PDA

View Full Version : My first depthcharging. I mean good 1.

WilhelmSchulz.-
10-19-2005, 04:32 PM
I get a convoy report and go to the northern approches to head them off. I run into a V&W. He hears me and comes puttin over and drops a couple. Click-WHAM!!! click-WHAM!!! CLICK- WHAM!!! WHAM WHAM WHAM! 3 Bull's-eyes and 4 cloes ones. U-52 is flung about willy nilly. actulay tilting 90deg. off the virtical. The Aft torpedo room is flooding, I send a damage control party back there. 2 of his frends show up. They drop plenty more DC's but no where as clode as the first run. Actuly they get 1 more DC run in before they lose contact. I loose them and surface at night. Deck Guned a C2 with a DD within 10 min of me. Im trying to evade on the surface.(had to save and get off.)

WilhelmSchulz.-
10-19-2005, 04:32 PM
I get a convoy report and go to the northern approches to head them off. I run into a V&W. He hears me and comes puttin over and drops a couple. Click-WHAM!!! click-WHAM!!! CLICK- WHAM!!! WHAM WHAM WHAM! 3 Bull's-eyes and 4 cloes ones. U-52 is flung about willy nilly. actulay tilting 90deg. off the virtical. The Aft torpedo room is flooding, I send a damage control party back there. 2 of his frends show up. They drop plenty more DC's but no where as clode as the first run. Actuly they get 1 more DC run in before they lose contact. I loose them and surface at night. Deck Guned a C2 with a DD within 10 min of me. Im trying to evade on the surface.(had to save and get off.)

Kaleun1961
10-19-2005, 05:23 PM
Schulzy, how much damage did they do? I mean hull damage % and did they total any of your systems?

ILikePortillos
10-19-2005, 05:28 PM
That is some rattling stuff (no pun intended). It's weird though, I've been shaken pretty badly like you mentioned in the single missions, but I was hit by only half a dozen or so DCs when my first career ended. It just shows there's a difference when they're accurate. I think when my career ended, the DCs were practically rolling off my hull and exploding underneath me.

WilhelmSchulz.-
10-19-2005, 05:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kaleun1961:
Schulzy, how much damage did they do? I mean hull damage % and did they total any of your systems? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>100% hull, Stern dive planes jamed and stern tube damaged. And the air compressure of course.

Kaleun1961
10-19-2005, 05:54 PM
Considering the rock and roll you enjoyed, you got off fairly lightly. In similar situations, I've had major damage, severe leaks which had to be fixed immediately and the like. A while ago I lost a Kaleun from water leakage. Using the knowledge I gained recently about the pump icons, I was able to determine the most important damage to repair, did so, but the boat still dove. I blew ballast several times and finally arrested the plunge of the boat. She got down to about 290 metres and was on her way up, when the hull imploded at around 260. It was such a shame, seeing as how I had pulled it back from the brink, only to have it rupture on the way up. I play "dead is dead" so I had to abandon that career.

Kaleun1961
10-19-2005, 05:55 PM
Considering our discussion in another thread, what was your setting for vulnerability? Was it on or off? If it was off, that may have had something to do with it. If it was on, then you were a lucky boy.

WilhelmSchulz.-
10-19-2005, 07:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kaleun1961:
If it was on, then you were a lucky boy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Lucky indeed. It was on.

Chrystine
10-20-2005, 07:39 AM

Interesting€¦

€œ She got down to about 290 metres and was on her way up, when the hull imploded at around 260.€
~ K-61

I€ve been wondering for quite some time whether that could happen.
Now I know.

I wonder as well €" is that realistic?
It seems to me it would be €" but I honestly haven€t the faintest clue.
Seems it would be if it€s just the amount of stress to the hull over a €˜long-enough€ period of time, in which case, it could as easily occur when decreasing depth as increasing.

Glad you made it all right there Wilhelm. A lil€ too close for comfort, huh?

It was one single wabbo that took out U-53 €" and that was at 13 meters.

Best,

~ C.