guy and swoopiing in for the kill...

I hope the clues are tough to come by and really need strategy in order to obtain the information needed...I hope they don't just point you into the direction of where the so called "eavesdropping conversation" is and boom, you listen in, get the info and that's one clue...

I hope you need to scour the village, looking for these tidbits, because not only does that get you the info you need, you'll also be learning the town unconsciously, which can only help you when trying to escape...

I don't know about you guys, but I want my assassination well planned, well laid out, and multiple escape routes in case plan A goes haywire and I need to resort to a backup plan...Forcing the player to actually acquire the clues can really help in teaching the player shortcuts and different pathways throughout each village...

freestylegr
09-30-2006, 11:34 AM
BOMB654: so, if someone knows a lot of stuff is automatically, a nerd/geek/dork or whatever else?

sCM_redruM: villages? they are 3 cities, man.